back to article 'Google released a dairy product'. What, it's cheesy?

This was the week when Apple held its Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco to confirm the many rumours that it had leaked had been circulating about new products and upgrades. The first unsurprise was its new iOS, number 6, which included updates for iSpeak service Siri, Facebook integration and other tweaks. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple have a point

I feel silly talking to end users about Android's versions. I normally end up referring to version numbers and only mention FroYo and Ice Cream Sandwich to other techies. At least they understand that those names aren't an out-of-context indication of mental instability .

1. ArmanX

Re: Apple have a point

I can never stand the fancy names people give products... give me a flat-out version number any day. Hardy? Squeeze? Ice Cream Sandwich? I'll take v8.04 or v4.0, thanks.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Znort666
    Joke

I suppose...

Google could reply with something similar...

They released a bovine by-product at the same time we released Android 4.0

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just to point out

That unlike some companies (Amazon , 1984), if / when Apple pull something from the App Store, they don't remove it from people who already have it installed.

Case in point, I have VLC installed on my iPad, have done for some time, recommended it to a friend, they couldn't download it, as it's no longer in the store, I still have it, and use it.

I'm not saying I agree with their decision to take it down, just saying that those who have it, should still be able to use it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just to point out

Indeed.

Actually Apple has never, ever, enabled their remote kill switch for ANY app. The blacklist at:

https://iphone-services.apple.com/clbl/unauthorizedApps

Still lies empty to this day.

1. PC Paul

Re: Just to point out

Although... I still have apps that I downloaded and in some cases paid for, which are still on the phone but no longer work at all.

Any WIFI scanning software, for instance, is now dead as a doornail.

1. Joseph Lord

Re: Just to point out - @PC Paul

I wouldn't entirely blame Apple for that. It is highly likely (certain?) that any WIFI scanning apps were using undocumented private APIs. It is also likely that if you hadn't upgraded the OS version they would have continued working.

I haven't checked the IOS6 API changes yet so it may improve the situation but Wifi scanning is one of several useful and valid applications that are not possible with at least the IOS 5 API and a few more that are not allowed by the app store.

This is a real disadvantage of the Apple mobile products but I still choose them over Android for a selection of reasons including to target as a development platform and a lack of trust in Google (in privacy terms). I'm looking forward to checking the improved privacy controls that have been announced in IOS6.

2. Jedit Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Just to point out ...your blatant false comparison

When Amazon pulled 1984 from people's Kindles, it was because the seller those people had bought it from had no legal right to sell it. That essentially made it confiscation of stolen goods and/or destruction of illegally produced copies of copyrighted material. VLC was never illegally sold on the App Store, Apple just decided they didn't want people to be able to buy it any more - probably because they released their own app that does the same thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Just to point out ...your blatant false comparison

No Jedit, they pulled it because there's legal proceedings against the app from another company who claims to hold patents that it infringes. It's been in court for a few months. Apple could be found jointly liable if they didn't act.

VLC was similar but for copyright issues, one of the developers threatened to sue as he found the license he had contributed code under didn't agree with the app store distribution model. While it never got to court one could say it was being illegally distributed (not sold btw, it was always a free app)

Try to keep up with the news if you're going to comment on them.

6. Alan Denman

Fruit liberation time?

Cheese is real food.

Seems to me that the guinea pigs are to be given autumn falls that may go rotten.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cheese is real food.

Not American cheese, it isn't.

1. Graham Bartlett

Re: Cheese is real food.

There is no such thing as American cheese. There exists something in America which is somewhat similar in appearance to cheese, but is unlike cheese in every way which matters.

Ditto chocolate. Ditto bread.

Decent American beer (i.e. not Miller/Coors/Budweiser) isn't bad though. Sure it's all variations on the theme of pilsner, but it's perfectly drinkable.

7. Spoonsinger

re :- Ditto chocolate,

Actually 'chocolate' in this country ain't that great either. But, I suppose, it at least it has proper sugar in it, rather than HFCS.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like