back to article Canon PowerShot G1 X compact camera

Canon’s ever-popular Powershot G-series has a new and exciting addition that promises to expand the line-up rather than just upgrade it. While the new Powershot G1 X keeps some of the looks and features of its predecessor – the G12 – it also departs from previous models in significant ways. Canon PowerShot G1 X compact camera …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Gosnell

"Once the novelty of an interchangeable lens compact has worn off"

An intentionally provocative statement*, I'd imagine and hope! Is it really the case that the big two are yet to commit to a largish-sensor CSC because their current formats are fundamentally better for being shackled by 35mm silver halide considerations, or because they are frankly sh*t scared about anything that might undercut and undermine their established ecosystems and the status quo? It's really no surprise that it's the companies with no substantial history in 35mm (or, in the case of Olympus, frankly nothing to lose) who are daring to be different, and truly innovative at present. There will always be a place for full-frame dSLRs for those for whom money is no object, but the consumer-level cropped frame EOSes and so on (mostly used more for cachet than technical merit, in fairness) are increasingly looking like bulky anachronisms.

* as this one might be interpreted, also, though spoken from the heart...

1. Ru

Re: "Once the novelty of an interchangeable lens compact has worn off"

"Once the novelty has worn off" seems like a slightly baffling statement. Maybe people change back to compact cameras after the novelty of a big, heavy, expensive dSLR has worn off? Maybe people start buying EVIL cameras because the novelty of having a lightweight, pocketable compact has worn off and versatility appeals? Maybe the novelty will wear off digital for some people, and they'll go back to a nice 4x5.

The phrase has no useful meaning, and in this specific case I can't see many compelling reasons to move to a G1X from a micro 4/3 device... hell, I never saw many reasons to choose a G-series camera since the S-series was resurrected. The G1X is a device filling a very small niche, and I hope that it is just a placeholder whilst Canon sort their strategy out.

1. browntomatoes

Based on anecdotal evidence (ie friends who have bought them), I think the G-series is largely sold to people who like taking pictures and want to do it "more seriously" but are scared off buying a DSLR by the perceived "complexity" (or to some extent the cost). This is in contrast to EVIL which tends to be bought by people who would have bought a DSLR before EVIL existed but prefer the form-factor. That is a market which Canon does not serve at present.

I do agree about the S-series though. Awesome cameras - true compacts but with full exposure control and the ability to shoot RAW. The sensor size means quality will never be as good as a DSLR but then a DSLR will never be as good as medium format for the same reason - photography is always about compromises.

2. Stacy

I think that either you missed the poin that the author was trying to make, or I missed your point :)

I have a 5D, and three Sigma EXDG lenses for various uses, as my main camera and I am really very happy with it.

But... I go on special trips with it, or I set it up for photo shoots at home. It is not something that I can carry arround with me constantly.

Compact cameras on the other hand can be carried around with me, but the quality of the sensors is terrible. Good for web use or snaps but when you get up to poster sized prints you start to see too many artifacts (for me anyway - these things are subjective). And of course you have no control over the shot - it's point and click, exactly what it was designed for - and what my other half likes about their camera.

The new range of CSC provide a nice inbetween step. Small enough to be caried, versatile enough to make some nice shots. Well some of them at least (the Sony NEX range with their larger sensors look interesting, as does the Panasonic range. The Nikon on the other hand produces the same artifacts as the standard compact camera from the shots I have seen as it also uses an extremely small sensor).

But... Do you need the hassle of interchangable lenses on the CSC ranges in order to get the control or quality? If I can get a handbag sized camera with a good lens, sensor and manual controls do I care that I only have the one that it came with? 120mm seems a little short for some of the shots I like to take, but I wonder if I couldlive with it...

2. John 73

As a recent CSC purchaser...

...I say No to the final question in the article. One big reason is that compacts with the quality of CSCs seem to be more expensive than the CSCs for some reason. Also, even as a beginner, being able to select a brighter pancake lens instead of the zoom means I can take photos I wouldn't otherwise be able to.

As ever, it's horses for courses and I suspect that the (no longer very) new formats will at the very least force manufacturers to think more creatively about what they offer customers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

battery life

250 exposures not enough? That's a lot of rolls of film! I've never used more than half a dozen rolls in a day myself. But perhaps the 250 is nominal and what is really meant is the battery does not last long enough if switched on all day. I still don't really see the problem, spare batteries are no more bulky than spare rolls of film.

As for merits and demerits of compact systems etc. Modern DSLRs are all too bulky to carry around unless you are setting out that day with the intention to do photography. Carrying a variety of lenses poses the same problem. So it seems to me there is little difference between having one lens that is never changed and having a lens that is fixed to the camera.

SLR's will persist until electronic viewfinders are 'good enough'. The optical viewfinder on this Canon appears to be more in the nature of a gunsight than a viewfinder: Better than nothing but I'll keep my FujiX100.

4. buddypepper
    Stop

20cm Macro?

I was sold until the 20cm macro focus....hardly macro. I've got a G7right now, which can get to 1cm.

5. jef_

They're getting there...

Replace this lens with a fixed f1.4 one and I'm in...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It might be easier to judge cameras in these reviews if the test shots were not so bland. I've had one 3 weeks, wth a bit of thought in composition and exposure it's already paid for itself with shots of subjects who found my DLSRs rather intimidating. Image quality is superb. Yes it's a bit slow, but why does it need to be any faster? Press the shutter button at the right moment rather than blindly fillng up your memory card and you'll get better results plus a longer lasting battery. Low light AF is BAD but when it manually focuses so easily, it's a minor point that within an hour or so you no longer notice. Lighting is brilliant too - it's very capable with off-camera flashes and has a useful-if-not-as-high-as-I'd-like high speed sync.

It doesn't suit the "look mum, my cameras functions let me be a photographer!" brigade - but the image quality makes it bloody good for Photography.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think I'm the opposite. I thought this was the camera for me. The carry around when you don't want the SLR option. But the speed is the killer. Not the fps, but the focussing speed. Reminds me of other cameras I have that just don't make the grade - G9 being an example, although this would stomp all over it for ISO capability. Perhaps they'll update in a year or two to sort this issue. Until then I'm guessing it's a CSC or nothing.

7. Dave 126

Wait a minute! There's maybe another option:

Anyone interested in this camera should at least look at the Sony RX100. So new that it hasn't had any full reviews yet - just encouraging 'hands-on' previews - it is a jacket-pocket camera with a 1" sensor. It is a different compromise between size and and image quality that some might find preferable. It is in the same "I could get a DSLR for that!" price range as the G1X, too.

Horses, courses.

8. Gashead

Sound?

As ever I read a review touting 1080p but not a single mention of sound options. I had a G9 which worked well with loud volumes but mono, G12 I now have is stereo but loud volumes are hopeless. I have approaching 3 million live concert hits on YouTube but have never seen a compact camera review cover high volume handling so simply buy blind..... err deaf.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Lens scratches?

Does the lens cover still scratch the lens? [As it has done on several previous iterations of the G-series]

And do Canon still deny there's a problem [in spite of numerous internet articles about it] and refuse to repair affected cameras?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like