Feeds

back to article US county named 'area of outstanding natural stupidity'

We recently promised to name Washington's Kitsap County 'an area of outstanding natural stupidity' (AOONS) if it could reach a critical mass of firearms-related idiocy. The Vulture Central critical mass required for an AOONS is three jaw-dropping tales of Darwin Award-worthy madness, and we're delighted to report that Kitsap has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

I disagree with your assessment

I don't think this events should qualify for your AOONS competition. This sounds like a horrible and unfortunate event. Call it an accident. Kids are sometimes involved in those. If there are too many guns around, gun accidents will happen.

Re: I disagree with your assessment

In other words... Guns don't kill people, idiots with guns kill people. So what was your objection again?

Although Lester, I think AOONS doesn't quite trip off the tongue. Since the place is (nearly) on the sea, how's about calling it the Divviera? Other worthwhile tags would be the Costa Moronica, or perhaps the Costa Wanka if you can get that past editorial control.

(Written by Reg staff) Bronze badge

Re: Re: I disagree with your assessment

Bloke shoots self in 'nads in Washington Divviera? I like it.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

"So what was your objection again?"

WTF man? WTF?

Devil

None of these are worthy of a Darwin award.... you seem to not understand the meaning of the award.

You need to either die, or at least loose your ability to pro-create through a act of self stupidity.

The first one is at best an honorable mention, due to the stupidity of the act, but your article gives no reference to the shotgun idiot getting castrated, just injured.

The second story sounds like it would have been really cool to see, and was caused surely by stupidity, but your article doesn't even mention that the bloke was injured, let alone killed or castrated.

Your third and final example appears to be the only case where anyone dies, and the person being stupid (blame either the mother or the kid) were not the ones killed. The one killed was a completely innocent 8 year old girl who happened to be a bystander.

An somewhat interesting area with several stupid people? Sure, but a AOONS site... don't see the evidence here.

You really should look more to Florida where there are face eaters, and Darwin award winners galore.

So giving an eight-year-old kid a gun isn't stupid?

Happy

Just to set the record straight: thankfully, the girl did not die. She was shot in the abdomen hitting several organs, but after six weeks in the hospital and several operations, she is now home and the prognosis is for a full recovery.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2012/apr/03/amina-returning-to-bremerton-today/

Silver badge
Headmaster

It seems that in the US

It seems that in the US there are a lot of unintentional self-inflicted gunshot wounds, apparently more than intentionally inflicted.

This is of course not down to the fact there is the 'right to bear arms' or that the weapons themselves are dangerous. A firearm left on a table does not get up and shoot itself, something the gun lobby keeps stressing to the public.

No the real reason are all the idiots that buy the damn things and sadly in the US there are a lot of idiots.

Bronze badge

Re: It seems that in the US

If it were unintentional self-inflicted gunshot wounds then I can't help but think there would be less comment than regarding gunshot wounds inflicted unintentionally on somebody else!

The problem with America is that once the people who want to act out their John Wayne fantasies get hold of weapons then other people feel (quite justifiably) that they need a weapon for self defense. Then other people feel they need weapons to defend themselves from those people, and it doesn't take long to end up with near universal firearms ownership.

Who leaves a loaded and unsafed weapon where a child could get hold of it? Seriously?

Silver badge
Boffin

"....Who leaves a loaded and unsafed weapon where a child could get hold of it?...." You need to give kids more credit, they can be both very devious and very stupid at the same time. When I was twelve I had been thoroughly indoctrinated with gun safety, had been shooting handguns and small-bore rifles for over a year, and was a pretty well-behaved kid. But when I was denied the opportunity of shooting a more powerful rifle I carefully planned out how I was going to gain access to the two locked cabinets (the bolt was kept seperate from the rest of the rifle) and how I was going to pinch the required ammunition from the range (my father kept a careful count of his). I managed the crime, shot off twenty rounds in open country, not a controlled range, and then cleaned and returned the rifle undetected. Looking back, I realise that it was a very, very stupid thing to do, but I had convinced myself I knew what I was doing, which is probably what other kids do when they pinch their parents weapons to impress their friends.

Anonymous Coward

It is actually a medical fact that your ability for risk assessment only matures around age 16..18, so you're right - yes, that was stupid but yes, that's what a kid can get up to.

Having said that, a kid that is 100% brave and compliant and always listens to their parents needs urgent help - to me, that isn't a normal, experimenting child. I don't expect my son to be devious - he doesn't seem to have that in him which makes him a tad vulnerable IMHO - but I do expect him to come up with novel ideas which might have latent danger in them he didn't see. And explaining those dangers to him teaches him to think even better for himself, which is what good parenting is all about. This also means working on limiting dangers to those he is likely to survive - leaving a gun out for an 8 year old is off the scale stupid.

Where I live, weapons are controlled but getting permission for concealed carriage isn't that hard, and I fully intend to have my son trained in their use (have, because there are people that can do that better than me). That doesn't mean he'll have any or have access to them at will, but it means he knows what they are, how they work and - very importantly - that they are dangerous when handled incorrectly. It also means he can recognise other idiots doing something stupid, which is IMHO a more likely cause of injury.

Anonymous Coward

It seems that in the US

That's the reason why there's such a thing as a trigger lock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_lock#Locks

Anonymous Coward

Point is that poor parenting means kids can end up with miserable lives or even up dying.

That's hardly a Darwin award nomination given that children are still learning about the world.

Thumb Up

The young girl shot by the boy who took a gun to school has not died. She was critical for a long time but she is now recovering.

Anonymous Coward

Poor understanding of grammar

Of *course* it's due to the so-called 'right to bear arms' and its ludicrous interpretation. It's not that so-called gun control countries have no accidents with guns, but the notion that it's OK for the population in general to have guns lying around the place is just asking for trouble. Both of these poor kids are collateral damage, not from the need for a well-ordered militia, but from a wilful error in understanding the syntax of a sentence in the US Constitution.

Coat

Re: Poor understanding of grammar

'Right to bear arms' was caused by an unfortunate case of Dyslexia - The founding fathers really wanted the right to arm bears.

Silver badge

"So giving an eight-year-old kid a gun isn't stupid?"

Ummm I'm pretty sure that he might have gotten the gun from Mum's boyfriend but I don't think Mum's boyfriend actually gave him the gun.

Silver badge

No. While some accidents/stupidity does occur I assure you that many more people are shot on purpose. It really sucks when kids get hurt though. The U.S. Statical Abstract will give you the numbers.

I submit (if no-one else has):

Land Of Outstanding Natural Stupidity.

Silver badge

Re: So giving an eight-year-old kid a gun isn't stupid

1. Darwin awards are for self-inflicted removal from the gene pool. No matter how stupid and deadly it was, it was NOT self-inflicted.

2. Whether or not giving an 8 year old a gun is stupid depends to some extent on the kid and how he's been trained. I've been around 8-year olds who WERE properly trained and felt safer than when I've been at the range with some 30-year olds who weren't.

The gun isn't the problem, the mom and the boy friend are. In court, I'd assign them both 100% responsibility, because if either had acted in a rational and truly parental fashion, the incident wouldn't have happened.

Silver badge

That would be because you read hoplophobic media reports that prefer to focus on rare and isolated incidents instead of the mass quantities of thugs bang-banging on each other. This is a particular problem in large cities where an overly PC media don't want to be forced to confront issues of black-on-black violence, because they are fixated on the meme that all damages to blacks are the result of white inflicted slavery in pre-Voting Rights Act of 1968 America.*

*Yes, I'm aware that we abolished the practice decades earlier, but the meme doesn't take that into account.

Silver badge

Oddly enough, history reports that when people thought it wasn't an issue to have guns lying around the place, we had fewer of these incidents than we do now that we have a hoplophobic majority.

Oh, and SCOTUS has declared your reading of the second amendment to be in error.

Silver badge
Megaphone

Re: I disagree with your assessment - @Rob Dobbs and others

"None of these are worthy of a Darwin award". Well, that depends - how long could the poor boy face in penal establishments? Remember, this boy - *9 years old* - "... has been charged with unlawful possession of a gun, bringing a dangerous weapon to school and third-degree assault." (from the newspaper article). He might not be out in time to procreate.

I am completely astounded by the whole thing - someone lets a very young child take a loaded gun, presumably badly maintained (how did it go off in his backpack?) to school, and the response of the law is to arrest the child??!! $50k bail? FFS, I thought we were bad (Thompson and Venables was not meant to be a signal to the rest of the world how to deal with very young offenders)!

Western civilisation is looking as if it is dead on its feet.

The 8 year old wasn't killed. Just critically injured. I believe she is out of the hospital by now; this story is about 4 months old if I remember.

The fireworks deal. Sigh, what can I say? That guy was an idiot. But, we still got our show. :)

I live in Kitsap Coutny. By association, your readers (or at least one) must also be naturally stupid. :) Actually, a great number of IT folk live in the county and commute to Seattle and destinations East for work. So it's probably more than just me.

Don't you mean asking for trouble from your Government? That provision in the Constitution is in there as a direct result of the monarchist, church driven tyranny of days gone by. Provided, of course, by jolly old england...

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Re: It seems that in the US

"That's the reason why there's such a thing as a trigger lock....." Seriously? I got into two locked gun cabinets with locks a lot tougher than those silly trigger locks, do you think I would have been unable to get round that last hurdle?

Nothing willful about it at all. Having just thrown off a knuckleheaded government the American founders figured the people may have to do that again some day. Their intent was to keep the people free from an intrusive government.

"Their intent was to keep the people free from an intrusive government."

And of course the current 'Merican government is soo good to it's people!

I dunno, the third one seems like a bit of a reach as a "jaw-dropping tale of Darwin Award-worthy madness".

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Agreed

I was laughing out loud at this article until I read the last one. It sounds like a horrible accident involving a kid with an unfortunate upbringing and neglectful parents. Not a tale of self-inflicted (and deserved) damage due to idiocy.

Still, on the plus side this is America we're talking about, so I'm sure Kitsap County will be more than happy to oblige in producing a genuine third incident to reach that all-important critical mass.

Silver badge

Re: Agreed

The fault would seem to lie with a country that allows firearms for 'home defence', even though far more family members are harmed by said guns than intruders are. Children are more drawn to adult items (phones, watches, spectacles) than they are to toys, in my experience.

One English woman, living in the US, reported a burglary... the second cop to turn up managed to shoot another cop who had already arrived at the house... fortunately the police force in question bought her a new carpet.

> the second cop to turn up managed to shoot another cop who had already arrived at the house

Upvoted for comedy value - even better if it's true?

Link? Please? Link?

Silver badge

@Dave 126

Funny thing though, as the parents were convicted felons his mother had the gun illegally so actually the country doesn't allow firearms for 'home defence' in this particular case. Also, can you conclusively show that "far more family members are harmed by said guns than intruders are" or is that just bog standard drivel you read somewhere that would also apply to anything else in the home like kitchen knives, hatchets, hammers, swimming pools, automobiles, etc. Let's not forget the other two suicide favorites in the U.S. like poison and a means of suffocation. Hmmm, maybe that's why so many places are banning plastic bags at the grocer.

That said, I can only hope she gets prosecuted by the feds in addition to the state and I hope the state's charges stick. Perhaps a nice break from a free and public lifestyle will allow her to gain perspective and perhaps understand why it was illegal for her to have a firearm in the first place.

Silver badge

"Hmmm, maybe that's why so many places are banning plastic bags at the grocer."

Actually, the main reason is pollution. These bags don't decay easily yet are very light and airy. A stray breeze can pick one up from just about anywhere, even from inside a container, and carry it hither and thither--perhaps into a wildlife area or another environmentally-sensitive spot where it interferes with plants and potentially harms animals.

If they don't ban the bags outright (most that do are in tourist areas or near said sensitive areas), they force retailers to charge for each bag by a tax: the proceeds normally used to clean up the messes produced by these bags.

Anonymous Coward

Bangladesh banned plastic bags because they were blocking drains & contributing to flooding.

Was there not an article in The Reg some time back pointing out that when you take into account manufacturing and re-use etc plastic bags are less polluting than paper bags?

>the proceeds normally used to clean up the messes produced by these bags.

Unless it's in Ireland, where the tax collected mysteriously disappeared in the government department that was in charge of administrating said tax. It still has not been accounted for...

Black Helicopters

It works that way in the US, too. Apparently, voters aren't paying enough attention, and don't mind paying: wheel taxes for renovations of public buildings that have long been replaced by far newer, grander public buildings serving the same purpose for which a new tax is also implemented. Government is like a roach motel -- your money goes in to the roaches, and it never sees the light of day.

FAIL

Re: Cop Stupidity

These guys were apparently extras from the "Blues Brothers" movie...

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/02/09/roseville-police-car-involved-in-accident/

Bronze badge
Boffin

There probably was.

El Reg is about as reliable on environmental issues as...

On second thought I can't think of anything as unreliable on environmental issues as El Reg.

bep

Uh-huh, and kid who is already in trouble for stealing a gun and accidently shooting someone will get off to an even better start in life with his mum in gaol, I don't think.

Silver badge

"I dunno, the third one seems like a bit of a reach as a "jaw-dropping tale of Darwin Award-worthy madness"

The first one is an honorable mention at best

The second one was impressive to see but doesn't rate a darwin

The third was a dumb kid and an unlucky girl

Silver badge

@Dave 126: Your fake statistics were thoroughly debunked

more than a decade ago. In fact, it's what lead John Lott to write his book: "More Guns, Less Crime." He looked at the study to which you refer and was horrified at the shabby statistical work. Being of the opinion that the conclusion was right, he set about to put the rigorous statistical foundation he thought it deserved. Only, when he was done with his study, the results turned out rather differently than he thought they would.

Silver badge

Re: the main reason is pollution.

No, the real reason is that egomaniacs with God-complexes are sure they know better than the rest of us what is good for us and are damned well going to make sure it happens. Pollution is just the convenient excuse they are using today.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @Dave 126: Your fake statistics were thoroughly debunked

"Shooting Down the More Guns,Less Crime Hypothesis" - Stanford Law Review, 4/16/2003 pp1193->1312 http://islandia.law.yale.edu/ayers/Ayres_Donohue_article.pdf

Bronze badge
Alert

The last tale...

...is yet another reason why firearms safety lessons should be compulsory in US schools, at least in areas with a per-capita firearms ownership above a certain threshold. Besides, if parents and teachers are waffling on about guns intead of them being another not-for-kids thing it automatically makes guns uncool, that alone would probably reduce the number of child-related firearms incidents. Excluding 13 year old gang-bangers performing underaged drive-bys, obviously.

The same principle might even work for sex ed...

Re: The last tale...

I had my first shooting lessons at the age of five, and had been trained in the use of handguns and long arms by the age of ten. (Not, like, to marksman standard or anything, but enough so that I knew how not to kill myself or someone else through carelessness or stupidity.)

They teach drivers' ed in US high schools; that's where I had it. Why not shooting lessons in elementary?

(And on your other point, I have absolutely no problem with the idea of providing aimed fire demonstrations for gangbangers. I'd even be happy to give 'em the traditional blindfold and cigarette first, too.)

Bronze badge
Joke

@squigbobble

What exactly is the minimum age for a drive-by nowadays?

FAIL

I always thought guns were cool, but never had the desire to bring one anywhere near a school. I didn't need safety lessons to teach that common sense either. Kids make mistakes, but that kid was seriously underestimating the purpose of a gun. A WEAPON is something you show friends at home or while camping perhaps. All the safety I was taught later in life seemed obvious by my own reasoning. That kid & his elders all fail to meet minimum standards for critical thinking.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.