1. Baudwalk

Mobile RSS?

Could you make it so that http://m.theregister.co.uk/headlines.atom would return a feed where the links pointed to m.thereg... rather than www.thereg...?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mobile RSS?

That seems sensible. Let me find out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your answer from our lead dev. (BTW what he is proposing would take two or three days - but we have not scheduled this as a priority.)

right problem, imho, wrong solution.

One RSS feed, that takes you to either desktop or mobile as appropriate. That technology then works "for free" on twitter, facebook, email links, IM, reg.cx, etc, and we're in control so we can direct people better as we care to pend more time on the logic. Eg, if said m.thereg link shows up in a Windows

Phone client app, load it into the App, not the browser. Or other future mprovements (that don't require another rss format, and only works for those users smart enough tos spot it, act on it, and ensure it's only ever used in that context, and never come across anyone else who's cross the paths).

The trick is getting the "smarts" right, and smart enough, and fdoing it in a way that leaves the user in control.

That's a bit trickier to get right, but works for everyone in all situations. A dedicated mobile only RSS feed only works for those smart enough to tailor everything to their case, and adds confusion for (the vast majority of) others.

1. Baudwalk

Oh, no. Please. Not the app! It really is the slow and unappealing sibling to your sleek and sexy mobile site.

And it doesn't even include the comments section, which is my main reason for wanting an RSS feed to point me to m.thereg, as I can, and do, use ReadItLa^WPocket or GoodNews's mobiliser for reading the articles.

It's just that, since switching to mainly reading on the go, I no longer read the comments anywhere near as often as I used to, because the desktop comments section doesn't format well on my phone.

2. Baudwalk
        Paris Hilton

OK.

Gave your newest Android app version a spin. Much better than the old one.

Dark theme: Big plus.

Wouldn't auto-launching the app, rather than the browser, be as simple as registering an intent for "http://go.theregister.com"?

If so, I'm kind of wondering why that's not already in the app.

2. ninjatjj

Please please add this as a temporary workaround until whatever tech you would like to implement is ready. I go back and forward between having a link to the homepage, vs a google reader entry precisely because of this missing feature.

Also, I view the mobile version on desktop for obvious reasons too ;)

3. Matt 6
    Thumb Up

Would be nice to have a mobile version of the email newsletter that links to m. rather than www.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That seems sensible. I think this is already on our to do list - but if not, will add.

4. Captain Hogwash

Did anything happen here?

I find that the atom feed links always open the desktop site, regardless of whether I'm using a PC or a phone. El Reg's feeds are the only ones I use which do this. It's pretty exasperating, particularly as it's a tech site.

5. Trev the Trevor

so nothing happened then?

It's 2015, same issues today... Awesome.

The register: "backwards is the new forwards"

6. Trev the Trevor
    FAIL

so nothing happened then?

It's 2015, same issues today... Awesome.

The register: "backwards is the new forwards"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon