back to article Microsoft drags 9 resellers to court in fresh piracy blitz

Microsoft has its sights trained on another bunch of Chinese software pirates, this time pitting its formidable resources against nine resellers it said installed illegal copies of Windows onto PCs they sold. Redmond said it started proceedings against the resellers in seven cities across the People’s Republic including …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ukgnome
    Windows

If it wasn't ...

A) easy to pirate

B) full of bugs

C) overpriced

Then I would shed a tear for Microsoft, and I'm a bloody Microsoft techie

1. LarsG

It's not piracy in China, unless you fail to pay your bribe on time.

2. h4rm0ny

So you're saying that people pirate it because it's crap? And by implication, they don't pirate things when they're not crap? I'm unconvinced of this logic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please can you ask them ..

where they got the Windows-free machines. I'd like a few !

1. Fuzz

Re: Please can you ask them ..

I did wonder that but I'm guessing that either these were machines sold with a different OS or they were sold with Windows home and the pirates (aaaarrr) were installing pro or ultimate on them before sale.

I know HP make models with linux or some form of DOS installed for certain markets.

1. Don Jefe
        Meh

Re: Please can you ask them - the pirate part

You know how China is famous for fakes? Putting a logo on a 'box' then loading it with software is childs play for the ''Great Red Zerox'.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS Definition of Piracy...

Remeber guys, its stupidly broad....

Install a new copy of windows from a disk that didnt come with the machine (same version et al) on a machine with a COA - You're a pirate

Refuse to make the customer pay £70 for a Win7 CD because their recovery partition is toast and they didnt make the DVD - You're a pirate

Wipe and reinstall a machine you are reconditioning from a generic disk (COA present) - You're a Pirate

Last weeks ruling regrading seeling software shoud really help this but I'm fed up to my back teeth having to tell customers to pony up the Microsoft tax or pay up because their hard drive died.

Anon fo obvious reasons, we dont always play by M$'s rules.

1. Don Jefe
      Thumb Down

Re: MS Definition of Piracy...

98% of your comment is patently untrue. Sure it may take a three minute phonecall to resolve but MS is VERY friendly regarding reinstalls.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The downvoters are the same people who complain their windows update killed their crack or copied serial.

Yes, 2 minutes to an 0800 number for a re-install, I do several a day from our service shop for changing hard drives

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Yup, I second that. My OEM copy of XP went through many, many hardware changes, to the extent that I'm pretty sure that not a single component remained of what it had originally crawled into life on by the end.

There are those who say that this is impossible. MS say; "Press 1 for yesIonlyhavethisinstalledononePC", before their automated system reads out the fix key, on the odd occasion when the "three strikes" hardware detection reared its head. I rather missed the personal touch of having an actual someone ask that question when they automated it........

5. Gordon 11

with all government departments forced to use copyrighted software by the end of the year.

Surely the probelm was that they already were using copyrighted software, but with not having paid the licence to do so.

And, of course, there is a lot of copyrighted software that does not require you to pay for a licence.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only good pirate is dead

I hope that these pirates get 25 years in the slammer and that Bill Gates is their cellmate.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like