back to article D-Link DHP-1565 802.11n router with integrated powerline

Running network traffic over the data-unfriendly environment of mains wiring is a trick Reg Hardware has been enthusing about for some years now. Only once in that time has anyone integrated it into another product. That, to refresh your memory, was a power brick Netgear put out for its routers. It was a standard AC adaptor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 38

…hook up two of these over a 500Mb/s powerline backbone

How many of these can you hook together? My parents house is big, with damn thick walls (1m thick brick walls in places). Regular wifi doesn't even get from one end of the house to the other, and none of it penetrates out into the garden or sheds - all of which are hooked up with the same mains.

Could I use 4 or more of these to blanket the entire area with wifi? Would roaming between base stations work?

1. annodomini2

Re: …hook up two of these over a 500Mb/s powerline backbone

You can get homeplug wireless access points.

2. Bassey

Re: …hook up two of these over a 500Mb/s powerline backbone

You'd be better off with a Wireless range extender. My parents live in a 200 year-old converted chapel with 1m thick stone walls. The WiFi has always been horrific. I got a TP-Link WiFi range extender off amazon for just over £20. It took a little bit of fiddling to set up (TP-Link use a different IP range to almost every other router manufacturer so you have to change it in the setup software) but, once up and running, it provided 4-5 bars of coverage throught the house. And you can add more if you need.

The wife was so impressed SHE actually asked me to buy one for our house to give her a better wireless signal in one part of the house that has always suffered. I'd actually already ordered one so Amazon looked really good when it turned up the morning after she had suggested it that evening!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why did you put powerline in the headline?

Better wear your flameproof suits. The Radio HAM brigade will be here soon threatening you with sharp sticks because you mentioned powerline networking in a positive light.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why did you put powerline in the headline?

Do what you want, do what you will

just don't mess up your neighbour's thrill

FZ

2. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Re: Why did you put powerline in the headline?

Well, since this is a new product on the market introduced after October 2011, it will have to be fully EN55022B compliant from launch.

If that is the case, then it shouldn't cause any problems.

Anyone want to lay any bets on it actually being compliant? With the knowledge that similar products exceed these levels by as much as 40dB?

I thought not...

3. Andrew Baines Silver badge
    FAIL

Aren't they forgetting something?

Powerline doesn't work if you use a UPS or surge protectors. I have UPS on my broadband connection and surge protectors on everything else.

1. Matt 21

Re: Aren't they forgetting something?

Don't know about UPS but it works on surge protectors for me. The performance is down a bit but it's still faster than my Internet connection, so fast enough for most things and even fast enough to stream non HD films over.

4. Len
    Stop

But does it support IPv6?

Does it? Or will it be provided in a firmware upgrade?

5. Bob H

Have to agree with the conclusion: the fact that it lacks 5GHz spoils it for me. But I am annoyed when people want specific software for USB functionality, should be using standard NAS functionality!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've never met...

...a Data Link product that wasn't junk.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Drummer Boy
    Go

Nearly There

This is just what I need, but please can I have more than 4 network connections, and an ADSL router built in?.

Currently I have 4 on my ADSL router and another 4 on my NetGear Powerline hub, and it works a treat.

I have to plug in Xbox, WD TV Live Box, BD Player, TV plus NAS. I'd rather save WiFi bandwidth for laptops etc, so hard points are good for me.

9. Snar
    FAIL

500Gb over mains....

Watch out for interference to DAB and FM......Buy and have fun

Ha ha ha!

10. Compact101

At £100 a router, a pair would be a little steep for Powerline.

Better getting a decent router and a pair of the TPLink or Devolo's for around £60

I setup Devolo's in my parents house and they love the roaming 4/5 bars around the whole house, where before the iPad would drop out in half of it.

11. Tim Parker

Not so revolutionary ?

"Only once in that time has anyone integrated it into another product."

As already pointed out offline, this has been done (years ago in some cases) by a number of people. Zyxel is the one that comes to mind firstly, but I believe Solwise and Corinex have also produced at least one each (didn't Solwise have an powerline "extension lead" with a router in it as well ?)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like