The Ribbon will come into its own in a touch interface.

This topic was created by Anomynous Coward .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anomynous Coward

The Ribbon will come into its own in a touch interface.

Discuss.

So like everyone I don't get along with the ribbon in Office apps (yet).

But I doubt I'd get on with the old Office menus on a tablet. Is this where the ribbon will finally prove useful?

Has Microsoft done some forward planning that actually makes sense? Or have they accidentally got something partly right?

Or is it all just as sh*t as we first thought?

2. squilookle
    Linux

One common complaint about the ribbon is that it takes up screen real estate, and that will not change on a tablet. In face, there is even less space on most tablet screens, especially if you're using an on screen keyboard.

Also, for the ribbon to be useful, the tablet would have to be a decent work machine in the first place, and I believe that most people would agree that is not the case.

So, I see your point, but I don't think it is well suited. I think the ideal, in certain environments, would be HUD matched with voice recognition. True, you would have to be in an environment where you wouldn't disturb anyone else or worry about people trying to listen to what you were doing, but I think you could get fairly productive with such a set up.

3. Mr Young
    Pint

Lets face it

If I could design stuff by poking a ribbon with my finger I really would feel sort of inadequate in some way maybe?

This topic is closed for new posts.