Feeds

back to article China's broadband population is SHRINKING

China’s internet population reached a whopping 530 million over the past six months, but its broadband subscriber base actually shrank as mobile became the most popular way for users to get online for the first time. The government’s latest twice-yearly data dump, the Statistical Report on Internet Development in China, recorded …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

It was to be expected

This is to be expected, China is a developing country and even with cheap labour (not so cheap any more in China) digging up the ground to connect every individual locations to the phone system is always going to be more expensive than a hub and spoke system where you don't have to pay for the spokes. Which is how mobile works. Also in China there is a lot of turnover in jobs and accommodation. Having to get 12 month BB contracts and maybe change that every year or less is just a PITA. Also unless you have fibre even 3G can be faster and lets not even talk about 4G, though living in London I probably won't have to think about that for quiet a few years.

It's clear Moors Law is working on mobile. It's not working on digging up holes in the ground. So China, just like every where else will move to mobile for BB because it's cheaper to roll out the infrastructure and move convenient for the end user.

Now all we need is Apple or Google to say "fuck it, let's become a carrier" and turn the the current carriers into data pipes and see the prices slashed.

I still prefer wires..

My understanding is that wireless is limited by physics - and can be blocked etc.

I'm sure at some point in the future we'll have global fast secure reliable wireless, but until thenn a wired connection does me just fine.

Re: I still prefer wires..

Wires can be blocked by backhoes.

This topic is closed for new posts.