back to article Ten... alien invasions

Earlier this week, alien hunters donned their tinfoil hats for World UFO day and with Yanks celebrating Independence Day today, the topic of extra-terrestrial takeover lingers in the air. The public has even been debating who would be best equipped to tackle an alien invasion. Whether that's Mr. Obama, his political opponent or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Grumpy Fellow
    Alien

But the War of the Worlds really happened

I've been to Woking and I've seen one of the Martian fighting machines. The other films are based on fiction as far as I know.

2. Len Goddard

Wrong film

I'm 90% sure the Quatermass Experiment still actually comes from the second of the quatermass series, where alien organisms were being grown in an "artifical food" plant. This is the guy who fell into one of the vats.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about the Thetans?

I was just wondering. I was so expecting some Tom Cruise jokes aplenty.

1. BorkedAgain
      Joke

Re: What about the Thetans?

These were fictional accounts; the Thetans actually happened. Ask anybody.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: What about the Thetans?

Typothetans are the worst.

4. stucs201
    Mushroom

Baby Elephants

I was hoping you'd include Footfall.

<- Archangel launch picture

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Baby Elephants

Snap! I just came here to complain about lack of 'Footfall' as well. I'd imagine it's a little bit dated now, but then so's a lot of the stuff on this list.

I'd also like to add in John Wyndham's 'The Kraken Wakes'. An excellent book. I think I prefer it to 'Day of the Triffids'.

As with any list like this, there are always plenty more to add.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: Baby Elephants

And don't forget about FORGE OF GOD.

Humans: pwned!

5. Livlondon
    IT Angle

What the f*ck does this have to do with the IT industry

or Paris Hilton for that matter?

1. John70

Re: What the f*ck does this have to do with the IT industry

It so we can prepare to write a computer virus and upload it into their mothership.... oh wait that has already been done in Independence Day.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Alien

In real life, when the US President plays his last (but winning) ace with the babes in the background holding their breath and well-uniformed acolytes by his side look at large computer screens ... a blue screen of death appears.

And then death appears.

THE END!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. jai

and that's where the IT angle comes in - all these sci-fi filme, so much more fiction than science when it comes to the technology:

http://th176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/jtesch36/IndpendenceDayError.jpg

2. Nigel 11
      IT Angle

99% of software is crap

99% of Hollywood alien invasion movies are crap.

1. I think so I am?
        Thumb Up

"99% of Hollywood movies are crap"

fixed that for you.

2. Ru
        Headmaster

Re: "99% of software is crap"

As any fule kno (and as Sturgeon observed) a similar percentage of everything is crap. Neither software nor Hollywood are unusual in this respect.

1. Nigel 11
          Headmaster

Re: "99% of software is crap"

Should I ask about the 1% of crap that isn't crap?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "As any fule kno"

I'd suggest not mentioning that around the "we are the 99%" protesters...

1. SoaG

Re: "As any fule kno"

Well, they certainly smell like crap...

6. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Terminator

For an invasion

B movie I'd pick Mars attacks... much more fun than Independence day "hey , you'll need a lawyer right?" <ZZAAAP>

But why pick The Quatermass experiment when Quatermass and the pit was so much better especially to an 11 yr old hiding behind the sofa.

And what can beat War of the worlds: the album, Richard Burton and some kick ass music stomps Tom Cruise's effort flat(if he was standing on some boxes)

But just remember guys , all these films are just a distraction from the real rulers of this planet, and I'll leave you with just one hint... keep those robots bolted to the floor....

1. CADmonkey
      Unhappy

"what can beat War of the worlds: the album"

Sadly, 30-odd years can.

I listened to a bit of it the other day - it hasn't aged well. It's like the film Madagascar - it's all about that one song!

1. Eddie Edwards
        Unhappy

Re: "what can beat War of the worlds: the album"

Is it the album that hasn't aged well, or the human race? It's only about that one song if you've become an album-hating "everything except the hit single is just filler" kind of guy. You don't listen to "a bit" of that album. This was 1978, a time you were expected to play it through from start to finish and experience it as a whole concept, while admiring the gatefold sleeve. It doesn't even get going until side 2 (of 4).

PS: get off my lawn

1. BorkedAgain
          Thumb Up

Re: "what can beat War of the worlds: the album" @ Eddie

I'm with you except for the bit about "doesn't get going until..."

All it takes is Richard Burton's stark "No-one could have believed..." and I get goosebumps.

I grew up on this, though.

7. Steve D
    Unhappy

Where is The Thing?

The John Carpenter one.

8. Fibbles
    Trollface

What... No Hitchhikers Series?

But the Earth gets invaded by the Vogons and the Golgafrinchans! That's twice as many aliens as most of these films...

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Re: What... No Hitchhikers Series?

No "Species"

No "Stargate" (the series).

No ...

Very lame list...

1. Miaau
        Alien

Yeah, alien invasions, see. That is the one where the aliens come to Earth and try to to take over, you know a movie like Species, Not Stargate. or ... Hitchhikers guide

2. annodomini2
      Thumb Down

Not technically an invasion:

1. They didn't take over the world, as the aliens were already in control.

2. They blew it up.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Dont forget the mice!!!!

Actually, I came to complain about Footfall being missed out as well, but I do not agree it is dated, not quite. I have read that some of the weapons used by the "baby elephants in elevator shoes and flying hang gliders" are actually being worked on seriously.

I especially liked the part where they form a special tactical team of sci-fi writers to help plan the fight back!!

Archangel taking off!

1. Andy Fletcher

Ah, but the mice...

...were nowhere near as devious as the dolphins. The mice were in it for the knowledge and little good it did them. The dolphins on the other hand concentrated on fish. Delicious fish.

10. Gavin McMenemy

Bit surprised at the choice of the Quatermass Experiment. It's fine but not as great or as eerie as Quatermass and the Pit. I believe it's the only TV show to cause the houses of parliament to take a break.

The Hammer remake is good too.

By far my favourite Quatermass story.

11. Yet Another Commentard

Independence Day and War of the Worlds

Are they not exactly the same plot - as in Independence Day is the HG Wells book set in the US but with the twist of a computer virus and not a cold virus doing for the aliens?

Mind you, so is Mars Attacks. Perhaps we should just do a list of "films with the plot of War of the Worlds"

Of the three, Mars Attacks wins purely because it does not take itself seriously, and mercilessly kills A list actors left right and centre.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Independence Day and War of the Worlds

Mars Attacks:

Most of those actors did the thing for scale rates too, just for the hell of it.

I recall Tim Burton saying he was mystified that Tom Jones hadn't made films before, as he turned out to be really bloody good as an actor and a joy to work with, unlike most other celebs-turned-filmstars it had been his displeasure to deal with over the years. When this was put to Tom Jones, his response was that he'd have loved to go into acting earlier, he'd really enjoyed doing it, but nobody'd ever bothered to ask him before.

2. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Up

+1 for Mars Attacks, funny as hell and really not taking itself seriously and taking ridicule to new heights. The nuclear bomb trapped explosion that gets inhaled by the Martian commander to get high is a particularly brilliant take on the "our most advanced weapons can't touch them" theme.

1. I think so I am?
        Trollface

Mars Attacks opening scene with the burning cow is just the best opening ever for a film.

The only opening better would be if the film titanic started with the ship sinking.

I want a half troll icon

12. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Alien

Another vote for flying elephants!

+1 for the Traveller Fithp.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

V

For me V topped it, but only because I saw this as a kid, got scared stiff when Donovan pulled of the skin in the first pilot episode and the whole story was very intriguing IMO. The now classic question of "what if...".

I also recall another sci-fi / horror-like series but completely forgot the name, maybe any of you guys recall this: it featured around Mars; people could travel there (it was colonized) but the planet housed (of course) aliens who were actually friendly. They manifested themselves as blue orbs, could change into whatever they wanted (what people thought of) but didn't like it very well when 'we' tried to invade Mars.

Any of you happen to recall this ?

1. John McCallum

Re: V

I think that was the Martian Chronicles.Been a long time since I last saw that on the box.

1. John G Imrie

Based on the Ray Bradbury novel 'The Silver Locusts', which was retitled after the TV series.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Thanks a bunch, much appreciated!

2. Yet Another Commentard

Martian Chronicles (renamed) is right.

For some reason it always makes me think of the Levi's advert with Babylon Zoo's "Spaceman" as the song. Now I need a cold shower.

14. SoaG

BigbooTAY!

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

A better alien invasion movie is simply not possible.

15. h4rm0ny

The Man Who Fell To Earth

It's not quite an alien invasion movie, but for one slight twist in the alien's plan it very nearly could have been. And it's one of the most effective plans in the history of sci-fi. A lone alien arrives, disguised as a human being. He takes out some revolutionary patents based on processes unknown to humanity at the time and using its superior intelligence and the odd bit of judiciously applied knowledge about how tech will develop (given it influences discoveries), commences to build a business empire that would make Rockefeller blush. The only thing that stops the alien from more or less just taking over the Earth by simply exploiting the way our society works, is that its intent isn't actually to take over but to achieve something else. Of course the something else is so mind-numblingly stupid it makes the cleverness of the rest of the plot meaningless, but it's still an outstanding idea for how an alien could gain control on Earth using just a smattering of superior knowledge.

1. Thorne
      Alien

Re: The Man Who Fell To Earth

Oh my god! You just described Apple. The fanbois are actually victims of brainwashing. The only difference is they didn't patent revolutionary stuff, just the obvious.

2. Jeebus

Re: The Man Who Fell To Earth

Suffers a moronic ending, much like Holy Grail, someone thought it was clever and time has proven them incorrect.

16. Cameron Colley

What about Chocky?

It was a little frightening to watch as a child and the plot has been pinched by at least one sci-fi TV show.

The book, of course, was even better.

1. ACx

Re: What about Chocky?

I was terrified by that!!! Well happy Im not the only one who remembers it :)

1. h4rm0ny

Chocky wasn't terrifying. What istruly terrifying is if you watch it today and realize how paced, intelligent and thoughtful it was compared to children's television today. The little boy in Chocky was clever and showed excellent logic skills, integrity and forethought. I can only imagine that a child of the same age as that character in today's media would be deemed far too unrealistic.

2. 7-zark-7

Agreed. I have great memories of Chocky and Chocky's Children on childrens TV. I remember finding it quite disturbing as a child.

2. Richard Ball

Triffids.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.