Feeds

back to article 'Unnamed' HP biz unit developing mystery object storage

HP is developing an object storage product, basing it on technology used in its Cloud Object Storage service. Object storage is designed for storing massive amounts of unstructured information in a highly scalable, scale-out infrastructure of linked nodes with a flat object address space instead of in a file:folder system with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Ahh, umm, errmm

Took a few seconds to wrap my head around the concept, coming as I do from the old days of DOS and various flavours of ancient IXes but yeah, it should be damn fast and be able to represent data in any file system structure you choose to map onto it.

Or have I missed it entirely and it was blindingly obvious to everyone apart from me?

Anonymous Coward

Perhaps this is where HP's missing 85,000 chairs have gone.

This almost sounds like the work being done in Fort Collins or Boulder CO. They were hiring storage software developers fairly heavily about two years ago.

Linux

Whoop

Looks like the only remaining staff at HP, the sales force, are going to try to package and sell what was open source name value pair tech that has been around for some time now.

Boffin

> "For particularly sensitive data, you may choose to encrypt data prior to storing as well"

"We know ROT-13 isn't very secure, so we apply it twice".

Anonymous Coward

But how does the user find there data?

I can understand a filing system using "the resulting unique number is used to locate it in an address space, with another algorithm used for specifying which node in the object storage hardware set will store it. " But how does the user retrieve it?

Most of my document names are the Date e.g. 20120611a but are stored: Personal/Letters/Financial/llodys/date

Silver badge

Don't panic

The management will fail to understand it, launch it 2 years late, over-price it, then cancel it and sack everyone a few weeks later. This is HP

This topic is closed for new posts.