Feeds

back to article Tech fault at RBS and Natwest freezes millions of UK bank balances

RBS and Natwest have failed to register inbound payments for up to three days, customers have reported, leaving people unable to pay for bills, travel and even food. The banks - both owned by RBS Group - have confirmed that technical glitches have left bank accounts displaying the wrong balances and certain services unavailable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Stop

What is

this pay check you speak of?

Re: What is

It's when your wife duly informs you on pay day that you have no money left after she has checked your account.

its the American version of a Pay Cheque.

Silver badge
Coat

Wasn't it a rather naff film...?

Re: Andrew

Yeah, but what's a "Pay Cheque"? I have literally never seen one, and I'm fairly long in the tooth.

Anonymous Coward

Pay Check

Never mind if it is the American version of anything this is a bloody UK sight so stick to UK language please.

Headmaster

Those in glass houses....

In both American and UK English the correct noun is 'site'.

Though given the tenor of your comment, perhaps you were looking for a similarly spelt noun: one with a letter 'h'?

Paris Hilton

Re: Those in glass houses....

I thought this SITE was bi-Atlantic?

Anonymous Coward

So

Looks like I'll have to lend my folks some money then as they both bank with RBS.

Anonymous Coward

Oooh

Not good, I used to work there pre-redundancy... This is a highly unusual state of affairs, the IT in major UK banks is highly complex, I could have a few wild stabs in the dark at what may have caused the problem, but will hold myself back.

I will comment though, that RBS staff have taken shit for several years now general morale is pretty low. This is from the new management offshoring their jobs, random redundancies, random non-redundancies where people have been told they're going and then asked to stay on again and again, protesters outside your office/branch. Also, at the height of the financial crisis the abuse that you'd get from random strangers when they found out who you worked for was staggering. The landlady at my local told me once that "you can just tell them to f*ck off, you know".

I loved my time at RBS, great people, fantastic IT, but sadly it just all got too much and when the voluntary redundancies were offered, I jumped...

Re: Oooh

[quote]I loved my time at RBS, great people, fantastic IT, but sadly it just all got too much and when the voluntary redundancies were offered, I jumped...

[/quote]

Same here. Was quite good until about 2005/6 ish when they started the offshoring and bell curve (end) performance management stuff. I suppose the root cause wont be "sacked all the decent staff and shipped them off to mumbai"

3 days for ALL customers. That IS bad. Would have been resolved within hours when I worked there. Glad I am not there anymore.

Anonymous Coward

[quote]

Same here. Was quite good until about 2005/6 ish when they started the offshoring and bell curve (end) performance management stuff. I suppose the root cause wont be "sacked all the decent staff and shipped them off to mumbai"

3 days for ALL customers. That IS bad. Would have been resolved within hours when I worked there. Glad I am not there anymore.

[/quote]

Had to do a double take there and reread the article, thought you were talking about another bailed out bank doing exactly the same.

Anonymous Coward

Pretty much the same here. The problem would have lasted half a day at most. In most businesses, and the same there, you just key it in "manually" the next day or do a "roll back" if it's a computer bug. Seems there is too much concentration on the profits/sales and not on the good work the staff are doing. Fast forward a few years and your left with profits but failing IT I guess. Hope the problem gets sorted soon for those still there working hard despite all the efforts of the management. Oh, and the customers too!!!

Anonymous Coward

It was only a matter of time before a major incident was going to happen. My job went to India too, and while some of the Indians have OK technical skills, the churn is so high nobody understands how anything works or hangs together.

I hope the accounts who thought it would be cheaper to offshore the IT find out just how much it's really going to cost them.

And God help us all when the EU forces our banks to be split up - that's an IT disaster just waiting to be screwed up by offshore IT workers who's banking won't be affected when the systems are down for days.

[quote] an IT disaster just waiting to be screwed up by offshore IT workers who's banking won't be affected when the systems are down for days.[/quote]

A very good point, if you work for Natwest or RBS you must have (or you certainly used to have ) a Natwest / RBS bank account so that your wages were paid in. So there is some vested interest in getting things right because you would be directly affected if you screwed up. Not so anymore when you dont use the products you look after.

UPDATE : Recieved a text this morning from Natwest (22nd) saying that accounts are still affected. All those IT savings are suddenly going to be eaten up by lost customers, refunds, ex gratia payments etc etc.

Anonymous Coward

could have a few wild stabs in the dark at what may have caused the problem, was Oooh

The rumours I've heard is it that it was some sort of problem with the CA7 mainframe job scheduler and that the overnight batch system is screwed.

Anonymous Coward

RBS & Lloysds are both opting to "pay back the government" by slahing roles and offshoring the remainder. The result is an unholy mess like this where they no longer have anyone on site with a clear picture of how things work and then compund the error with change management processes that don't prevent bad changes but seriously impede corrective action.

Anonymous Coward

as another ex-Dundas/Goodmans staffer - I'm pretty shocked about how long this has been going on and can't put my finger on what actually broke (although, my knowledge is 4-5yrs out of date) -- we had huge hoops to jump through for various extensions and add-ons to eBanking;

In other entirely unrelated news, Infosys replaced a lot of the technical workforce with offshore staff over the last 5 years.

Bronze badge
Happy

"Just to let you know, I'm charging NatWest £30 for being incompetent"

nice one!

problt not in the t&c's tho

Silver badge

Hold on - isn't RBS / NatWest taxpayer owned? So that £30 is coming out of our pockets!

Not a good day for this to happen when it's expected Moody will downgrade the bank's creditworthiness later today.

Gimp

Actually, it's probably a good day for it to happen..

.. at least from RBS's perspective. At least their can't be a run on the bank if no one can get to their money.

Cynical? What, me?

"Just to let you know, I'm charging NatWest £30 for being incompetent"

Only £30?????????????????

Bronze badge

It would only be reasonable to go through their terms and conditions to find every example of penalties and fees when you late with a payment, and charge them then the same.

This impacted on Ulster Bank in Ireland as well. Epic fail, http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/generic/service-update.ashx

Anonymous Coward

Err...

All of RBS' systems are hosted on the same back end, with the same code, just in different databases. The different companies which you bank with are just "brands" applied over the top, so it's not surprising that everything would be affected.

FAIL

Today is payday for us. My wages were not showing this morning on my account balance, and I could not get a statement online.I checked again at abut 15:00 and I can now get a statement online that shows my wage is there, but the balance has yet to be updated to reflect it, so there is some movement, atleast.

I have more due to come out over the next few days than I have in the account (unless my balance gets fixed today) and there will be trouble if they try to charge me for going over. I see a few people have asked what will happen in that case on Twitter but they are ignoring customer questions and just tweeting canned statements every so often.

Natwest have been nothing but trouble for me since I joined them three years ago, and I'm already shopping around to move on.

You may need to provide evidence from your employer that the value date on the payment they sent was prior to the date at which your bank bounced all your direct debits etc. But upon doing so, your bank will then be liable for any fees incurred as a result of their error.

Pint

@Andrew James

Good advice, cheers.

I just checked again and everything is as it should be now. Looks like they are gradually getting it sorted. Hope others are experiencing the same.

Pint

Yep working for me now too, online banking seems to be working properly and my balance is updating properly.

Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

I just transfered a fiver in from a Coop account to one of the RBS/England accounts which is being moved over to Santander. The fiver was moved between accounts, using faster payments, in less time that I could log off my Coop account and into my RBS account.

It appears that this is a rather more complicated problem than "incoming cash doesn't work".

WTF?

It's 15:44 and I can confirm that I can log into my RBS Digital Banking as usual, but it immediately tells me that the service is currently unavailable and my only option is to log out. I've never seen this during the day and it usually only happens very briefly in the small hours of the morning as can be expected with such systems.

I can also say that I transferred money out of that account to another provider (a building society) and the funds cleared almost instantly and were credited at the other end. That has never happened before (normally takes 2-3 working days) and I was surprised given that I'm certain sure I wasn't on fast payments.

The whole thing is a bit odd. Hope they have it fixed soon.

Our finance department made payments to about 200 people, to hit their accounts on wednesday and thursday (today) this week. Of those 200 people more than 40 have phoned the office to say they've not received their pay, and when i mentioned i heard about this earlier today they've checked and all of them are with RBS or Natwest.

We've also had a significant problem with one of our customers at the end of last week, and they agreed they would settle the full amount outstanding this week, sending confirmation of payment on Tuesday. The payment hasnt arrived with us. They bank with Natwest. We dont. So obviously they have problems with payment being sent out, and not just with monies coming in.

Welcome to the modern world

It's easy to scream at the banks for problems like this; and I have nothing but sympathy for all of those affected, both customers and staff.

But this is the sort of problem that could happen at a lot of places and as more and more business has moved to computerised systems, and then online as well, it means that we are all much more exposed as individuals and as a society.

Those of us not with RBS group could feel quite smug; until you realise that perhaps your company uses them to process wages or maybe the travel agent for your summer holiday. These things are all getting more and more entwined and what affects one affects all; and ultimately all of society.

It's really easy to say that they should have BC / DR plans and that these should be tested regularly. But the reality is that sometimes, shit happens. How will you buy fuel if the credit card stops being accepted; or groceries?

People used to be pretty resilient and local communities would work together. But that is much less likely to happen these days.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Welcome to the modern world

They do have DR and continuity plans, it's just that sometimes, it's not as simple as that. It's likely that a failover to the DR datacentre wouldn't sort anything out for this sort of problem.

As it happens, my money is on a routing payments type issue. RBS are doing lots of work at the moment moving accounts to separate silos because they're being made to sell all the NatWest/Scot and the RBS/England accounts to Santander. Is this some sort of sort code issue? If it is a sort code issue, is that with the clearing houses or with RBS? It appears that faster payments is working, is it actually BACS that isn't? We don't know if CHAPS is working, although a three day outage would have Stephen Hester visiting the BoE to explain himself, so that's unlikely. What about cheque processing, is that working? Are internal transfers working? That's only just scratching the surface, there are so many ways to move money these days.

Silver badge
FAIL

No. This is a bank, and they have my money. I expect them to have their shit together. It's their job.

The fact they've probably sacked all the expensive folk that knew their jobs, and scrimped on DR/BC is not my problem. If this happened at my bank, I'd be out of there as fast as I could pull my money & direct deposit out.

This is exactly the sort of thing the "fail" icon was meant for.

Joke

Air travel and banking systems? Reminds me of Dilbert... http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1996-01-31/

Anonymous Coward

Dilbert...

... so true at times it hurts...

Want to email into the Reg and tell us a little more...?

>> news@theregister.co.uk

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Welcome to the modern world

Hi A/C...

Would you mind getting in touch with El Reg's Anna Leach - aleach@theregister.com? She'd love to have a word in private.

Regards,

El Mod

Anonymous Coward

Your money?

Why did you lend it to the bank by having it on deposit there in the first place? You are the fail not the system.

g e
Silver badge

Didn't another bank stuff up just the other day?

Quel coincidence... or is it

Anonymous Coward

Re: Didn't another bank stuff up just the other day?

Yes, it is.

Anonymous Coward

Money issues

Software glitch or insolvent?

Bronze badge

23m customers - until this happened

"According to their corporate information RBS Group has 26m customers in the UK."

That was LAST week... expect smaller numbers now.

"The fiver was moved between accounts, using faster payments,"

FPS is separate from BACS - something wrong with the RBS BACS connection?

Quite why the whole RBS-Natwest-UlsterBank-everythingelse behemoth was allowed to grow to that size in the first place, I don't know. (Well, I have some suspicions...)

Guess this is what you get when HP run your systems

Anonymous Coward

Err...

It's a good job the don't then, isn't it?

(HP ran some of ABN Amro, nothing at RBS itself.)

Anonymous Coward

Hmm

You can guess, but HP don't run RBS's "systems", so it's a strange exercise to undertake ...

Re: Hmm

I thought that EDS ( owned by HP ) run the RBS systems ?

Anonymous Coward

@Caff: Nope.

You may be getting mixed up with the former Bank of Scotland, possibly?

That could be it my bad.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.