speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise Our special guest this week at El Reg's enterprise tech-cast is George Reese, CTO and co-founder of enStratus, a cloud infrastructure management solution for deploying and managing enterprise-class applications in public, private and hybrid clouds. Your hosts Greg Knieriemen …
Please stop laughing.
the most amazing thing about The Cloud ...
... is that no-one can explain what it is. It's The Cloud. And because The Cloud cannot be defined, it's impossible to suck at it. Or be good at it.
The Cloud Just Is.
Hardly an impartial (or credible) speaker.
Erm, what about Microsoft?
They tried their own offering recently and found they couldn't even sign up for the service!
That's different because they're Microsoft. Excluding DOS. which they actually bought from someone else, their write and release model is:
1) Write code for something new. Release it for sale. Have the users do the Alpha testing.
2) Fix the bugs found during alpha testing. Release it for sale as a full number upgrade. Have the users do the Beta testing.
3) Fix the bugs found during Beta testing. Release it for sale as another full number upgrade. Discover users no longer want the product.
4) Kill the product. Let is mold on the shelf for a year or more.
5) Discover need for shelved product. Re-brand it. Do some actual internal Beta testing. Fix bugs found.
6) Release it for sale under the re-branded name. Roll out the hype machine. Get users to buy it and conduct additional beta testing.
7) Fix new bugs found in beta testing. Release it as a .x upgrade at a discounted price.
8) Corner the market.
So nobody is actually expecting MS to have a working Cloud product. The only thing we know for sure is that when they have a working product, it won't be a Cloud product.
Oh, and please note, I'm not saying it is RIGHT, just that it is.
- Review Reg man looks through a Glass, darkly: Google's toy ploy or killer tech specs?
- MEN WANTED to satisfy town full of yearning BRAZILIAN HOTNESS
- +Comment 'Stop dissing Google or quit': OK, I quit, says Code Club co-founder
- Nokia: Read our Maps, Samsung – we're HERE for the Gear
- Apple tried to get a ban on Galaxy, judge said: NO, NO, NO