Feeds

back to article Low-cost Aakash tablet scheme is back on track

A new version of the ultra low-cost Aakash tablet built by British firm DataWind has been announced by the Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay (IIT-B), with deliveries to over 100,000 students and teachers nationwide expected from July. The institute took over the project – designed to empower students and teachers in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Wow - that's cheaper than the Pi

looks like IT and learning is in safe hands after-all.

Silver badge

Is it still subsidised

By the Indian government? I cannot see how they can make it for that price otherwise.

Silver badge

Re: Is it still subsidised

yes it is subsidised to the students. However the non subsidised one is about twice the price http://www.ubislate.com/

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Re: Is it still subsidised

Even at twice the price, its comparable with a PI once a screen and touch screen have been added.

There has been some debate over whether a Pi plus TV/HDMI Monitor is better than a tablet for teaching programming and computer science and with both becoming available for education usage it will be interesting to see how each live up to expectations..

Each have had their development problems but both are progressing nicely. The Pi remains a developer board with a number of issues reported which will presumably have to be resolved before the full educational release. I have no idea of the status of the Aakash in that respect.

Anonymous Coward

Perfect

They can develop faulty software for Government funded banks on the go.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Re: Perfect

That would be a cheap shot - only if it was accurate. Seems you haven't read the relevant articles.

This reminds me

Have el reg any plans to do a round up of cheapo tablets?

Re: This reminds me

Surely you meant: "to test a roundup of cheapo tablets", didn't you?

yes, I suppose test is an important word to include here. I may have wrongly assumed that the staff at el reg wouldn't just use google and amazon reviews.

Go

When El Reg tests things it's fine, but when they don't then they don't seem to read anything other than the manufacturers puff. Even distilling other reviews would be a improvement over some of the roundups we see. Three cheers for the horde of commentards who plough in with real facts and recommendations afterwards.

This topic is closed for new posts.