Feeds

back to article E-Cat pitching cold fusion to Australians

A company established in January 2012 is offering the Rossi E-Cat (“energy catalyzer”) to Australians. E-Cat Australia is offering pre-orders for a 1MW unit with “an estimated delivery time of 3 months”, and allowing people to pre-register for a domestic unit promising shipping in 2013. Attempts had been made to promote E-Cat …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Go

So if it doesn't work...

...will it be blamed on the arrangement of furniature in the associated house?

Anonymous Coward

Re: So if it doesn't work...

"...will it be blamed on the arrangement of furniature in the associated house?"

No, it will be blamed on your inability to spell.

Silver badge
Mushroom

See the user's Handle?

Maybe English is not their primary language, or maybe it is their primary language, but are multilingual so flip between languages faster that you can go from being a nice person to being an obnoxious tool.

So stop being such a dick, not everyone on The Reg. may be a native English speaker, it's a fact of life, if you can't cope with that, go bury your head in the sand and hope it all goes away,

Anonymous Coward

I think the only Dicks here are the sneerers and scoffers. Boy, are you lot in for one hell of a shock, when you realise that your uninformed knee-jerk reactions are wrong.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, sheep.

Anonymous Coward

G'day, Bruce! ;)

Anonymous Coward

Where's the 1m of lead shielding then, for the gamma radiation? ;)

Anonymous Coward

Bit of a Freudian slip was it? thinking of Dick Smith and his $1000,000 challenge perhaps? ;)

Linux

It's very easy to say such things anonymously isn't it? I wonder if you speak to people like this face to face.

Paris Hilton

Snake oil and flying pigs?

The funny thing is that even a fully fledged conman would probably not even try this for it being too outlandish!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Snake oil and flying pigs?

Similar to the 419 spammers - pick something so outlandish, so trivially disprovable, that anybody with more than a quantum of common-sense and skepticism would flee, and the only people left investing are so blindingly stupid that you needed worry about them filing charges against you, as they are barely able to draw breath and metabolize at the same time.

Anonymous Coward

According to a poll on e-catworld.com 18% of respondents are ready to buy a domestic heating unit even before it's been shown to be economically viable. Shills, nutters, victims or forward thinkers? Yeah, I know.

Anonymous Coward

Funny you should mention that....

honestly

Stop giving these guys airtime.

Re: honestly

I was thinking the same:"Why is the Reg continuing to cover this story?"

And I guess the answer is: Because we all wish it wasn't a hoax.

Silver badge
Go

elReg

I for one want you to keep following this.

I'm fairly sure it's a scam (put cold fusion only slightly more credible then perptual motion). Even if it is, it should be good fun to watch, and if it's not (not that I'm expecting anything here) it would be nice to know. I'm a winner either way!

Proceed with this nonsense at flank speed!

Anonymous Coward

Re: elReg

Put the kettle on, get some popcorn and put your feet up, is my advice.

Trollface

I agree with keep following it. Always good when a scam is exposed.

"However, the E-Cat has been a hit among green energy enthusiasts as a "save the world" technology."

Proof that the green energy lot really are as stupid as they look.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Greens don't know about neutron bursts in their kitchen.

Or that, if this actually worked, the removal of the last impediment to full-scale industrialization would transform the whole of Earth overnight into a glittering BALL OF MEGATECH WITH DEAD PANDAS EVERYWHERE!

Silver badge
Devil

Oh Puleez don't be so insulting...

I've got a group of Greenies who are interested. I've got this bridge where I'm selling them the rights to charge a toll for crossing. Their upside is that once they get enough money to buy one of these E-Cat devices, they can raise the toll so high that only a fool would want to drive across it, thus reducing the congestion in the city on the other side of the bridge.

So they are very sharp indeed, so please stop insulting them. At least until they close my deal.

Facepalm

Proof?

"Proof that the green energy lot really are as stupid as they look."

Yes, an unattributed assertion certainly is proof!

Back in the real world, would Mr. Chirgwin care to provide some evidential support for this reflex greeny-bashing? (Especially since one reasonable criticism you _can_ level at the mainstream environmental lobby is its unfortunate tendency towards knee-jerk opposition to anything with 'nuclear' in the name?)

Some evidence about green energy enthusiasts being this gullible? As opposed to some green energy enthusiasts being as gullible as the population at large.

As it stands this is just an allegation about some people the author doesn't like.

Anonymous Coward

"However, the E-Cat has been a hit among green energy enthusiasts as a "save the world" technology."

Citation? I'm all up for green energy (ie: Investment in ACTUAL fusion), but this is clearly toss. I don't think the majority of people interested in green energy would disagree, either. Where are you pulling the idea that any coherent group considers this viable?

"Proof that the green energy lot really are as stupid as they look."

Proof that you seized upon a rather fictitious comment about a very large group of people and felt the need to use that to strengthen your own perceptions by making a public and idiotic statement.

Anonymous Coward

"As it stands this is just an allegation about some people the author doesn't like."

I see you got down-voted for expressing a fact, there.

Kudos.

Anonymous Coward

How about the people that thought fuel cells were a primary source of energy, and many still do. Lots of investment money was skimmed off in that way. Of course, it is conveniently not mentioned that you will need sh*tloads of actual fuel to run them on, like, say ethanol made from fossil fuel sources, or from *food* sources, or hydrogen made by using energy from, well, the usual suspects ..... like nuclear or coal.

Silver badge
FAIL

@AC

Why the anonymous post?

I doubt anyone is against real fusion work, even if it's still just 50 years off...

We all want cheap, plentiful, energy from a source that doesn't pollute and can't be turned into a WMD.

But the 'Greenies' take this to an extreme point of view without thinking about the consequences.

It's typical of all political groups these days... But that's a different story..

Anyone who buys into this bunk deserves to be taken in by this con.

Had it been real, it would have been patented world wide ASAP. He would have opened the device for the entire world to see and he and his lawyers would be extremely wealthy.

While we both agree that this device is Bollox, you associate w a party of loons.

"How about the people that thought fuel cells were a primary source of energy, and many still do"

I don't think anybody would complain about the general idea that lots of people are gullible idiots when it comes to energy. Or Science in general. We were more ticked off at the gratuitous suggestion, unencumbered with evidence of any kind, that such stupidity was specific to 'the green energy lot'.

Linux

It's ok. If we had that much energy we could build them a new habitat in orbit.

Believing what you want to believe

"Proof that the green energy lot really are as stupid as they look." So, Just a geek, you believe without any evidence that "it has been a hit among green energy enthusiasts".

So! That's proof that - oh hang on, it's no proof of anything, it's just the internet.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Believing what you want to believe

@tony w - there's evidence, but you probably need to be an aussie to recognise that mullimbimby is greenie central. It's no more controversial than stating that marble, glass and columns will go down well in cheshire.

Silver badge

Hmmm

Strangely reminds me of a pitch on I think it was Canadian Dragons Den (or perhaps Shark Tank US...) where some guy proposed to build a giant energy machine that used the coriolis effect to create a vortex that somehow through fusion ended up with gold as a waste product... A fool and his money.

Silver badge
Holmes

This is going to be a world changer

Just like "Adams Platform" was.

Bronze badge
WTF?

Ok...

...so July 16 in Canada translates to April 1st in Australia, learn something new everyday I guess.

Silver badge
Go

However, the E-Cat has been a hit among...

...green energy enthusiasts morons as a "save the world" technology.

Keep up the good work, these conmen need the light of day shined on them, and I for one enjoy it when they get shot down.

Although some of them seem to keep ticking over for years as true believers continue to try and make their revolutionary technology work through sheer bloody mindedness, even though it's now established it can't and never has. (Orbo, I'm looking at you)

Silver badge
Flame

I'm sure it provides a great source of usable energy

...when the unit is set afire.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm sure it provides a great source of usable energy

It might need no help to set itself on fire, if it has, as some suspect, deliberately non-standard wiring in its power supply cord, something along the lines of an extra wire parallel inside next to one of the 2 standard wires, then kind of- cross-wired in the supply plug, and cunningly wired at the "on-switch" with a 2-pole-2-throw switch which, surprise surprise, may well supply power in both positions. (6 contacts, 2 positions) They might wanna check at the power meter of the building to see what is being drawn ... ;)

Let's see it work with a standard power cable fitted by a neutral observer ;) Doesn't have a standard "kettle" IEC socket on it? - gosh, no, whadda surprise. Can still wire in a cable, why not? Is it not safe or something? ;)

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm sure it provides a great source of usable energy

X-ray its power cable, can be done at any airport... portable versions also. Maybe an ultrasound gadget would also show up the wires.... in the cable at least, big density difference..

Bronze badge

Back in the day, it was worth a company putting some corporate small-change into checking the Cold Fusion claims. It was the Pascal's Wager of its time: the cost was low and the potential pay-off was huge.

This time around, it has all the features of a scam.

Thumb Up

Cold Fusion is good for one thing at least...

It makes for an excellent plot point in a movie.

I have Keanu on hold, just in case...

Dick Smith

Does the eCat use any Z-80s?

Thought not.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Dick Smith

No, just a kettle lead. ;)

This post has been deleted by its author

Erm?

Have you guys read the website? Watched the video's? Or researched this at all? I have, I think it could be plausible that this may work. Watch the video available on the E-Cat site, it is quite informative.

Granted, I'll admit that Andre Rossi is a convicted criminal and has done fraud before... ;-)

Anonymous Coward

Re: Erm?

"Have you guys read the website? Watched the video's?"

This would be proof - how ?

Silver badge
FAIL

Yes I have looked into this. The story seems to be this -

Brave Maverick Scientists(TM) discovers totally implausible new scientific process which will revolutionise the world! But only if he can have your money, now! No, there will be no scientific or regulatory oversight!

It's got scam painted all over it in huge letters, regardless of his history. The fact that he's got fraud convictions from previous scams is just icing on the cake. And no, none of it is 'quite informative' in the face of the fact he won't let anyone verify his apparent 'results', his video is nothing but propaganda and part of the scam.

WTF?

This is obviously some new use of the word "plausible" which I've not previously encountered.

I would ask you to explain in more detail but I'm rather concerned that you might actually do so.

....."Granted, I'll admit that Andre Rossi is a convicted criminal and has done fraud before... ;-)"

Don't worry Richard, I think it was funny. Bit too subtle for others.

Silver badge
Meh

"Don't worry Richard, I think it was funny. Bit too subtle for others."

In my defence I'd like to offer up Poe's law....

Sustained.

re: Does the eCat use any Z-80s?

No the banks clearing system cornered the market of them some years ago

Are there any laws against false advertizing in Australia?

They are advertizing a 1MW plant, requiring a $500,000 deposit, with delivery in 3 months, and these plants do not even exist in the real world. Not one has been built that operates as claimed.

Maybe someone should complain to the part of government there in Australia that deals in false advertizing.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.