Feeds

back to article Darth Vader is a pansy

American country music doesn't appeal to me, but Johnny Cash atoned for its worst sins. Whitney Houston’s foghorn cover of Dolly Parton’s funeral-favourite I will always love you could finally be forgiven when Cash returned the favour with his version of Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus. But if you had turned up at the wrong …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alistair Dabbs is a pansy

And black + chrome = classic.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Silly man

If your next computer is blood red, how do you expect it to remain undetected while conducting covert aerial bombing raids?

*My* computer on the other hand is a perfectly sensible black colour and is so stealthy I have trouble finding the bloody thing at times.

FAIL

Red doesn't work either

The villain in the recent Green Hornet film tried the red costume thing and that didn't work.

(To be fair, Russian gangsters and comedy don't work. I think it's because Russian gangsters aren't funny.)

Anonymous Coward

Are over 30's always saying the word cool, cool?

Honestly! I'd be worried.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Are over 30's always saying the word cool, cool?

I had two kids (1.9 & 3.5 years of age) running around the living room, chasing balloons, and exclaiming 'Das ist cool!'. So I guess 'cool' is all right for all ages now.

re: cool>30

Yes, we're well wicked.

Bronze badge
Pirate

Growing older is compulsory.

Growing up is optional.

Silver badge

yup

only rad dads are kool for skool.

My teenager threatened to volutarily go into care if I ever said that in public.

Black is fine for a laptop although hers is non descript sticker covered colour. I think it was grey to begin with.

Wood Jerry, Wood

All technology is made cooler by the addition of wood. Just look at Moog synthesizers.

This is scientific fact.

Silver badge
Stop

Re: Wood Jerry, Wood

Swan vestas are cooler than flame-throwers then are they?

I'd hazard to say that most things, lucifer matches included, are cooler than a flamethrower. Napalm burns pretty damn hot, after all!

Anonymous Coward

"All technology is made cooler by the addition of wood. Just look at Moog synthesizers."

Esp. when they're playing Country Moog, e.g. Folsom Prison Blues (iircc)

Silver badge
Happy

And for those without the 'leet skills to carpenter themselves up a wooden PC, there's always fablon!

Bronze badge

excuse me The Black Hole is an Awesome movie .

Silver badge
Thumb Up

The book was good as well. One of many penned by Alan Dean Foster (he also wrote Aliens and the hilarious Dark Star.

I've always had a soft spot for this Commonwealth series although they are a bit quirky. It's not always clear what age range he's targeting there.

Silver badge
Stop

But "Splinter of the Mind's Eye"...

...is probably best forgotten, given the relationship between Luke & Leia...

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

seconded

The Black Hole is indeed a great movie. Great special effects for the time, interesting characters, good actors, and really rather dark despite the star wars inspired friendly droids.

third-ed...but right about one thing - Maximillan was a serious bad ass. Even the terminators don't enjoy disembowelment as much as him.

"excuse me The Black Hole is an Awesome movie"

Maybe you should go and watch it again. Any film that has a robot talking like a cowboy old-timer with a lisp is definitely NOT awesome.

Re: "excuse me The Black Hole is an Awesome movie"

Nah - it was pretty cool - especially if you were 10 years old.

It also meant you didn't read anything homo-erotic into the whole maximilian/Reinhardt thing at the end. You just wondered what the f* was going on.

Happy

Re: But "Splinter of the Mind's Eye"...

> ...is probably best forgotten, given the relationship between Luke & Leia...

I have a copy of that at home somewhere. I wonder if it'll sell well on some of the more outre websites?

Anonymous Coward

> One of many penned by Alan Dean Foster (he also wrote Aliens and the hilarious Dark Star.

Alan Dean Foster did the novelisation of Dark Star and Alien(s).

Dan O'Bannon wrote Dark Star and co-wrote Alien. He also played the not quite Sgt. Pinback in Dark Star.

Alan Dean Foster is OK, but tends to whore himself out for pulp book versions of film and TV; he's done a lot of trashy Star Wars / Star Trek novels for example.

I did enjoy The Damned Trilogy though. Aliens rock up to planet Earth to subjugate the puny humans, the aliens quickly realise the puny humans are violently insane by galactic standards, the puny humans wreck the alien's shit.

One of the influences in TBH was Faust - Maximillian represents Mephistopholes/the devil, Rheinhardt is Faust, which is why when he attempts to pass the secrets he's obtained over to Durant Maximillian kills him. When Rheinhardt whispers to Kate 'Protect me from Maximillian' he's asking her to save him from his own actions as Faust does

The bit at the end when they merge and you see Max on top of a mountain looking down over a desolate, red landscape is supposed to represent hell, and the merging is Max taking Rheinhardt's soul as payment for his knowledge.

Great movie that at least had the courage to have a degree of pretentiousness even if it did have robots named VINCent & B.O.B.

Silver badge
Mushroom

I'm sorry but Slim Pickens doing anything is extremely cool. He WAS a cowboy old-timer!

He could have just read the phone book and it would have been entertaining.

Anonymous Coward

Indeed. No happy ending and very dark for a Disney film.

Bronze badge
Boffin

book

"The book was good as well. One of many penned by Alan Dean Foster"

Very true.

I have a 'first edition' where "The Black Hole" is printed horizontally in crumbling letters , rather than the vertical 'down the plughole' text of later versions.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=wikipedia&q=isbn%3A034524267X

"Author:Alan Dean Foster"

Yes, it's 'only' a novelization but if you buy the book he'll be shown as the author and will - presumably - get the bulk of the royalties if not all of them. It is therefore correct to say that he 'penned' it in my opinion. As for the rest - can't really disagree there. He has 'whored himself' out. However most of his work is enjoyable and I have quite a few of them on my shelves.

Bronze badge

No one's mentioned the "zombies". (and they were in all-Black, IIRC)

Enjoyed it when I was young, perhaps it's time to renew the acquaintence. Though it might be a biit spooky for my son, and I don't fancy the task of explaining the ending to him.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

80's black on black hifi

Every item of music equipment went black in the 80s, even to the extent of having black labels on black backgrounds. I think they wanted to distinguish themselves from the beige/grey/teak/brushed aluminium of the 70s. User friendly it was not.

Silver badge

Re: 80's black on black hifi

80s black stuff...

I also like the way 80s stuff was black with primary or pastel-coloured text and lines, denoting the functions of buttons and the like.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Re: 80's black on black hifi

What year was it that all the people on my council estate who lacked taste started painting their internal doors black and buying one of everything from the Argos black-ash living room set range?

Thumb Up

t-shirt

That is possibly the most awesomest t-shirt ever created by man. In fact I might change my name to Cunty McFuckoff. :o)

Silver badge

Re: t-shirt

Times change - in the early 90s a guy was fined for wearing an Inspiral Carpets "Cool as Fuck" t-shirt (ISTR that the band stumped up the wonga...)

Ob bad friday joke (from a few weeks ago) - Have you heard about Darth Vader's Really Evil brother? His name's Taxi.

Bronze badge

The t-shirt was from smellyourmum.com

Coat

I'll have to pass that name to my son, as I took Scrottie McBoogerBalls a while ago...

Bronze badge

And that's SAINT Cunty McFuckoff to you.

Alistair

Another domain name proving that punctuation (or at least whitespace) serves a purpose.

Thumb Up

"The t-shirt was from smellyourmum.com"

Awesome. There are so many things there that I need to have. :D

Meh

Every reply downvoted? Wow, someone's a miserable bastard.

Anonymous Coward

Naughty words on a t shirt - can't get any further from cool than that. Apart from the prats with fuck off tattooed on their necks.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: "Every reply downvoted?"

Yes, I scrolled down the thread seeing one downvote after the other mostly on entirely innocuous posts where there was no apparent rhyme or reason to the vote. Most peculiar - some saddo I expect.

Happy

"Whitney Houston’s foghorn cover of Dolly Parton’s funeral-favourite I will always love you"

God bless you for that. I knew I couldn't be the only one.

Silver badge
Megaphone

Re: "Whitney Houston’s foghorn cover of Dolly Parton’s funeral-favourite I will always love you"

I just want to thank Alistair for finally giving me the proper description of Whitney Houston's singing. I've been trying to come up with a good adjective, and 'foghorn' fits the bill perfectly.

Icon - Bullhorn, Foghorn... close enough

Re: "Whitney Houston’s foghorn cover of Dolly Parton’s funeral-favourite I will always love you"

A guy I worked with at the time said, "there's a gob looking for half a ton of cement".

Silver badge
WTF?

Wot, no H2G2 references?

Disaster Area's spaceship, anyone?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Wot, no H2G2 references?

Exactly! A black keyboard with black letters and black buttons that light up black to let you know you've pressed them...

Silver badge

<cough> Hagunenon spacecraft...

Thumb Up

DEDs, right? Dark-Emitting Diodes...

Bronze badge
Windows

Black legend-less keyboard??

I SO seriously want one of them! Missus could never use my computer again, or search the history to find out what pr0n I'd visited....Nice the black USB cable (according to the spec) has been approved by Darth Vader..

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.