An ANU scientist has produced a model for electron energies in distant gas clouds, based on measurements taken within the solar system – and along the way may have resolved a long-standing controversy in astrophyics. For many years, an inconsistency listed under “remaining to be explained” has existed in astrophysics: our …
It seems that all the best science is done
When you're looking for something else.
We had someone this smart to sort out our banking system.
Re: If only
You assume finance is amenable to rational thought.
Re: If only
What if the banking system does already have people this smart whose goal is to make money instead of "sorting it out"?
Couldn't we send thos «smart» bankers
out to those remote gas clouds to investigate the distribution of electron energies at closer hand ? As a humanitarian alternative to pitchforks and tumbrils ?...
What have these to do with each other?
* temperature [of distant gas clouds]
* element abundances [of same]
* electrons [ditto]
How these tie in to a coherent anything is beyond me.
What is an equilibrium?
"Nicholls now believes the dwarf galaxies may never settle into equilibrium"
I think he means that they never settle into a *zero input* equilibrium. The water height in a flowing river is at equibrium for a given input water rate, but that height will be different depending on the rate of inflow ... or indeed if there is no inflow.
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Bugger the jetpack, where's my 21st-century Psion?
- Windows 8.1 Update 1 spewed online a MONTH early – by Microsoft
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? Why can’t I walk past Maplin without buying stuff I don’t need?
- Review 'Mommy got me an UltraVibe Pleasure 2000 for Xmas!' South Park: Stick of Truth