back to article Sainsbury's pays £1 entrance, heads into ebook club

British grocery chain Sainsbury's has entered the ebook market by snapping up HMV's stake in Anobii for a nominal £1. The retailing group said that slurping HMV Group's share and investing in the business would mean it ends up with a 64 per cent stake in Anobii, which is styled as a social network for book readers as well as an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Megaphone

Let's hope they do the right thing with ebooks

Free ebook with every hardcopy, or vice-versa.

If average production cost of an ebook is similar to a physical one (as we are often told) but the marginal cost of an ebook approaches zero, then bundle them.

really.......

.....part of its restructuring to focus on its core business of selling music and films in bricks-and-mortar stores.

A core business that will be nonexistent in the next 2-5 years.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: really.......

I really hope not. It's nice to have shops that sell things and aren't Poundstretcher or Lidl or Phones4U (who appear to have the goal of opening an outlet in every single horrific 60's concrete shopping centre in the UK).

Granted HMV are expensive and I don't shop there much but having the option is still a good thing.

Anonymous Coward

Re: really.......

Unfortunately most people do not agree - they may have used HMV for a purchase 'today' (whereas you have to wait until 'next day' for Amazon etc.) but there is a lot of competition from supermarkets etc. and with iTunes etc. you can get the music / media in seconds...

I'm not saying some people do not like a 'CD" as in 'physical' media but I recon more people will be getting iTunes vouchers this Christmas - especially when Apple sort out a subscription music / media store.

Netflix / Lovefilm are already providing DVDs, BluRays and streaming media on subscription.

FAIL

Pity they don't seem to have read this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwcharmananderson/2012/04/25/macmillans-tor-abandons-drm-other-publishers-must-follow/

Anonymous Coward

So basically sell of the bits people may want to buy (or sell them check - or both) and be left with a load of expensive stores stocking physical products that are in a dying market. Nice.

Anonymous Coward

Never even heard of Anobii. Maybe they should get some press coverage?

Crap names R us

Why is it that all these places have such bizarrely awful names? Anyone would think it was still the first dot-com boom.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums