Feeds

back to article Nokia eyes private equity buyer for bling-phone firm

Private equity firm EQT appears to be back in the running as a potential buyer of Vertu, Nokia's wholly owned maker of bling-phones for the extremely well-heeled. Newsagency Reuters today said sources familiar with the sale negotiations had claimed Nokia wants €200m ($251m/£161m) for Vertu and its currently trying to persuade …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

The high cost

Is apparently due to "previous metals" according to Reuters...

Thumb Up

I've been in one of their shops in HK.

When I asked about why such a shit phone cost so much, I was told about some concierge 24/7 service or other and what its make from.

I then replied "if I had a enough money to buy a £10k phone I be rich enough to employ a personal assistant 24/7 and gold or platinum plate an Iphone or Galaxy S3"

Bronze badge

Flaunting wealth by squandering it?

Maybe it's akin to the (legendary?) custom of some Pacific Island chiefs of destroying valuable pots simply to demonstrate their wealth - carry a terribly overpriced S40 or S60 phone to show that you have so much money you can burn it in public without wincing

Re: Flaunting wealth by squandering it?

Which is not so different from splashing on

- iPhone

- $luxury_car_brand

- $clothes_brand

- $wine_brand

Anonymous Coward

So, after Nokia sells off Vertu...

Will that mean that Microsoft can claim TWO manufacturers of Windows Phone devices?

Re: So, after Nokia sells off Vertu...

Err no, Vertu uses S60 not WP7 as its OS.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Oh dear

Looks like they're running out of things to sell in their fire sale. How the mighty have fallen.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Elop

I wonder if the Nokia board didnt make a mistake when they hired Elop, they should have appointed him to Vertu instead the main company...

The allure of luxury

I lost my wallet last week, a perfectly seviceable Kiki James model KJ039-0085, £49.00. I was about to re order when my attention strayed to the functionally similar Mulberry 8 Card Coin Wallet at £200.00 - four times the price. I'm not a deluxe kind of guy but have to say this eye watering price has bought extended and possibly lasting satisfaction.

Just saying.

Silver badge

Re: The allure of luxury

You could have got it for £96 at ukmulberrybagssale.net. haven't you heard of shopping around?

Anonymous Coward

Re: The allure of luxury

But buying it at the discount price wouldn't have provided the same sort of eye-watering satisfaction, would it?

If they wait a little longer, they can get the rest of Nokia for not much more.

Anonymous Coward

My Advice...

Wait a couple of months, and they will be able to pick them for for a tenner from the Nokia administrators.

This topic is closed for new posts.