Quantum and other vendors being sued by Overland Storage for allegedly infringing its patents are in more of a mood to fight than settle. On Friday Overland - the supplier of REO and NEO tape and disk protection systems, and Snap-branded filers - said it was suing Quantum, Venture Corp, Spectra Logic, PivotStor, Qualstar, …
What the article fails to make clear is what is meant by a design patent (or patented design as it is referred to in the text). A design patent is the US equivalent of what most other countries refer to as a Registered Design and is all about the physical appearance and characteristics of the item, not how it functions. A utility patent covers the latter, and is generally seen as the more important form of intellectual property for technology companies, since the outside appearance of a product can easily be changed to avoid infringing, whereas re-designing the functionality so that it doesn't infringe may be either expensive or technologically impossible in the short term.
These guys can wait a very long time under their bridges before they sue...
No... wait... That's *Patient* Trolls.
For years Overland was in dire need of a cash boost. Their products were never that great, just average. Is this how they'll get their much needed cash? through royalties?
Yeah, I mean that worked so well for (New) SCO.
- +Comment Anti-Facebook Ello: Here's why we're still in beta. SPAMGASM!
- Vid+Pics Microsoft WINDOWS 10: Seven ATE Nine. Or Eight did really
- Analysis Windows 10: One for the suits, right Microsoft? Or so one THOUGHT
- Xbox hackers snared US ARMY APACHE GUNSHIP ware - Feds
- George Clooney, WikiLeaks' lawyer wife hand out burner phones to wedding guests