Feeds

back to article Steve Jobs was top of the flops, says Apple's Tim Cook

Amid warm fuzzy words about how popular and loved Apple is, how popular and loved Siri is, and the wonders of the iPad, Apple CEO Tim Cook, speaking at the D10 tech conference, dropped a few hints about the future of his Foxconn-rebranding company. He told Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher that he was "amazed" by what Apple's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Situation normal

Foxconn rebranding . check

Fruity tech. check

Reality distortion field. check.

Nothing to see here, move along now.

Mushroom

Re: Situation normal

Yes, this Birdy News Site manages to sagnate a bit more every day.

How long before Anna gets her pink slip? Any chance of you "flopping", Anna, and doing an about turn on writing the same stuff every day. Stale. Stale. Stale.

Dont need to admit you are wrong, just do it differently and we will take that as an admission from you.

I am sure you can admit you are wrong.. havent seen it, but what do we know?

I have to say I honestly don't get this "Foxconn rebranding" meme. If that's true, then pretty much every hardware company is an "[insert factory name here] rebranding" company, and should be referred to as such, unless they have their own factories, which they don't these days. If it's because of that story where Foxconn offered to design stuff for other companies, have you considered that Apple presumably hasn't actually taken them up on that offer? Apple seems to have their own engineers and designers--what, exactly, do you suppose they're doing? (Other than losing things in bars.) I mean, surely Sir Jony at least does something aside from galavanting around getting knighted and whatnot.

Silver badge
Megaphone

Oh, and one more thing!

Anonymous Coward

Have you heard the one about Jonathan Ives being offered a job at Facebook?

Stop

It's worse than normal. It's boring. El reg used to have a cadre of writers who could inject wit into tech stories. Now all we get is cheap language designed to inflame trolls.

<sigh> sic transit ..

Bronze badge

Yep Reg is coasting on cynicism. Previously I've called the writers here a bunch of mini-Hislops. These days that would be praise. If only they were so witty.

Anonymous Coward

I don't get this Foxconn rebranding jibe. Sure, if the Foxconn designed a product, built it, did all the software and Apple just stuck their badge on it.

But Apple designed it, do the software and they prototype it in house too using their machinery. Once perfected they get a 3rd party to make it, which just happens to be Foxconn usually.

Anonymous Coward

Indeed. Watch the documentary film Objectified and you see all the facilities they have in house. They can produce prototypes of casing and all manner of things.

Silver badge
Joke

Visionary

Apple needs a true visionary at the top now that Jobs has gone. A man with ideas of how we will all be living our daily lives in the future.

They should phone Sir Clive Sinclair pronto.

Silver badge

Re: Visionary

Well that would certainly reduce the price of the next iphone!

Not sure it would do it any other favours though.

Anonymous Coward

Two words:

Lord Sugar

Silver badge
Devil

A Macbook with a 3 inch disc drive bolted on the side would hold some appeal, certainly.

Anonymous Coward

Same ole Apple bullshite. Check

Stop wasting my time with the lies and spin!

Its shite. It will always be shite, and cooks a knob head.

Silver badge
Happy

A visionary required, you say?

Word is there's a guy from Seattle with stunning industry insights who'll soon be available.

Trollface

Trolly troll troll

I'm sure you can find (nay even write!) some plug in for your favourite open source browser to block all articles or mentions of Apple. You'll be much happier, and the less rabid amongst us here will be too. That being said I do find a good troll entertaining - but please do try harder next time eh?

Anonymous Coward

Remind me not to eat anything *your* cook prepares... :-O

"It will always be shite, and cooks a knob head."

Why does it cook a knob head (ouch!), and how did you find out about this disturbing-sounding activity?

Is this something to do with cannibalism? Or is it merely some obscure new insult (a la saying that something does unnatural things with quadrupeds to mean that it's lousy or one hates it)?

Or is it just that you inadvertantly showed us why grammar and capitalisation are important?

Anonymous Coward

So long as they have...

... Jonathan Ive continuing his role, Apple are in good hands, at least design wise.

It would be nice to see them open up a little more - less of the walled garden approach - but hey, only an idiot would deny they make some incredible products.

Unfortunately, there's a whole lot of idiots viewing El Reg.

Anonymous Coward

Re: So long as they have...

Not to mention the idiots who write comments about how incredible Apple's products are

Anonymous Coward

Re: So long as they have...

No different from the idiots that insist Google are open, or the fandoids that argue over whether Samsung or HTC is the bestest, or the morons that blather on about rectangles being patented. A fanboi is a fanboi is a fanboi, and recently the self righteous Googloids and freetards are more insufferable than the Apple ones.

Silver badge
Coat

Foxconn-rebranding company.

The Register is my favourite Out-Law.com re-branding company.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Foxconn-rebranding company.

Over the last few months I seen many articles here that are 3 day old Metro drivel as well.

For those who don't have to spend hours a day commuting to/from London (and elsewhere in the UK) the Metro is a free morning "News" paper (light on news) available at most railway stations.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Out-Law.com-rebranding company.

They don't just re-brand someone else's product, they enhance it by inserting spelling and grammatical errors...

Silver badge

Metro

It's London's favourite kind of litter. Available from your nearest railway station floor or train carriage seat.

Trollface

It's not "flipping", it's the "rapid shifting paradigm" of management

I can just see the books and articles and podcasts about it now. "All the best work happens in the initial ten percent of time spent on something! After that you've just hit the point of diminishing returns! So you should totally change your mind about everything, every day, because starting fresh every twelve hours or so means you'll get *crazy* amounts of innovating done!"

FAIL

"We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia"

Flipping to the polar opposite, and no-one having a clue that you've flipped, is NOT admitting you were wrong!

Admitting you were wrong and that things have changed is a noble and much-underrated quality, especially in a leader. It's clearly one Jobs didn't have.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia"

I had assumed that when spellchecking the speech, Cook's finger had slipped on his iThingy and picked "courage" rather than "capriciousness"

Coat

D10 Tech conference...

So, when Apple representatives are talking, would it be the "iD10-T" conference?

Alert

Foxconn-rebranding company.

Dear Anna

Please enlighten us all as to why you use the term Foxconn-rebranding company?

Who designs Apple products, hum the bloke who just got knighted.

Foxconn make the things, a Chinese company, and they are not alone, lots of other stuff get made in the ROC.

So what is your point?

Aimee

FAIL

Wow

Down votes for asking questions.

Rofl

Anonymous Coward

You're from USA, yes?

Anonymous Coward

My guess is this is why. It seems to be working. <chuckle>

No not from USA, why do you assume that?

Silver badge
Gimp

Turd-polishing comapany is already taken by Microsoft.

Re: Wow

"Down votes for asking questions."

Probably because the answer is obvious - that El Reg has clearly decided that article 4 of its house rules (4. No trolling - it's OK to be provocative, but trolling is another matter.) don't apply to article authors, or that El Reg determines "Foxconn Rebrander" to be provocative rather than trolling.

Whatever, it has become boring and trite.

Happy

Re: Wow

BCC: Prof Freud

Hi Prof

Hope there is enough bitching here for your survey, I love lab rats!!!

See you Saturday at the barbecue.

LoL (a la Cameron/Brooks)

Aimee

Anonymous Coward

@Aimee: British and US (non existent) sarcasm and satire are very different. There's also no such thing as Chocolate Factory, so I don;t know why such a fuss about Foxconn Rebrander.

Anonymous Coward

There is no such thing as a "Foxconn rebranding company"

Foxconn snaps parts together, cheaply. They don't build anything without explicit instructions, so there is no Foxconn product to rebrand. Apple does all of their own design, they even design their own chips for the iPad and phone. All of their software is all Apple. You can dislike Apple's tech if you like, but it is absurd to write that they are not clearly the most unique PC and device designer in an industry dominated by Wintel knock offs.

Anonymous Coward

Re: There is no such thing as a "Foxconn rebranding company"

"Apple does all of their own design, they even design their own chips for the iPad and phone. ". Renumbering other people's products as your own is not designing chips.

Well, Foxconn themselves claim it ( see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/23/foxconn_international_phone_division/ ).

Whether it's a tasty meme or not is a matter of preference, but in any case don't take it too personally.

How many "US Brand" products are made in China ? We happen to know who the manufacturers are for Apple but it'd be interesting to call say Bose, Levis, Garmin et. al. rebranding companies.

I guess this article was either deliberately provocative or written by a moron (not that there's anything wrong with morons, just that journalism perhaps isn't the ideal career for them).

They do motherboards. Just stay away from them.

Linux

"All of their software is all Apple."

*cough* BSD *cough*

Silver badge
FAIL

@Anon 17:43

Sorry moron, Apple DOES design their own chips. The A4, A5, A5X, etc. were designed by Apple, they are not "renumbered other people's products". Yes, they use an ARM core licensed from ARM, similar to how NVidia, Samsung and the many other ARM licensees start with the core and then do their own design with it. The only Android vendor not using off the shelf CPUs is Samsung. And before you say it, yes Samsung does fab Apple's chips, but no, they had nothing to do with the design. Just like how TSMC fabs Nvidia GPUs but had nothing to do with the design.

Probably no coincidence that the two companies who do much more of their own design than the rest of the herd, Apple and Samsung, are also far and away the two most successful at selling both phones and tablets.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @Anon 17:43

> Apple DOES design their own chips

If by design you mean select what cores to put in the SoC package then, yes.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Siri - popular?

I don't know anyone with a 4S who uses it, 'cos it doesn't work very well. But then we don't live in the US, maybe that's it?

Stop

Re: Siri - popular?

Nod - only time I have seen Siri in action recently is by a nerdy type prompting her for some odd insanity. ANYONE differ??

Megaphone

Why do people care so much about the Foxconn rebranding thing?

It's supposed to be cute. Intel is called chipzilla. Scientists are called boffins. The Register does this all the time with various popular companies and concepts. Hell, El Reg coined the term Bulgarian Air Bags, which can easily be considered offensive. Yet for some reason people are only getting up in arms over Apple.

Let it GO people.

Trollface

Re: Why do people care so much about the Foxconn rebranding thing?

"Yet for some reason people are only getting up in arms over Apple."

Not people, fanbois.

"Let it GO people."

A worthwhile plea, but one I'm guessing will fall on deaf ears.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.