back to article Australia bets on licences for offshore gambling websites

Australian policymakers may have gotten themselves in another technological tangle, this time over which mediums are fit for the purpose of gambling. The source of the brawl is a review of Australia’s Interactive Gambling Act commissioned by the sprawling Ministry of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
GBE

> Australian policymakers may have gotten themselves in another

> technological tangle, this time over which mediums are fit for

> thepurpose of gambling.

I was always taught that "mediums" refers to a group of more than one person who claim to talk to the dead...

Bronze badge

Other way around, actually. The word "medium" became associated with the conduit (i.e., the medium) "used by the dead" to speak to people.

Anonymous Coward

Attn The Hon. S. Conroy et al

"Of possible greater interest to the rest of the world is a suggestion Australia join the USA and other nations asking financial institutions to block transactions with unlicensed gambling services."

I suggest you look at PayPal. It seems to have a very slippery definition as to whether it's a financial institution or not.

Stop

Australia can control off-shore gambling if it wants.

Australia’s Interactive Gambling Act is a joke. If the Australian Government wants to control off-shore gambling all they have to do is to tell Australian banks to stop transactions to overseas gaming sites on all credit cards that they've issued.

Don't say it can't be done. MasterCard and Visa cut off the funding to WikiLeaks when it suited them.

Unlike the WikiLeaks funds cutoff, such an action might actually benefit problem and addicted gamblers.

Silver badge

Re: Australia can control off-shore gambling if it wants.

They certainly could do that. However the level of nanny-state behaviour it entails is, frankly, just embarrassing. If people want to piss their money away gambling then they will. I feel this is more about lost taxes than moral high ground.

This post has been deleted by its author

@Mark 65 -- Re: Australia can control off-shore gambling if it wants.

You're precisely right of course. The nanny state is rampantly out of control.

I've vices but thankfully problem gambling has never been one of them.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: @Mark 65 -- Australia can control off-shore gambling if it wants.

Don't fear, they'll get around to you eventually.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums