back to article Oracle staffer accused of sex-for-favours in Singapore

Oracle is red-faced in the Asia-Pacific, as one of its staffers has been accused of trading sex for favourable treatment by Singapore’s narcotics agency. The case, reported by Reuters, centres around Ng Boon Gay, former director of the country’s Central Narcotics Bureau, who is facing two charges brought by Singapore’s anti- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. pixl97
    Joke

Cannot avoid the obvious joke.

I knew when I spelled it Oralce, I really just knew the future... Oral'cecilial'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If everyone is in agreement why not.

If the female reps who visit me offered it up on a plate on the condition I spent a bit more money with then, to help their monthly sales figures then why not.

Just wish I had the opportunity for it.

I'm jealous.

1. h4rm0ny

There are many reasons why bribery is bad, and those apply whether the bribe is in cash in your pocket or sexual favours. I doubt you would be overjoyed to find your manager had purchased a system other than the one you recommended because the sales rep slept with them. That's just one example. Or are you in favour of corrupt business practices.

On the other hand, there are many things that it is unethical to want of another as a factor of doing business with them. These can range from turning a blind eye to illegal practices, passing along insider information and yes, sexual favours. If you were a sales rep in Singapore, trying to do your job and the client asked you to go down on him before he agreed to the service contract, would you consider it ethical of them to ask you that. And yes, I'm well aware that I am (from your post) almost certainly addressing a heterosexual male. That's the point - you're being asked to provide sexual favours to a man in exchange for certain decisions with your company. Would you be happy? Or if that's too outlandish a scenario for you (though it's a valid comparison), how about if your female partner were the rep? Or how about if you were the rep and you learned that a rival had got the deal because of sexual favours?

Basically, you have immediately put yourself in the favoured position in this scenario (and declined to imagine any sordid negative things that could well be the case here), and ignored all the reasons why this is bad - from the basic caveats against bribery to the problems of sexual favours being a commodity.

I have a hunch that if someone got ahead of you for sleeping with someone, you'd be one of the first to complain. And I doubt you would be very happy in a world where business partners and colleagues considered it acceptable to trade sex for advantages. Not if you've ever dated a girl with a job, at least. Things like this make work environments a very hostile place for women.

1. Tom 35

You get a bribe because it's a bad deal

My old boss got a free $5000 TV. Company paid $60k for software that almost worked. I spent 6 months fixing it every 3 days until it was scrapped and replaced with something that worked for $40k.

1. zen1

Almost worked?

Wait, do you work for CSC?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@h4rm0ny

Praise be, another self-righteous contender.

1. h4rm0ny
            Happy

Re: @h4rm0ny

Thankfully we have people who aren't self-righteous at all to point it out in others.

2. Patrick R
        Facepalm

wish you had the opportunity for it.

Take your chance. Apply. Get the form. 1st box is for "Last Name". Oops... AC.

3. Alfred

Is it your money?

If it is your money, then essentially what you're talking about is simply paying for sex (or rather, indulging your fantasy that being jacked off by a pair of hired labia is somehow better than just doing it yourself).

If it's not your money, but you have a responsibilty and a duty to spend it in the most effective manner for the benefit of the company/group/whatever, and you then choose to spend it less effectively in order to buy yourself sex, it's a roundabaout way of skimming from the till to pay for hookers.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. jungle_jim
    Joke

Jealousy.

Someone in the anti-corruption agency wasn't getting sucked off then

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Jealousy.

A quick Google for said Cecilia's mugshot says that the jealousy is probably justified. If she did not work for Oralce she could have made a fine living as a model.

2. stanimir

My thoughts exactly: she sucked the wrong cock.

1. jungle_jim

I.e.

Not mine.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It also notes that Oracle does not seem to have performed any work for the narcotics agency during Ng’s tenure as its head."

in which case; it is a case of 2 adults meeting after working hours for their own private business.

5. Shagbag
    Joke

Who said women in IT don't go all the way?

(and that's a joke, for any of you feminazis out there).

1. Alfred

Re: Who said women in IT don't go all the way?

If you have to add "that's a joke" to anything, you shouldn't bother at all.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

She went the extra six inches ...

The post is required, and must contain letters.

6. AOD
    Joke

Is that what it takes to get a discount out of Oracle these days?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

nope, that is what you do to lose any chance of a discount and agree to buy extra licenses that you will never use.

7. Melanie Winiger

Really?

"Ng Boon Gay" - probably not the 3rd one...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

Grow up, Melanie.

1. Dan 10

Sounds like you're _too_ grown up for a site such as this one...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I was too grown up at 16 to laugh at the word Gay.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I went to high school with a fairly attractive girl whose last name was "Gay"... yes, really... We also had a women's clothing store in town called The Gay Shop, no connection with the Gay family. Of course, this was back in the 60's when "gay" wasn't a synonym for sexual preferences.

8. dbcooperdk
    Paris Hilton

Pics or GTFO

Well, what did he risk his position for? :)

1. Anonymous Coward 101

Re: Pics or GTFO

Have you heard of 'Google'? They make a fine 'search engine', which enables people to find information that exists on the internet.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Pics or GTFO

Or just click on the link thoughtfully provided in the article to the piece in the Straits Times, which has a pic.

Rather amusingly, said pic is attributed to "Facebook". Said attribution usually translates as: "Actually owned by an unknown person and posted by them or one of their mates on Facebook, which is where we stole it from."

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"obtaining sexual gratification from a senior sales manager at Oracle"

Is that even possible?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: "obtaining sexual gratification from a senior sales manager at Oracle"

> Is that even possible?

Yes, but if you want a really good one, you'll have to learn a foreign language - German for instance; a lot of really good ones come from over there...

10. Rob
    Go

What's shocking about this story...

... is that you have 'gratification' and 'Oracle' in the same sentence, I'm expecting the Lord of the Underworld to come skating past any minute.

11. Tom 7

I'm having trouble working out

how the narcotics agency was planning on helping google with its business interests.

Anything I can think of makes a blow job look the least of their worries.

12. CheesyTheClown
    Devil

Can't believe no one commented...

that the reason she IS still employed at Oracle is that she's shown she's willing to do whatever it takes to make a sale... good quality for a salesperson... I'd say it's bonus time

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Din't need that

Hands up anyone who took a moment to think of the sales reps they get to meet, then pulled a eww face. o/'

14. Scoobydoobry
    Thumb Up

Raises his hand. OMG ewwww at most of the reps I get to meet, although there is this one rep..........

I think it's about time I reviewed my Oracle licensing. Anotne got her number?

15. Ye Gads
    Thumb Up

Oracle

A company that gives a f**k about getting your business...

Or is that gives one to get your business? I can't decide

16. Scoobydoobry
    Thumb Up

Google is my friend

Just took your advice and used Google to find an image of Cecilia. All I can say is fair play to the guy. Theres a fantastic headshot (bad choice of words I know) to be found.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh, huhhuhuh

Hey Babi... how about doing me some sexual favours! Huh, huhhuhuh... I use mysql, that makes me an Oracle Huh, huhhuhuh!

18. Scoobydoobry
    Joke

Pun alert

What some people will do to get a-"head" in the game......dahhh dum....tishhhhhh

Thank you, i'm here all week. Please tip your waitress.

1. Swoop
      Paris Hilton

Re: Pun alert

Actually, she got the wrong end of the stick (or the right end, depending which way you look at it) when the client said "Let's 'get down' to business."

19. Crisp
    Paris Hilton

Sales Reps usually are hot.

Because sex sells. There's a reason that advertisers drape scantily clad women and men all over their products. Because it works.

20. chris lively
    Happy

I just came from a meeting with an Oracle rep. The presentation was pretty good, although a bit amateurish. So I told them to bring in a partner for another demo so that I can see how we might work together. We will probably do a web cast so that others can get involved...

21. John A Blackley

Sounds like

"Oracle does not seem to have performed any work for the narcotics agency during Ng’s tenure as its head"

That sounds like nookie for nothing to me.

Perhaps they're in love?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Clicking through to the Straits Times

And seeing the picture of the lady in question.

Is that an inset of one of her satisfied contacts in the top right corner of that pic?

23. Bill Neal
    Pint

ten similar charges...

...involving three different women working for IT companies.

Sounds like shopping.

Sounds like someone else gave a better performance.

24. Bucky 2
    Pint

Morally Questionable

Isn't doing business with China already in the realm of morally questionable?

But if they were both consenting, I'm not sure there's a moral issue there.

Of course, I'll grant you that sexual contact between people of different genders has a huge ick factor. A man...and a woman???? Ewwwww!

1. John A Blackley

Re: Morally Questionable

You said "business" and "morally" in the same sentence.

Snert.

2. Local Group
      Facepalm

Isn't doing business with China already in the realm of morally questionable?

No. It's more like putting both oars in the water.

If you're looking for 'the realm of moral acceptability', try looking on one of the outer gassy planets.

25. zen1

Hell finally has frozen over!

Two words I never thought I'd hear used in the same sentence: "Sexy" & "Oracle".

26. JaitcH
    WTF?

The facade of LEE Kwan-Yews perfect Singapore cracks again

Singapore likes to think of itself as the perfect little country that could.

Scrape the thin veneer and it is as 'bent' as HongKong or China.

BICC and six other companies were banned for five years for bribing the deputy of the Public Utilities Board who got 14 years in Changi Jail for his troubles. Singapore is as corrupt as anywhere else in the Far East except they bury their heads in the sand.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like