back to article Scottish council muzzles 9-year-old school dinner photo blogger

A Scottish council has been accused of crushing free speech by banning a nine year old girl from blogging about her school dinners. School Dinner by Glasgow blogger Veg, credit Martha Payne, used with permission Lunch at a primary school in Scotland: The first photo on the NeverSeconds blogpost that prompted a national media …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

A lesson in big business

There's a lesson in business for you Martha. You don't fix the problem, you silence the grass.

Gold badge

Re: A lesson in big business ^H^H^H the Streisand effect

The "lesson" isn't finished yet and it may be Argyle and Bute council who get detention.

What are they going to do if she carries on blogging? They can lean on the school to introduce a school rule banning cameras, presumably with some pathetic child protection rationale, but the picture is out now and if she wants to carry on writing words in her own spare time then I can't see any way they can stop her that isn't a criminal offence.

g e
Silver badge
Go

I for one...

Hope she damn well keeps it up

Silver badge

Re: A lesson in big business

As other's have said, the lesson isn't over yet. She had 2m visitors before the ban. How many hundreds of millions of new visitors will this ban generate. I hadn't head of it before today.

I've posted a comment on her blog suggesting that she gets round the ban by drawing pictures of the food, or by getting a friend who is good at art to do it for her. Other people have suggested the same thing.

Silver badge

Re: A lesson in big business

Here's a lesson on the Internet: Streisand effect. I wonder if A&B council is prepared for the amount of butt-hurt that is going to come their way.

Gold badge
Happy

Re: A lesson in big business ^H^H^H the Streisand effect

Several hours have passed. The BBC are now reporting that the council have backed down and are happy for her to continue taking pictures.

Anonymous Coward

Is it no wonder we're so poor at sticking up for our rights in this country?

It seems that kids are taught to be conformist and not rock the boat when they're young. Not to mention believing in the Easter Bunny and God.

At school I was bawled and shouted at by the head of IT at school (who was going red in the face) for 'ripping pins out of a VGA cable' whilst using it on a machine. He wasn't interested in hearing my excuse that some of the pins were designed to be missing on VGA cables... but on the upside, we had another teacher who was brilliant, got me involved in IT buying decisions and went on to inspire Apple's Jonathan Ive from his time at the same school.

Anonymous Coward

um

Why were you removing the pins from the VGA cable? If he didn't know they weren't needed, you can kind of see his point - kid physically taking apart hardware, not usually a brilliant situation in a school

Silver badge

Re: um

the way I read it, the teacher was accusing the OP of damaging the cable, *because* there were pins missing.

Kids today...

You've not seen a vga cable right?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Kids today...

Ah, my bad, I'm with you now about the cable and missing pins. Not enough coffee today, apparently.

Childcatcher

9 year old?

Very well written.

Did her parents help?

Where can I send the money for this kitchen they, I mean she wants?

Bless th her gree little bas heart.

Anonymous Coward

Re: 9 year old?

Just because you can't write that well even as an adult....

Knob.

Anonymous Coward

I was thinking "bloody hell! her English puts a lot of adults to shame", but that was more of a sad indictment on the literacy of most commentards (elsewhere mostly).

FAIL

AC seems to have assumed the kitchen she was raising money for was for her parents.

I suggest friend AC reads the article, in future - the lassie in question was raising money for a charity called "Mary's Meals"

http://www.marysmeals.org/

Google is your friend. That, and reading the article.

@AC 10:04

The fundrasing half of her efforts is at:

http://www.justgiving.com/neverseconds

I am pleased to see it is now at £13,700

Thumb Up

Re: @AC 10:04

... and is now at aroung £15,500

Childcatcher

"AC seems to have assumed the kitchen she was raising money for was for her parents."

I did assume (to the extent that I gave it any thought at all) it was for a business. Must have missed the final few lines of the article.

How cynical I have become.

So apologies for that, I clearly ought to have written "What clever publicity raising." (I hope all the outraged amongst you donated to the charity).

Still, assuming all of my cynicism was misplaced then at least the school is performing considerably better at English teaching than it is at PR.

Than the council is at PR, that should have been.

Anonymous Coward

I have some compulsory leave coming up.

Anyone want to grab a pitch-fork and/or burning torch for a little march on the council chambers and the vile monsters they contain?

Anonymous Coward

Re: I have some compulsory leave coming up.

Its tempting to join in!

I thought school dinners were bad at my kids school, but that is horrendous!

My kids school actively promote what they serve kids, almost every parents evening or similar has a sample of food available, and to me its always bland canteen food, but then again I have been spoiled by quality food available for lunch in London...

I think a sacking - in the viking sense of the word - is the correct response. Whose doing the driving?

Who's. I know it's who's.

To use the old meanings for the terms:

Sacking (to give the person a sack containing their tools for their trade and sent on their way) is possibly not the right punishment.

Firing (to take said sack of tools and burn them to ash so the person is unable to work at their trade) might be more suitable.

Anonymous Coward

Given the swill that's served at council HQ in Lochgilphead, I expect these school dinners seem quite normal to council staff.

Bronze badge

Public Servants

The clue is in the title. I believe the wee lassie's father still pays their wages.

Don't say goodbye, start drawing the meals instead.

Nev
Bronze badge
FAIL

Utter Disgrace...

.. that a school meal in Scotland should consist of such paltry fare.

Where's the deep-fried Mars bar!?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Utter Disgrace...

Never mind that where's the pizza crunch?

(Pizza dipped in batter then deep fried, makes me ill just thinking about it)

Silver badge

Deep fried mars bars are about as easy to find in Scotland as frogs legs are in Paris. Everyone says they know someone who has seen one, but nobody actually has seen one themselves.

FAIL

Umm. I can name at least two fish and chip shops in the city centre of Edinburgh that sell them. I speak from experience having bought one myself, and inflicted another upon friends.

It was delicious, but one is enough for any lifetime...

The place 2 minutes from my flat in Edinburgh did them (I left there a while ago). They would deep fry pretty much anything. We were tempted to ask them to do hundreds and thousands but never did.

Everything that chippie did was revolting though. Mostly catered for late night drunks.

Silver badge
Go

Being offered on the menu is not that common, but knowing someone who works in a chippy helps. Couple of pro tips: Battered Creme Egg GOOD, Battered Aero EXPLOSIVE.

Anonymous Coward

They do exist....

The chippie close to Glasgow station sold deep fried Mars bars. Yes I saw it, no I didn't buy it.

Anonymous Coward

Being from Scotland and travelling all over the UK, I have to say that the first time I saw a deep fried Marsbar was in Bedfordshire.

Thumb Up

Deep Fried Marrs Barrs are reasonably successful in Australia.....

They are OK if one is:

a) Starving; or

b) In desperate need of a sugar hit.

But aside from that.....

They are all right, if there was absolutely nothing else to eat, and I was really hungy - I'd be OK with knocking down 2 or 3 or 4 of them.....

But I'd much rather have a GOOD (non McDonalds) Hamburger with the lot - meat, cheese, egg, bacon, tomato, lettuce, salt, pepper, sauce, beetroot, Chillie.... ANY DAY!

g e
Silver badge

Alternate headline?

Food-fail school retaliates with spiteful ban against nine year old

In fact I think I'll share it just like that.

Re: Alternate headline?

But it isn't the school, they have been quite supportive. This has come from the local council

g e
Silver badge

Re: Alternate headline?

Edited. I obviously still have issues with an old headmaster ;o)

Bronze badge

Headline?

I was expecting something like:

Girl Geek Dinner young lady

when I heard about this story.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Headline?

"Dinner be blogging any more missy!"

Anonymous Coward

Great example of "The Streisand Effect" whereby many times more people now know about what they have been up to.

Anonymous Coward

Cookbook.

I see that the chef has been reading the "How To Use 100% Carbohydrate Meals To Induce Obesity And Diabetes In Juveniles Cookbook".

Nice.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Cookbook.

You're not taking account of the trans fats in the pizza.

Silver badge

Food terrorism must be prevented at all costs

This is what the new RIPA on drugs act announced yesterday will help to prevent - young would-be terrorists endangering school catering industry and the council officials' jobs. Thankfully, the MI5 will now easily track down every school food terrorist child if they try to circumvent the ban on posting pictures of their food.

Silver badge
FAIL

Nice to see a 9-year old outsmart the council. Instead of just ignoring it, or even supporting it and thereby ensuring not much publicity, it's now a national news story. Way to go dimwits. I'm not surprised that people who can't even produce decent food for school children think the appropriate answer is simply to silence the perp rather than up their own game.

Idiots.

Anonymous Coward

Not just national

WIRED have written an article on it (http://m.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/06/neverseconds-shut-down/), it's made the front page of Reddit...

People are complaining to the council regarding their behaviour:

http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/forms/contact-us

Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Not just national

Ooops, their contact form seems to be as fried as that food.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums