Feeds

back to article Oil the wheels of virtualisation with 802.1Qbg

Virtualisation enables dynamic workloads within a data centre by easing and automating virtual machine movement. While the ability to move any virtual machine from any system located on any rack to any other system located on any other rack has become commonplace, elasticity of network configuration has lagged behind. A new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

really?

Network administrators (at least myself) have been dealing with this for 25 years. Joe User moves his machine (desktop or server) and guess what...it stops working. I automated mac authorization on AT&T StarLAN10 hubs in the mid 90's so I could allow Joe User to move his machines and still maintain security and be able to know when machines were moved or replaced.

With clone-and-go under VMware (or elsewise), the network administrator has to give up control (which we don't want to do) of the network to MCSE (or worse) trained system administrators, and while they may be top-notch at systems, I have met very few who knew anything about actual networking. (ymmv)

All I can say is that the communication between systems admins and network admins has to get better, and it /is/ a two-way street.

Also, shouldn't this be an extension of the 10gig spec re: interface partitioning?

Bronze badge

Cisco Nexus

Cisco has been doing this for some time with their Nexus switches. Or what almost every Hyper-visor vendor does in their cloud management software, except for the Physical part, but I just configure the Top-of-Rack switches with Spanning tree and Trunk ports on all the uplink and VM ports. Everything other than VLAN is specified on the core switch, which everything in the Datacenter passes through anyway. Everything is secure, easy and doesn't require yet-another-protocol that every vendor will support differently (adhering to the standard, but still not work with other vendor's implementations)

This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.