With Atari celebrating its 40th anniversary today, we thought we'd look back at the company's rise and fall in the computing world, in case you're either too young or - worst case scenario - too addled to remember. Or you haven't yet seen the Atari feature on El Reg. Either way, here's ten highlights from Atari's history that …
I miss my 65XE
Wrote my first programs even had a computer desk for it, Zybex was the best game i had for it, sort of missed the ST/Amiga thing could never afford one, didnt get back into computers till Uni and the start of the net. Good times and slow loading.
I had an 800XL with the floppy disk drive that was so noisy I could never get away with playing any games when I was supposed to be in bed.
I also had one of the graphics tablets it had which made a great substitute paddle for playing breakout. I used to engage cheat mode on the higher levels by resting a book on the space bar (which was the pause button and would produce a jittery half-speed with the key-repeat).
Those were the days.
- +Comment 'Private Facebook' Ello: There's a reason we're in beta. SPAMGASM!
- NASA rover Curiosity drills HOLE in MARS 'GOLF COURSE'
- WHY did Sunday Mirror stoop to slurping selfies for smut sting?
- Business is back, baby! Hasta la VISTA, Win 8... Oh, yeah, Windows 9
- Third patch brings more admin Shellshock for the battered and Bashed