back to article Introduction to Virtualisation, Microsoft-style

Microsoft has introduced a new series of tracks into the Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA). These are introductions to various topics targeted at Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs). SMEs being the bulk of my professional experience, I am curious, and have taken the opportunity to give one of these tracks a go. The pick of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
IT Angle

Virtualisation For Dummies...

...by dummies.

Anonymous Coward

Why the dig?

Not like HyperV or the course, or just a trolling "£$%er?

Bronze badge
Gimp

Why not?

Hyper-V is only borderline functional, and Microsoft has a long and very unflattering history of incompetence, so taking a Microsoft course in anything is a bit like the blind leading the blind, especially on the topic of virtualisation.

Was there some other reason you felt it necessary to rush to defend a company like Microsoft?

Gold badge

Re: Why not?

Hyper-V itself is not borderline functional. Certainly not Hyper-V 3.0, which is a massive improvement over the previous offerings.

What was borderline functional was Microsoft's "integration tools" code (specifically the kernel code) which Microsoft donated to the open source community and then functionally abandoned. After a public (and well deserved) spanking by the openstack community, Microsoft turned its attention back to that code, and all reports are that it has started to shape back up.

Long story short? Hyper-v (at least Hyper-v 3.0) is Good Stuff. Microsoft’s integration work however (and its frigid-then-tepid-then-frigid-again support for heterogeneous environments) is questionable at best. It’s holding them back, and…

…they are stating to figure that out.

Slowly but surely Microsoft are starting to realise that they no longer own any market. If they want to remain relevant, they have to start developing their software for other platforms. This is why you are seeing Microsoft make iOS apps for major items, and the beginning of Android support.

I am not going to sit here and defend Microsoft; it would be pointless. The company is too large, too disorganised…one department can do something wonderful and then have their legs cut out from under them by the absolute idiocy of another.

Microsoft is a scattered collection of fiefdoms, all at war with each other nearly as much as with the rest of the world. As a company, Microsoft makes some really dumb decisions. But it can also - does also - make some really great stuff.

Microsoft isn’t Apple. It isn’t a single, coherent entity. Yet neither is it Samsung; a collection of independent corporations loosely tied together into a chaebol.

Microsoft is – for better or worse – a community. With all the benefits – and foibles – that such a concept brings.

I’ll stick my head above the fence here and say Hyper-V is worthwhile. Microsoft have done some good stuff with virtualisation this time around. And the MVA thing? This one time they got it right.

As always, we’ll have to wait to see about the rest of it…

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums