back to article Windows Metro Maoist cadres reach desktop, pound it flat

The revolutionary dogma of Metro is sweeping through the old Windows desktop, too, a new leak of Window 8 confirms. The leaked build, newer than the public release of a fortnight ago, abandons the 3D design elements introduced into Windows in 1990 for a resolutely two-dimensional world. The 'legacy' desktop in Windows 8 is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

Oh sweet jesus...

...if that's real, what an utter fucking disaster windows 8 is going to be. I guess it might be finger friendly, but the vast majority of windows users are not going to be using their fingers any time soon. And besides, it's utterly retro, but not in a good way.

jai
Silver badge

Re: Oh sweet jesus...

it's MetroRetro??? aka shite!

Bronze badge
Coat

You say retro, I say metro. Let's call the whole thing off.

"I guess it might be finger friendly" - where's the digitus impudicus icon when you need it?

FAIL

Corporate suicide?

That they are forcing this on the desktop makes me wonder what on earth they are thinking.

Congratulations Microsoft, you have just pissed off the vast majority of your customer base in the vain hope to gain a puny market shart share in the world of Phones and Tablets.

Is anybody taking bets on how long after the launch of WIn 8 Ballmer has to pack his bags?

Happy

Metro was designed by experts

A good user interface is all about delivering content to the user, and the entire UI design team at Microsoft enthusiastically agrees that Metro provides a truly superior user experience. With regard to enterprise use, usability experts point out that productivity is impaired by trying to work on more than one thing at a time, and Metro is intended to prevent you from doing just that. 3D effects and the like simply distract from the app content, and aren't necessary when all applications run full-screen.

Remember, Windows 8 and Metro were designed by Microsoft, the true experts in computing. While some users may initially complain about having to learn a better way to do things, Metro is poised to usher in a shiny new age of computing, merging the demands of content providers and enterprise managers.

Re: Metro was designed by experts

Remember, Windows 8 and Metro were designed by Microsoft, the true experts in computing.

So -now- they're expert, having been ignorant for the past 20 years?

Could use a dollop of coherence.

Flame

I predict that shortly after introducing Windows 8, Microsoft will fire every last, lousy, so-called expert who convinced them to treat all devices like a small phone screen.

This isn't a new age of computing. It's fucking stupid.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

I see what you did there, unlike the people who downvoted you.

Bronze badge
Devil

The sarcasm is palpable

Anonymous Coward

"Experts" at what?

I certainly hope this was intended as sarcasm!

"Delivering content to the user"? "Merging the demands of content providers and enterprise managers"? That may be what someone else wants for my computer, but it certainly isn't my objective!

Silver badge
Alien

Re: "Experts" at what?

Holy sh*t! In the darkness behind my LCD display, the rotating funnel of the near-marketing experience suddenly opened up and I could dimly see in its near-infinite depth, illuminated by the red color of glowing embers, a squamous yet ruguous arm, dressed in Armani, beckoning me on. Then I panicked and by utter force of will command my soul to return to base reality!!!

I am afraid to go to sleep.

Re: Corporate suicide?

I'm guessing somewhere about 3~6 months after initial sales figures come in.

Bronze badge
Alien

Taking the Pea. Typically known as Pea Artists :)

Thumb Up

Awsome trollage, MonkeyBoy!

Boffin

"I guess it might be finger friendly"

Can you guess which finger I will be using with Windows 8? Since Microsoft seems to be soft in the head lately, I will give them a hint. It is the finger between my index finger and ring finger.

Anonymous Coward

They already recreated Program Manager (new start menu) and now they've gone and recreated the graphics experience of Windows 3.1

My prediction, they'll get rid of the task bar in the next release candidate.

; )

Silver badge
Happy

Some info for the downvoters.

You're welcome.

Angel

WHEW! You almost had me there. Of course you weren't serious were you MonkeyBoyFan, you gotta be smarter than that. Perhaps the MS UI designers are frustrated GNOME 3.0 UI devs. It is so obviously a mistake to think that we came all this way, multiple windows, perhaps on multiple screens, just to return to one screen, one task.

Bronze badge
Boffin

Recreated Program Manager? More like took a few steps back from Program Manager. At least Program Manager supported grouping icons into categories. I don't see it happening with Metro.

That said, without all the 3D bling, at least systems will run cooler and be able to put more juice into the programs running. I personally shunned Aero and still use Classic in the face of 7, because it frees up GPU cycles which I can then put towards getting more FPS out of the running game. Plus, I'm using 64-bit Windows. There's a nasty exploit that targets Aero on x64 platforms that MS wasn't arsed to fix.

Silver badge

"the vast majority of windows users are not going to be using their fingers any time soon"

Having seen this, I can tell you which finger *I'll* be using...

Silver badge
Happy

@Tom Maddox Re: Metro was designed by experts

Indeed. The nickname was a giveaway.

fixed it for you : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Bronze badge
Devil

Yeppers. That's why sarcasm works so well in text environments.

Thumb Up

Crap, you had me there. I down voted and then realised I was an idiot. Well played sir, well played.

Anonymous Coward

How many of the downvoters on this comment think that irony is like gold-y or bronze-y?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Corporate suicide?

No, this isn't really aimed at the corporate desktop, Microsoft will bring along a corporate aligned version very soon as is evident by the release candidate of Windows Server 2012 I've just finished installing.... hang on..... oh dear, that can't be right, ummm... nope, they're fucked!

Headmaster

I think you meant: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/sarcasm?q=sarcasm

Irony is great though and it's ironic how often it's misused.

Pint

@ MonkeyBoyFan - Re: Metro was designed by experts

I've left a drink at the bar for you, sir, along with an upvote.

I believe your favourite tipple might be *sake*?

Cheers,

G

Boffin

Marketing.

Anonymous Coward

How to make people use MetroUI

Make classic desktop even crappier.

Clearly, Microsoft NEED you to use MetroUI, as they want to sell you applications...

Who needs gradients.

It nice to have the raised button effect though - MS shouldn't kill that - especially for the top-right of the window.

As long as...

As long as the shutdown button is easy to find I'll be happy.

FAIL

Re: As long as...

Finding the shutdown button took me about 10 minutes in the Win8 Consumer Preview. I'm still not entirely sure I'd found the right one, as it seemed to have been tacked onto some obscure settings pane hidden away in the darker recesses of Metro.

Happy

Re: Shutdown button

...I believe you'll find it on the front of your pooter...

Seriously, why does everyone I know waste time and effort navigating to an off-screen control to do this?

Silver badge

It's on the front of your computer.

Because it saves time and effort the next time you boot Windows, especially if it was expecting to have been shut down correctly in order to finish installing the latest round of updates...

WTF?

Pressing the power button once on modern machines sends an ACPI signal to the OS telling it to shut down gracefully... It doesn't actually remove the power unless you hold it down for 10 seconds or more.

FAIL

Are you complete novice? Hitting the shutdown button on the machine doesn't turn the machine off, it just triggers a normal shutdown as if you'd clicked the shutdown option anyway.

Don't talk while the adults are talking little one, you'll keep embarrassing yourself. You and the idiots who up-voted you.

FAIL

Here's your fail icon back, I think you need it more than I do...

Oh dear, would you like to try writing that again, after you've first learned some manners, and then refreshed your memory of the Windows control panel. Specifically that part of it which allows the user to control what a short-press on the power button translates into... clue, it won't always behave the way you seem to think it will.

Gold badge

Because it saves time and effort the next time you boot Windows, especially if it was expecting to have been shut down correctly in order to finish installing the latest round of updates...

Umm, you are aware that a short press of that button starts a normal shutdown by almost any modern OS unless you manually reconfigure that behaviour? Holding it in longer will indeed simply nuke the power, with all the consequences for any system that doesn't use a journaling file system..

Silver badge

will alt-R, cmd, shutdown -s still work?

Meh

Re: Here's your fail icon back, I think you need it more than I do...

@ChrisC

Power button = ordered shutdown since 1995(ish). Only Vista machines (pre-SP2) put the machine to sleep rather than power down when you hit the tit. MS did this during the early days of Vista when they had inadvisedly told everyone that Vista would boot faster than XP on the same hardware, then found this was actually impossible.

They corrected this fail in Windows 7. tbh, any Reg readers who don't as a matter of course check their power settings (and those of family members, etc) to ensure they work as expected really deserve the extra effort to have to hunt for a UI shutdown option!

Happy

Thanks, Fred - shame you didn't upvote my orig comment! (only kidding, I love to bring on the hate etc...)

Unhappy

@ChrisC

Words fail me...

Silver badge

@REA Harvey - "shutdown -s"

Yes.

<WIndows Key>+R, "shutdown -s" does the job. That saved me some screwing around, thanks.

Silver badge
Windows

@Robert

That would be 'win-R'.

FAIL

Not on my laptop it ain't. Which means I have to walk over to my tv (I use a wireless keyboard/mouse) open the lid, press the power button, close the lid than replace the laptop.

I for one used the sodding on-screen power button.

JDX
Gold badge

I like Aero

cool widgets and so on anyway. Have they removed the additional functionality Aero brought, or only the styling aspects of window themes?

Anonymous Coward

Re: I like Aero

Me too

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums