Feeds

back to article McDonalds staff 'rough up' prof with home-made techno-spectacles

A man wearing computer-assisted spectacles was assaulted by staff in a Parisian McDonalds, who tried to pull the glasses off his head then threw him out of the restaurant, according to a blog post written by the victim. The staff seemed angered by the high-tech vision-ware worn by Dr Steve Mann who is an academic at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

You would need your eyes testing ...

... if you go to McDonalds. How could you mistake it for somewhere where you can eat food?

Silver badge

WTF was he doing in a McDonalds in Paris anyway? Paris allegedly home to cuisine cooking after all...

Anonymous Coward

Hey, it's international cuisine alright

they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is: they call it a "Royale with Cheese."

Bronze badge

You've never been to France, have you?

Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant

"You've never been to France, have you?

Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant"

What the fuck are you talking about?

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Hey, it's international cuisine alright

What do they call a Big Mac?

Thumb Down

Kids

Read the original blog piece. He was there with his kids. You going to take your kids for steak tartare? Frog legs, oysters or escargots?

Anonymous Coward

That is where you have the problem, thinking Paris has good food

In my experience about food in French restaurant is either badly under-cooked, burned, tasteless or rubbery...

And that is when i'm taken out by locals who say they are 'good' restaurants.

McDonalds started to look tempting after a couple of days being 'treated' to 'good' food...

And personally I avoid McDonalds as much as possible.....

Anonymous Coward

@Mr Tumnus

""You've never been to France, have you?

Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant"

What the fuck are you talking about?"

I suspect he was saying that French restaurants are pretty bad in Paris... I agree totally with him, avoid the French restaurants, the food is usually barely edible, the only good restaurant food in Paris are not French..

Really I have no idea where the myth of French food being great and British food being bad comes from.. IMHO the British food is 1000 times better than French, why? because our food is not just British, our cuisine is truly international and we take the best food from around the world and integrate it into our own, and have been doing so for centuries.

Anonymous Coward

He's being anti-French Cuisine and pro-Saxon cusine. Possibly he is an elaborate troll, or simply very much likes sausage and sauerkraut. Or rostis ;)

Nev
Stop

Tourist Food

"In my experience about food in French restaurant is either badly under-cooked, burned, tasteless or rubbery..."

That's the stuff they dish out to tourists.

They save it for when the a tourists turn up asking for a "Steak 'n' Chips, And cooked properly, none of your bleu rubbish neither!"

Silver badge

Whilst I don't blame people for not finding the best food in Paris, you are way off the mark. Paris has some amazing food, much of it well priced if you can find it.

You have to remember Paris is a capital city full of tourists, therefore many restaurants (especially before internet review sites) traded on their location and an endless supply of American tourists. The same can be said of Rome and London (to a lesser extent), lots of crap trading on location or a brand name who don't care if you never come back.

So to find good food in Paris you need to get lost. Good, cheap places usually cannot afford prime locations and rely on locals. They probably aren't all that welcoming to tourists. Learn some French, even a dumb ross bif like me can get a table and order food and wine in French with only a few sentences. Once they see you try they help, it's about respect. When you find somewhere off the beaten path, check the window and bar for signs of Budweiser, if you see any move on. When you walk in you want to hear French and nothing else, a single "gee honey, whats a crock monster" and you need to find somewhere else. Oh and order lots of wine!

At least in Paris they don't wave waiters in the street trying to force you into their restaurant like they do in Rome! In short find somewhere that trades on its food. Otherwise its like judging new orleans creole food based on a microwave meal.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Kids

How bout Coq Au Vin. You coq.

Silver badge

Actually yes, but thats besides the point. No reason kids can't eat French cuisine. I'm fairly sure French kids do. I'd take steak tartare over a mc horse scrotum burger. I'm no fan of frogs legs, but escargot is awesome.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @Mr Tumnus

yet the huge majority will eat super bland roast beef and overcooked watery veg out of a carvery and consider it a super tasty meal. There's a reason you need gravy to eat the damn thing, and no, the reason isn't superior cooking...

Silver badge
Happy

Merde Grand- inna bun.

@Rampant Spaniel

Indeed, and the same goes for Spain. Madrid is tourist crap and you are better off hopping on the Cercaneas and going north to a place like Torrelodones where the locals don't tolerate bad food.

@ people who say French food is bad in Paris

I have to disagree - I have had some of the best tasting meals of my life in Paris (and I have travelled all over the world). They do seem to have an annoying habit of poisoning me though! (three times now - once with onion soup FFS!) :(

In my opinion this shows two things:

1) There is some truth in the old stereotype: French food good / French hygiene bad.

2) The food really does taste bloody good as I am still defending it after spending days of my life almost turning inside-out through my arsehole.

Bronze badge
Coat

Un Grand Fils?

Joke

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant

I know it's food from the Alsace, but...

I'd have thought you were more likely to find an Alsacian restaurant in Korea

@RS People waving you in.

In the Latin quarter, they have people trying to wave you in.

There are really nice restaurants here, but you don't go into the tourist traps, and NEVER EVER go to McDonalds on the champs. It's disgusting even by McDonalds standards.

If you're coming to Paris for a weekend look on the site La Fourchette for deals on good food, check out the ratings and prices.

I've been living here for 12 years now, I made the same mistakes as all the tourists and suffered the food poisoning on more than one occasion.

But... but... but... I like my veg watery to the point where it practically disintegrates - it's how my dear ol' mum always made it when I was a kid ;)

Flame

Why wouldn't you take your kids for steak tartare or frogs legs? Why enforce your own food hang ups on your children?

Thumb Up

"I suspect he was saying that French restaurants are pretty bad in Paris... I agree totally with him, avoid the French restaurants, the food is usually barely edible, the only good restaurant food in Paris are not French.."

Most Definitely!

Even the cafes in places like Calais are far better.

Anyone who's never tried a french restaurant in Paris should consider this. Just how bad does it have to be to make the crap McDonalds serve up look good?

Strange- I must be extremely lucky then, because I've only had one bad meal in Paris and that was in a franchise (Hedgehogs???). But then I do know how to locate good restaurants off the beaten track.

Anonymous Coward

So you've had a bad meal in Paris, therefore all French restaurants in Paris are shit?

Idiots.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

They call it "Le Big Mac"

at Burger King a whopper is still a whopper (probably with an accent on the 'e' and a throaty 'r' )

Silver badge

Exactly, and god forbid you feed your offspring anything like steak or snails, much better to feed them deep fried crap and burgers made of foreskins, lips and arseholes, hell some fast food burgers aspire to be made of stuff like that. When kebabs are made of better meat, worry.

If all people ever see of Paris is the short walk from their hotel to a tour bus pickup then I am sure their impressions of French cuisine would be poor. Those restaurants located right by the hotels are crap, they pay a fortune in rent, they pay their staff feck all and dress them up like Rene from allo allo because thats what real french people must look like. No wonder the foods crap, you are nothing but a fat, ignorant, cash pinata to be beaten stupid and there will be an endless stream of folks behind you waiting for the same abuse.

If it wasn't self inflicted I would feel sorry for folks who didn't get to taste real French cuisine.

Vic
Silver badge

> Paris has some amazing food, much of it well priced if you can find it.

I've yet to find any "well priced" food in Paris, but I've had some amazing nosh there.

I suspect the trick is to talk to the staff in French[1]...

Vic.

[1] No, there's no chance of my being mistaken for a native. But they do seem to prefer it...

Silver badge
Windows

Parisian cuisine

I'm sure I read somewhere that France has one of the highest per-capita consumptions of McDonalds in the world. I think it's to do with the fact that a large number of French office workers have their lunches paid for, but they can't afford real food.

My experience is that as time goes by it gets harder and harder to find a decent meal in France anyway. I don't know if my standards have gone up or theirs down.

Silver badge

Re: Tourist Food

@Nev tourists turn up asking for a "Steak 'n' Chips...

It's "Steack-frites" [sic], and it's the French people's favourite meal. Nothing to do with tourists.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant

Woof!

Anonymous Coward

I'm not sure if it counts as "cuisine" but it can be awesome if both the steack and the frites are done nicely, often from a van with a stonking great gas bottle for the iron-plate's burner ;)

JDX
Gold badge

>> He was there with his kids. You going to take your kids for steak tartare? Frog legs, oysters or escargots?

Kids are actually able to eat real food, not only junk. I hope you're not a parent.

Nev

Ouais, mais le steak haché à cheval est encore meilleur.

Anonymous Coward

Jamais dites jamais. Clip-clop!

Re: an alsacian, restaurant

..so Korean food then?

Devil

"In my experience about food in French restaurant is either badly under-cooked, burned, tasteless or rubbery..."

Sounds like my wife would make a great French chef...

Silver badge

Re: an alsacian, restaurant

Black dog bbq? That isn't Korean, thats the Filipino. Nigeria also has a fondness for mutt stew.

I know we like to make fun of the French over eating black beauty (rather sounds like the title of an adult movie) but horse meat is pretty good, far better than any muck burger effort. I wouldn't have any huge issues eating dog, assuming it wasn't someones pet. When in Rome as they say. I draw the line at Whale \ Dolphin meat.

Silver badge
Happy

"Actually yes, but thats besides the point. No reason kids can't eat French cuisine. I'm fairly sure French kids do. I'd take steak tartare over a mc horse scrotum burger. I'm no fan of frogs legs, but escargot is awesome."

Agreed, my kids (8 and 10) love to try exotic stuff like snails, or eyes and brains of fish (they learnt that from a Croatian friend (I passed on those myself)). It gets them huge bragging rights at school.

The food in France is wonderful!

'You've never been to France, have you?

Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant'

You don't know what you are talking about. I live in France. The food is very good here, and that includes traditional French food.

I don't live in Paris, but I do visit there from time to time. The last time I had a meal in a proper restaurant in Paris (as opposed to picking up a quick sandwich at the Japan Expo), it was at a place a short distance away from la tour Eiffel. In the UK, the food in such a place would have been ghastly and one would have eaten there only out of desperation. But this is France and the steak was well-marbled and cooked just the way I like it. The rest of the meal was delicious as well. The service was prompt and friendly, as is always the case in France.

If you had been talking about the food in UK restaurants, however, I would have agreed with you.

Anonymous Coward

"They call it "Le Big Mac"

at Burger King a whopper is still a whopper (probably with an accent on the 'e' and a throaty 'r' )"

I dunno, I never went into Burger King.

Ya know what they put on French Fries in Holland instead ketchup?

The stuff on Dutch French Fries

Frietsaus. Which, as I have had to explain to several disgusted Americans, looks a bit like, but is not mayonaise.

Now, please don't ask me why we do that over here, I don't like the stuff...

Silver badge

Re: The stuff on Dutch French Fries

Salad cream is amazing on 'fries'. Luckily amazon.com has it or I would be out of luck!

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, ... (@philbo)

"I'd have thought you were more likely to find an Alsacian restaurant in Korea"

That's bollocks!

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, ... (@Mephistro)

>That's bollocks!

They cook those, too?

Silver badge
Linux

Been there, done that.

While you may not need to avoid the French food in Paris, you can certainly find a better place to eat on the Champs-Elyse than Icky Micky. The Lowenbrau Beer Hall being an obvious place. Dunno if it's a chain. Dunno if it's still even there. Clearly there are better options than Icky Micky.

H*ll. A NYC hot dog pushcart is a better option than Icky Micky. Find yourself a crepe stand or something.

Silver badge
Linux

> Read the original blog piece. He was there with his kids. You going to take your kids for steak tartare? Frog legs, oysters or escargots?

I've been all around the world with Jedi 2.0 and we've never once resorted to an American fast food franchise.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, ... (@Philbo)

As the ancient* saying goes: "In North Korea, the meatballs are the dog's bollocks"

* : In this context, 'ancient' means 'read in a comment in February' :-D

Re: The food in France is wonderful!

Just like in Paris, if you go into a cheeky tourist trap in London, you're going to get the tourist food imaginable.

But I've worked in several cities and they all have the same rule: know what you want and find the smallest place with the largest number of locals (locals here means people who live there, not people who sound like they're from there. So Chinese people in a London restaurant probably means your near Leicester Sq)

As for British food... it's gotten a LOT better in the past 30 years, I remember when SPAM was the hight of cooking. But now? I think that if you don't like British food it's because your tastes aren't developed enough in those areas, and not just because the food is actually bad.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.