back to article Facebook open sources production code

Facebook has released Folly, a collection of what it describes as “reusable C++ library artifacts developed and used at Facebook.” The trove awaits on GitHub and comprises around 50 items. Jordan DeLong, a Facebook software engineer, explained “Our primary aim with this 'foolishness' is to create a solution that allows us to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Let me correct that for you ...

"doing work on behalf of 900 million users every day. "

More like "Selling the eyeballs and desktops of 900 million idiots every day to advertisers/marketers, without giving a rat's ass about the personal privacy of said idiots, in order to make our share holders happy ... bitch."

HTH. HAND.

1. bobdobbs
      Happy

Re: Let me correct that for you ...

they haven't been making many shareholders happy of late...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opera

So what are the chances of Opera eventually being open-sourced, should Facebook buy them?

It doesn't make much sense to me to buy something for millions only to open source it, but who knows what kind of business models these dot-com kids come up with these days.

Perhaps the browser isn't their primary acquisition? if they really want the proxy server and ad server networks, open sourcing at least the rendering engine might be a way of disposing of the 'baggage'?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like