So you have decided that private cloud is the way to go. You have calculated the capacity requirements, done the architectural design, decided whether any equipment and software can be repurposed. You have ordered and received the additional kit, built the racks and organised the air conditioning, screwed in the servers, storage …
The rationale & business case needs to stack up before you start building infrastructure
The technical aspects are important but we've found with our clients the critical areas that need to be addressed first are from the business and process perspective.
Specific categories can be summarised below:
1. Strategic Drivers - what are the business objectives of migrating to a cloud solution? Business focus areas? Time to market? Flexibility? Current ability to deliver? Cost base?
2. What are the Service Drivers? e.g. performance, agility, availability, security, efficiency?
3. What Governance processes are in place? (This is key) e.g. operating model maturity, regulation, policies for data and security, location dependencies?
4. Technology landscape? what is set up infrastructure and users; numbers, geographic spread, applications, maturity
5. Costs - is there transparency of costs for applications & infrastructure?
Once those areas are covered then transition considerations for the migration path need to be planned and managed.
Building a private cloud 'on spec' and then thinking about how to fill it/migrate may not work for all organisations.
We have a cloud readiness assessment service Broadgate Consultant's BROADScale that can help firms looking to migrate to the cloud either private or public.
- Vid Reg bloke zips through an iPHONE 6 queue from ZERO to 60 SECONDS
- Anal-ysis Buying memory in the iPhone 6: Like wiping your bottom with dollar bills
- Teardown Pop open this iPhone 6 and see where the magic oozes from ... oh hello again, Qualcomm
- Competition Your chance to WIN the WORLD'S ONLY HANDHELD ZX SPECTRUM
- Analysis Apple's warrant canary riddle: Cock-up, conspiracy, or anti-Google point-scoring