Feeds

back to article O2, Be Broadband axe Pirate Bay access

Telefonica, which owns the O2 brand and fixed-line provider Be Broadband, is implementing a High Court order to block conventional web access to file-sharing search engine The Pirate Bay. O2 confirmed to The Register that it will join BSkyB, Virgin Media and Everything Everywhere by cutting off www.thepiratebay.se from its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Megaphone

Please will the ISPs call it censorship

First time poster and long term TalkTalk user - despite their awful faults handling process I've remained loyal due to their attitude towards and willingness to fight against the media industries.

However - I hope that one of the ISP will create an honest page to present users who access these sites. I'd like to see the word "Censored" appeared. "This site has been censored by order of the *courts/UK government on *behalf of/due to legal action by <insert media organisation here>".

*delete as applicable.

Pint

Re: Please will the ISPs call it censorship

+10 for "censorship" substitution. That is what it is, there's no PR reason for ISPs to use a friendly word either - after all Be in this case are making it clear enough that they don't agree with it but must comply.

Next, I'd like to see which ISP has the balls to offer the following optional extras, free or paid doesn't matter:

* Automated alternative DNS setup (eg. OpenDNS, Google)

* VPN service

* Open Wifi access setup (can be confirmed by ISP for plausible deniability)

* Proxy tools

Anonymous Coward

must have done it through their dns as it's working here.

well I guess your average freetard dosent know what a proxy server is , but *may* just be capable of doing a bit of a search and find some discussions pointing out new URLs

Thumb Up

Agreed....

Non-tech savvy people usually learned of torrents and the Pirate Bay from their more tech savvy friends. By this method they will also learn about alternate URLs, Proxys and Tor to bypass this restriction.

Plus TPB has also said it is fully prepared to play "whack-a-mole" with these ISPs.

FAIL

Re: Agreed....

It is obviously a clever scheme to increase the technical knowledge of the average UK internet user, including all the paedophiles who can now almost legitimately ask in forums how to evade a Cleanfeed block without being identifiable as a kiddy fiddler.

They obviously didn't think of the children when they ordered this.

WTF?

Be Broadband

As a Be customer I appreciate that they have to comply with court orders.

Given that Be is regarded as a "techy" ISP, most of their users will either be using another BT search engine or know how to get around the block anyway.

Does anybody even still use TPB anyway ?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Be Broadband

To answer your question,

5.755.128 registered users Last updated 14:30:08.

27.865.633 peers (21.417.497 seeders + 6.448.136 leechers) in 3.771.644 torrents

Facepalm

oh noooooo

now that everyone's cutting off TPB, i can no longer get torrent downloads! it's so unfair.

Oh wait, there's 50000 more where the TBP came from.

Oh wait, is that an open proxy?

oh wait, is that a new URL?

heck, i didn't know there was a piratebay.ru

for every door that closes, 10 new ones open.

What i fail to understand, is the reason for these bans? surely the enforcers must know this solves little to nothing, so why waste so much time and money on it?

Megaphone

Re: oh noooooo

It's the thin end of the wedge. Expect more sites to be censored in the coming months. Soon there will be a white list of 'approved' sites that we will be allowed to surf to and nothing else.

Silver badge

It isn't their money being wasted and they get paid for the time spent. No incentive to be smart about it.

FAIL

What i fail to understand, is the reason for these bans?

Because it gives the copyright mafiaa the impression that they are doing something, i.e. trying to protect their monopoly, it also creates a bogyman for them to blame, i.e. sales are falling due to piracy and not due to the fact that in worsening economic situation, people are less likely to buy formulistic, shit, boring, mass-produced, muzak filled records.

Anonymous Coward

"What i fail to understand, is the reason for these bans? surely the enforcers must know this solves little to nothing, so why waste so much time and money on it?"

I would hazzard a guess it's so they can legitimately say "there you go - done what you wanted". They (whether your'e talking about the courts or the ISPs) know it achieves nothing, but they've ticked the box for (the courts for the film/music industry, the ISPs for the courts) to show they've done what's requested.

Perhaps the film and music industry will be wondering if it was worth all the effort?

Anonymous Coward

.ru? Wouldn't trust it.

Still accessible for me

I am on Be and can still access PB at the moment.

I just checked I am actually using OpenDNS so maybe Be simply modified their DNS rather than using a cleanfeed style solution?

Silver badge

Re: Still accessible for me

Read sentence 3

"We have no option but to comply with this order and will be doing so overnight,” an O2 spokeswoman said today.

Come back tomorrow and report.

Silver badge

I'm confused about the timing though, the blog post on Be saying they were going to comply with the order overnight was dated 6th June, today is 7th June so shouldn't it have happened already?

FAIL

Well today is yesterday's tomorrow & it is still working this morning. Maybe they did just go for DNS poisoning (I use alternative DNS servers), or they failed to successfully implement their block.

Other torrent sites area available

This block achieves nothing, if a person was inclined to torrent and are a bit lacking in skillz but had stumbled across piratebay they will see the blocked page, go to google and find other torrent sites.

If the person is a practiced evil downloader they will already be using multiple sources for getting their content and will not see the piratebay's blocked page.

Silver badge

Usenet

SABnzbd+

Never visited Pirate Bay.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Usenet

I go one step further and have a VPN to my usenet provider. Try blocking that.

Anonymous Coward

VyprVPN for torrenting? don't bother, they keep records, and do send you DMCA notices when they receive them from the people employed by the **AA to log US IP addresses in torrent swarms.

Although from what I've read, DMCA notices of this kind mean diddly squat, even the American torrenters are ignoring them.

But too many DMCA notices whilst using VyprVPN will get your Giganews account cancelled, meannig no usenet no dumptruck no VPNs. Still, there are plenty of VPNs out there that don't keep logs...

There's no need to do the torrent through a VPN or TOR. It is only TPB which is blocked. So once you have downloaded the magnet hash quit the VPN & carry on as normal.

Anonymous Coward

@janimal: they're not torrenting through VPN, they're downloading direct from a news provider. This has the advantage of not requiring the data sharing that torrents do, thus removing the "you shared X" accusations, and the added advantage of faster speeds. Steady 3MB/s, which was near the limit of the connection, is not a problem. That's a TV episode in about 7-8 mins if you were so inclined to undertake such heinous and illegal activities. See how usenet and NZB works for more info on how much better it is.

Anonymous Coward

?

No, not VyprVPN for torrenting. VyperVPN to tunnel to usenet. Torrents are for kids and noobs.

Anonymous Coward

Taking business elsewhere

Presumably those who are taking their business elsewhere will be either

a) individuals with strong anti-censorship ideals who wish to protest at a British ISP complying with a legal judgement

or

b) the anti-copyright sort who are getting out before other forms of access to DRM free downloads is threatened by the ISP and where likely to be using up bandwidth downloading the latest Hollywood stinker.

Re: Taking business elsewhere

I suspect they just want to download more illegal stuff.

You may be overthinking this one.

Silver badge

Some Be Broadband customers hit back by claiming they would take their "business elsewhere".

Ummm...

Dunno quite how to break this to you, but unless you are planning to emigrate, you are going to discover finding a UK ISP that hasn't (or isn't about to) block TPB is a little tricky.

Options are:

1) Emigrate as previously mentioned (not a bad option to be honest!)

2) VPN

3) Use a private tracker that's kept its head down.

4) Wait 5 minutes for a different, unblocked domain/IP to appear. Use it for 6 months whilst the wheels of the court go round and round. Once blocked, wait another 5 minutes. Repeat until Music industry resort to using contract killings on pirates with HM Govt blessing.

Changing from one UK ISP to another will not have the slightest influence on the above, except BT moving at their typical glacial speed is actually a slightly beneficial to the end user just this once!

Paris Hilton

The Pirate Bay should...

...start a UK ISP company! That'd be funny - an ISP told to block its own website!

Paris 'cus she's partial to a Jolly Roger!

Anonymous Coward

Time will tell?

I look forward to seeing what difference, if any, this has on the sales of music and movies in the UK.

Will the blockade work (in the sense of better sales)?

Will it be worth the time & money spent on it by all sides to the UK's economy?

Wile the music industry gets my thumbs-up for offering DRM-free music from a few resellers (OK, ten years later than they should have), will the movie industry change to offer me what I want (play-anywhere file as its not hobbled with DRM)?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Time will tell?

Any increase in sales will be put down to the wonders of blocks and used as evidence to speed up blocking of more sites and loosening the laws around it.

Continued decrease in sales will be put down to not blocking enough and used as evidence to speed up blocking of more sites and loosening the laws around it.

Holmes

Should be easy to check, what was the huge jump in sales when Oink was closed down???

WTF?

If anything, i expect this block will increase use of TPB by effectively advertising its existence...

FYI...

I don't pirate music anymore, now that its available drm-free in a usable format its not worth the hassle... Not that i ever bought or pirated much music, i generally just listen to the radio.

I don't pirate software because i'm a linux user, and everything i use i can get legitimately for free anyway.

I DO pirate tv shows, i also pay to subscribe to a service that lets me watch them on tv, but the paid services offer an inferior product to the pirates... I can download a drm-free copy of a tv show and watch it wherever, whenever and on whatever device i choose. That tends to be on my phone, netbook or tablet, while commuting on a train (where there is often no internet connection). Shows also tend to air in the US sooner than they do here, although that has improved in recent years. I feel no qualms about downloading a superior copy of something i have already paid for.

I've also seen a few movies lately at the cinema and wished i hadn't, with a small handful of exceptions most of the movies released lately have been garbage... Of course the movie industry is too arrogant to realise that a combination of lousy movies, unpleasant (filthy, smelly, noisy) cinemas, onerous drm schemes and the recession are to blame for weaker movie sales... They just try to use pirates as the scapegoats for their own incompetence.

The Pirate Bay has announced that it has over a hundred IP addresses ready and waiting, when one is blocked it will simply release another. Considering that in some countries it will take a separate court order to block each new address I wonder who will give up first.

Anonymous Coward

Right or wrong

Its censorship.

VPNs ahoy!

Silver badge

Re: Right or wrong

Next week's news:

Music business flood all media channels with propaganda. Within 2 months 90% of the population believe VPN is an acronym for "Virulent Pirate Nastiness" and campaign groups spontaneously (with backing from mysterious benefactors) spring up to outlaw such heinous systems.

Next year's news:

VPNs and all encrypted transport systems have been found to be used for 49% piracy and 50% terrorism, and all forms of encryption now carry stiff custodial penalties.

Black Helicopters

Hyperbole

I'm pretty sure the banks and online retailers would fight that, although maybe they will introduce a system of authorised only encryption tunnels anything else gets you 10 years in jail in case you're a kiddy fiddler or piwate.

Bronze badge

Obviously a BBC news broadcast.

Anonymous Coward

Year after that news.

An uncensored data exchange layer has been found beneath the exchange of cute kitten pictures and facebook updates. Courts decide to pull the plug all together on this troubleson new internet thingy.

WTF?

I can't get it to not work

I'm a Be customer, and I can't get the block to work. I can browse the Pirate Bay without any trouble.

What am I doing wrong? I was looking forward to seeing this "blocked" message, so that I could have the pleasure of working round it in less than 30 seconds. But now I'm annoyed that it's not blocked. Can anyone help me to get it properly blocked, please?

Anonymous Coward

Seems to be working here

Working here as of 12:08pm on Thursday - however it could be that my DNS is set to OpenDNS and GoogleDNS rather than O2's own servers so I don't know if that's making a difference.

FAIL

Ah overnight - Tonight!

So it will be blocked tomorrow, I see.

Fail icon for me!

Anonymous Coward

Good

The internet is much safer, that has made all the difference.

Anonymous Coward

Contracts?

Does this mean we can oil out of any contracts with our ISP?

Re: Contracts?

Depends. Did you have any contracts explicitly stating that your ISP would violate High Court orders in order to help you continue to illegally download pirated material?

Anonymous Coward

Not a torrent user...

In fact I'd go as far to say that I'm against what they are used for by the majority. Theft is theft afterall, but this is too much. I am currently an O2 customer and I'll be looking at my contract to see if this action breahes it. This is a step on the slippery slope of state mandated censoring and gives a precedent that could be abused at the expense of net neutraility.

Anon, because fuck the 'establishment' - the entertainment and software industries are fat, lazy, and greedy.

Silver badge

Re: Not a torrent user...

Actually, I think this can work in our favour. Next time the BPI/MPAA/Whatever go to court to demand a site block, the ISPs can turn around and say "look, this doesn't work, here's the proof".

Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a torrent user...

I should think that you contract has a clause that means they can't be blamed if they do something to comply with the law of the land.

Might be covered by "force majeure"

Silver badge

Theft is theft...

and Copyright Infringement is Copyright Infringement.

Please do not get the two confused, no matter what FACT say.

Theft is theft??

Really? I don't recall having seen or heard of anyone being prosecuted for theft for downloading (or uploading). I have one or two attempts at fraud related prosecutions, which failed miserably, but none for theft. Completely agree with the rest of your statement though, other than with a few exceptions within the E&S industries.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.