Feeds

back to article Washington State to allow voter registration via Facebook

Social networks are rife with online polls, but beginning as early as next week, residents of Washington State will have a new way to sign up for the real things, when Washington becomes the first US state to allow citizens to register to vote via Facebook. "In this age of social media and more people going online for services, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Ready, Aim, Fire

The GOP Anger Missles. The screams of voter fraud will echo through halls during the upcoming GOP conference.

Pint

Re: Ready, Aim, Fire

For the RepubliCLOWNs just one possibly improper (not illegal) voter registration in 100,000 is "evidence of massive voter fraud" whereas if 1,000 people are denied the right to register because of virtually "poll tax" requirements, they're just protecting the integrity of the voter system... Buffoons and worse...

Beer, because it's wine o'clock somewhere and El Reg won't give me a wine glass...

Silver badge

Now all my friends can register

Even though they none of them actually reside in the state of Washington. This yields to the saying:

Vote early, vote often.

Look for those headstones and register even more bodies. Do you need to be alive? Do you need to be old enough (over 18 years currently)?

In regards to the last question, there was a discussion I saw that indicated that it was not very easy to verify a person's age on the client side of a browser. I have doubts that this function will be any easier in this instance.

My take: This is a bad idea (but that is my opinion!).

Joke

Re: Now all my friends can register

Now, I'm no expert but I'm guessing that the local government might have an electoral roll of people eligible to vote an they would be checking this against all forms of voter registration.

To allow anyone to register just because they have a Facebook account that shows they live in the area, well that would just be daft!

Anonymous Coward

And you would be wrong. When you move to a different state in the US, there is no requirement whatsoever to declare the move to the authorities, unless you want a new driver license. Think about that.

Silver badge

Declaring the move to the new state to get your drivers license won't do anything about your name being on the registration rolls. Part of the reason for the mass push to clean up the voter rolls is because newspapers have reported on people who are voting in multiple states because they have addresses in both locations.

And it's not just live people or fake FB people, just today we have reports of 1,000 dead people on the polls in MD with 9,000 challengeable irregularities: (http://washingtonexaminer.com/md.-group-challenges-1000-voter-registrations/article/2502539). Down in Florida where less than 2000 votes decided the agressively disputed Bush-Gore election, they report 180,000 bad registrations (http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/1290701).

FB only exacerbates the problem, but the choice is not unexpected on the left coast.

FAIL

I know I'm going to register most of my facebook personalities to vote in Washington. Eventually those fools will allow online voting so I'll get lots of votes. I can't wait!

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Now all my friends can register - Tom 13

Unless you're living in some sort of alternate universe or some U.S. State those commies (GOP) haven't infiltrated you have probably don't have the wherewithal to accept the rest of the county has moved on or the fact It does invalidate your voter registration when you apply for a drivers license in any state that has a motor-voter law. I'm betting your State doesn't have motor-voter legislation does it?

7:1 odds Tom 13 hasn't ever voted in a national election and .2:1 never even registered to vote.

Regardless you've totally missed out on the point of a a Republic. Poor bastard you. Should've paid more attention in Civics class.

Silver badge

Re: Now all my friends can register - Tom 13

You really need to lay off the Progressive Kool-Aid. I happen to be a local precinct chairman in a State (well actually a left coast People's Republic) with a Motor Voter law and as a result am VERY familiar with what an EPIC level of FAIL it is. And I've been proudly voting GOP since about the time of Reagan.

Anonymous Coward

What could possibly fo wrong?

Bitches

Joke

Imagine if this happened here...

"Cousin John liked Jeremy Hunt"

"Your mum liked David Mlliband"

"Uncle Jim liked Boris Johnson"

"Aunty Mabel liked the BNP!" lol

Anonymous Coward

So all the teddy bears,

cartoon characters, separate business/pleasure accounts, marketing sockpuppets etc. can vote now?

Anonymous Coward

"In this age of social media and more people going online for services, this is a natural way to introduce people to online registration"

Just because the great-unwashed are using social media, it doesn't mean you have to pander to them!

Happy

Why stop there?

They could use the poll feature for actual voting.

This topic is closed for new posts.