back to article Apple MacBook Pro 13in

Shock horror – Apple laptop in so-so review scandal. The latest MacBook Pro with Retina Display may be setting a new standard at the top of the range, however, this modest update for the standard 13in MacBook Pro looks rather like it’s resting on its laurels. Apple MacBook Pro 13in mid-2012 Apple's MacBook Pro 13in: available …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Old Hat Book

They should just come round to calling it that. Along with the MBP 15", which I just received today, this model will tide Apple over 'till the retina displays manufacturing has come online for mass production, allowing prices to drop and availability to increase. But then, as soon as Apple fits Retina display on an Air, what use for the 13" MBP? Apart from it being quad core, there's nothing really to set it apart.

If I were in the market for a new portable Mac, I'd wait for a year and then I would simply buy one of the new MBAs.

Anonymous Coward

Re: MacBook Go (..the way of the dino..)

That was exactly the decision I took last week: why spend more on a MBP than the MBA? OK it scores 20% higher on the GeekBench, but on about all the rest it's about equal -- bit better or bit worse.

It's like the situation a good year ago, when you could upgrade the basic MB to a-bit-worse-than the basic MBP, but at a higher price --- so there was no reason for the MB anymore, and it disappeared. So is the same going to happen with the MBP, become obsolete and disappear?

As a desktop replacement that will travel a few days a month, and will see computationally light work the rest of the time, there is no justification for the MBP: yes, too few ports on the MBA, but even with the MBP I'd have a USB hub on my desk. And a USB DVDwriter I've got lying around here if needed (used it a grand total of thrice in two years with my wife's netbook)... So I walked away with the 13" MBAir.

Joke

75%??

Look into my Apple Logo, look into my Apple Logo, the Apple Logo, the Apple Logo, not around the Apple Logo, don't look around my Apple Logo, look into my Apple Logo...and you're under.

This is actually a fantastic laptop and is rated at 95%

Three, two, one... You're back in the room.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: "Look into my Apple Logo"

Very amusing - the down-voters should get a life.

At just shy of a grand, I'd expect at least a 7200rpm drive to be in there, they don't cost that much more than 5400 ones.

And can anyone tell me what use indicator lights at the back of the laptop are? I'm sure there is an explanation.

FAIL

That's the side, not the back. The back is all hinge.

They're on the side, not the back, and they're not enormously useful, except in the case where you just want to quickly check how much power your battery has without opening the screen - "I'm just popping to the coffee shop to pretend that I'm writing a novel, will I have enough power, or should I take my charger?"

ahh... makes sense now.

JDX
Gold badge

If this is a pro why isn't it retina, I thought the whole point was all pros now had retina?

Also, "only just managed 30fps" doesn't exactly sound a hardship. Integrated graphics playing a modern 3D game at 30fps is pretty wonderful.

Anonymous Coward

The Retina MBP 13" is rumoured to arrive in October:

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/11/13-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-appears-in-geekbench-benchma/

Thumb Up

Retina

Because it would have competed with the 15" model and stole its thunder. A 13" retina is ready to be released if you have watched the Mac news sites.

You missed the point I think... that being not about integrated graphics hitting 30fps, but a £1000 laptop 'only' hitting 30fps... As pointed out, a cheaper dell beats the arse of it in that respect...

Anonymous Coward

re: modern 3D game

Huh? Far Cry 2 is f**king ancient.

The annoying part is he didn't state what settings the game was at...not that Far Cry 2 is a modern game.

WTF?

If...

If you're "gaming" on a MBP 13", you've already failed. And since when is a $1000 laptop "entry level" as quoted in the verdict? A $500 gateway laptop can run circles (gaming wise) around this MBP.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Oh god no!

This review was going okay then went out the window when you said - "although its 1280 x 800 resolution should perhaps have been tweaked to the slighter more widescreen 1366 x 768 that is now standard amongst 13in PC laptops."

No.

1366x768 is a total curse in the laptop world. It's the lowest of the low for laptop screen res.

The screen would be better as a 1400x900 or higher for the price.

For a device that probably will mainly be used for browsing you don't really want to lower the depth do you!

Re: Oh god no!

Well said.

There is no excuse really as the 13" Air has 1400x900.

I'd take the Air over the MBP just for that.

Bronze badge

Agreed - 768 vertical would be shocking on anything bigger than a netbook (do they still make those??) nowadays.

Silver badge

My thoughts exactly- even though the reviewer was asking for more pixels...

My pet theory is that the top and centre of 16:9 widescreen displays sit lower with respect to eye-height compared to taller displays, not helping the user's working position.

On a desktop monitor, this is not such as issue since it is adjustable, and the top of screens are usually at the same height regardless of aspect ratio.

Mushroom

Re: 768 vertical would be shocking

Shocking but standard. But shocking. But then, standard on most mid price 15". Nowadays.

Paris Hilton

16:10 vs 16:9

I prefer the extra vertical pixels of this 16:10 display format instead of the 16:9 (1366 x 768) "standard amongst PC laptops". 16:9 is only good for watching TV.

My desktop Dell 24" monitor is 16:10 as well. Why change it when going to laptops? That makes no sense.

Silver badge

Re: 16:10 vs 16:9

I'd prefer someone go back to good ol' 4:3 on a laptop

Re: 16:10 vs 16:9

"16:9 is only good for watching TV."

16:9 is better for Lightroom, Photoshop etc, as they have palettes and tools on either side - 16:9's width gives more room for the photo itself.

But photo work on the go is a niche market for this machine I'd wager

Of course 1400x900 as in the Macbook air is better than both resolutions mooted here for photo work on the go...

Meh

If it had been too shiny, that would've distracted people from the 15" rMBP

No surprise, really - the 15" rMBP is the big shiny at the moment. Assuming that does well (and it will, I'm guessing, because despite the silly bits that have been removed it's still a 2kg 15" machine with a bleeding-edge display and dedicated GPU) there'll be a 13" version next year, possibly making the distinction between the Air and the 13" Pro focus more on display quality rather than weight.

Stop

hold your wallets until october :)

as other people have said, 13 inch comes in october, my macbook is not "busted" but pretty broken, the screen "whites out" until I wiggle the screen a bit (broken hinge connector I think) and the trackpad I can only use the touch mode now, not the click since it stopped working about 8 months ago.

but the other month when apple failed to impress me, I put my wallet away, I'll live another year with this one, it's already pretty good, 4GB of ram, everything I need for me job (freelance webdeveloper)

if in october they bring out a 13 inch retina, I'll look at it again, even more so if they bring out a retina air, then that will practically open my wallet singing and dancing, perhaps even with a cover song from jim carrey.

but until that happens, my money is firmly staying in my wallet....which it'll do until apple impresses me again.

Re: hold your wallets until october :)

In my case (2006 MacBook) the non-clicking trackpad button was due to a swollen battery.

Joke

But does it have 64bit KEXT?

Joke icon, only because there's a not a "half-joke" icon.

FAIL

"it’s hard to argue that it’s still the best."

Having recently purchased a 15" laptop with more memory, more disk, better graphics for half that price I'd say it is more like absolutely impossible to argue it's still the best (if it ever actually was) by a very, very, long way. The only things this has that my recent purchase doesn't is the Apple logo and the latest Ivy Bridge chip and I'm really not sure Ivy Bridge is that much of a leap over the previous generation to warrant double the price, maybe it's just the logo that makes it worth that much?

ACZ
Thumb Down

Re: "it’s hard to argue that it’s still the best."

I was going to have an outraged moan and conclude by saying "how on earth can Apple put out something with such a low spec at that price?", but I think that we all know the answer.

The depressing thing is that I've been talking with my wife about replacing her Mac, and I really don't want to go anywhere near this one. Might give it a few months if, as per people's comments, there's a chance of a vaguely better model emerging.

Holmes

You know, you can compare a $2 bottle of wine to a $40 bottle and argue that they are both liquid, both in glass, both contain alcohol, so why waste the money? other people just look and think "uncultured cheapskate"

i'll bet you are NOT the guy who tell their mates to buy in Aldi, drive a skoda, get everything in the bargain basement, but yet, you will berate others for choosing quality in a computer.

Silver badge

It is more like saying you can buy a jack wolfskin fleece or a decent quality non branded one. The one with the branding will cost more - even though the other fleece performs just as well or even better. In this case the mac isnt as good as the price makes you believe.

On the subject of dells, the XPS 15 range isnt much larger and has far far better components and a decent integrated video card (optimus too so your battery should last longer).

Coat

"i'll bet you are NOT the guy who tell their mates to buy in Aldi, drive a skoda, get everything in the bargain basement..."

What he said. Plus when did Lidl have laptops?

Facepalm

Now, your argument falls apart completely on your first line. If you take a comparable laptop, it will have the same components inside it; if you compare a $2 wine to a $40 wine, they wont have the same contents, hence the price difference.

Which would be why everyone thinks Apple are even more of a rip off today than they ever were, the contents of the boxes are as close to identical so as not to matter, but the price is anywhere up to twice that of the competition. Now, the top flight stuff from Apple with it's "retina" displays *may* be able to command a premium, but thats it.

As for your final, throw-away comment, i'll give you Aldi and the bargain basement, but Skoda ? You are aware that what's underneath was originally an Audi and then a VW, before becoming a Skoda? The A3, Golf and Octavia all share a common floor pan, engines and electrics. Why wouldn't I tell someone to buy one?

@EvilGav 1:

First, the hardware components are not necessarily the same. Second, the operating system is not the same as the cheap crap you buy without brand.

And finally, when you say "everything thinks," you mean "you think," right? Or did you take a poll across the planet?

-dZ.

You don't know the depth of idiocy of the iTards.

"First, the hardware components are not necessarily the same. Second, the operating system is not the same as the cheap crap you buy without brand."

Sorry an Apple i7 is the same as even a Dell one. The hard drive is a standard drive. External parts/design are different sure, the debate here is whether those external design components justify the significant price differential - not all of us feel it does.

I have a MBP 13 running OSX, and OSX is far from bug free, even with 8gb of ram. Again everyone is different, but for mine Win7 is just as stable (with different bugs), more compatible, but not as pretty.

The "cheap crap" comment obviously shows you're an Apple fan, but lets be realistic here...

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Well, that's a first

"Dell" and "far better components" in the same sentence. What'll they think of next?

Happy

Re: Well, that's a first

"'Dell' and 'far better components' in the same sentence. What'll they think of next?"

If it makes you feel any better, this merely demonstrates how far Apple have fallen, not how far Dell have risen.

Anonymous Coward

but still only just managed 30fps when running Far Cry 2

That's fairly meaningless, what quality settings had to be compromised (all of them at a guess, since they weren't mentioned)? Having integrated graphics in something priced in this bracket is laughable anyhow, but just how bad are they?

Happy

Re: but still only just managed 30fps when running Far Cry 2

Pretty flipping good, as it happens.

http://www.realworldtech.com/ivy-bridge-gpu/

Silver badge
Meh

Yes the Reg reviewers might want to take a look at HardOCP's graphics card reviews to see what info we really need for "it just managed 30fps" to be valid.

So if it just managed 30FPS I guess 50% of the time it was running in single figures then?

Silver badge

Wow what an article!

Total 100% tech market bumph with zero actual real world results.

You can write all the tech bumph you like about a product but unless you show what it does with real world apps and hardware it means jack. Look at all the AMD hype about Bulldozer for example. Looked like the second coming before launch day and the NDAs expired, then......

Flashy tech flowcharts mean nothing. If you are into GPU stuff we've seen plenty of Intel HD graphics reviews and it 99% of games it gets slaughtered. It's better than the last Intel GPU generation but its still 5 years behind AMD and Nvidia.

howcomes Apple get a full review for every hardware refresh? no matter how small... Dell has done a much larger refresh of the Vostro and Lattitude lines with the Ivy Bridge upgrade, introducing design changes and several new 13" models, but no review inches....

Anonymous Coward

My guess is it's because of people like Seanie Ryan (above), who think anything with an Apple logo on it is a fine bottle of wine (because it has an Apple logo on it, evidently), whereas everything else is just fermented cat piss.

Hey, Have Some Respect

We all have our opinions, but calling Windows "fermented cat piss" is a bit over the top.

FAIL

As usual, underspec'ed and overpriced

It stuns me that this barely revised MBP machine is actually the cheapest laptop Apple UK sell at 999 quid! it is Apple's entry-level laptop and yet is so expensive that its price would be considered almost top-end for any other manufacturer. Am I the only one worried about taking a grand's worth of kit outside the house...ever?

Several months ago, I advised my sister to get an i3 15.6" Samsung laptop from Sainsbury's. It's inevitably thicker, heavier and less "pretty" than an MBP, but after discounts and cashbacks, it cost 285 quid - less than a third of this MBP, but actually with a bigger screen! I know I'd rather have 3 of those Samsungs than one MBP any day of the week.

Re: As usual, underspec'ed and overpriced

>> It stuns me that this barely revised MBP machine is actually the cheapest laptop Apple UK sell at 999 quid! <<

It's not. The 11" MacBook Air is the cheapest at £849. http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air

>> Am I the only one worried about taking a grand's worth of kit outside the house...ever? <<

That's what insurance is for. My hone contents policy covers me for accidental damage and theft for any item up to £3k when taken outside the home.

>> I know I'd rather have 3 of those Samsungs than one MBP any day of the week <<

Brilliant. No-one's going to tell you can't have three, four or even five of them if you want. Some of us prefer something that's a little shinnier that that and as it's our money there's no real harm being down to anyone in us indulging ourselves.

Anonymous Coward

If someone makes a conscious choice to pay a surcharge for build quality / asthetics, etc. them more power to them, but I'd imagine that a lot of consumers buying this will just think that Apple == Best, irrespective of the details.

>> I'd imagine that a lot of consumers buying this will just think that Apple == Best, irrespective of the details. <<

Those consumers, as indeed all consumers, should check such assumptions before parting with their money. I choose to by Apple because I like the look, feel and build of their devices. I also prefer Mac OS X to Windows.

People should always buy what's best for them and look beyond the hype when making any purchase.

Anonymous Coward

"Those consumers, as indeed all consumers, should check such assumptions before parting with their money"

I take it you don't speak to average consumers of IT equipment a lot, right?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums