So you have decided that private cloud is the way to go. You have calculated the capacity requirements, done the architectural design, decided whether any equipment and software can be repurposed. You have ordered and received the additional kit, built the racks and organised the air conditioning, screwed in the servers, storage …
The rationale & business case needs to stack up before you start building infrastructure
The technical aspects are important but we've found with our clients the critical areas that need to be addressed first are from the business and process perspective.
Specific categories can be summarised below:
1. Strategic Drivers - what are the business objectives of migrating to a cloud solution? Business focus areas? Time to market? Flexibility? Current ability to deliver? Cost base?
2. What are the Service Drivers? e.g. performance, agility, availability, security, efficiency?
3. What Governance processes are in place? (This is key) e.g. operating model maturity, regulation, policies for data and security, location dependencies?
4. Technology landscape? what is set up infrastructure and users; numbers, geographic spread, applications, maturity
5. Costs - is there transparency of costs for applications & infrastructure?
Once those areas are covered then transition considerations for the migration path need to be planned and managed.
Building a private cloud 'on spec' and then thinking about how to fill it/migrate may not work for all organisations.
We have a cloud readiness assessment service Broadgate Consultant's BROADScale that can help firms looking to migrate to the cloud either private or public.
- Xmas Round-up Ten top tech toys to interface with a techie’s Christmas stocking
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Review Hey Linux newbie: If you've never had a taste, try perfect Petra ... mmm, smells like Mint 16
- NSFW Oz couple get jiggy in pharmacy in 'banned' condom ad
- Analysis Microsoft's licence riddles give Linux and pals a free ride to virtual domination