back to article EU vows to make asylum-seeker database 'more efficient'

The European Commission has pledged to improve the efficiency of the fingerprint database EURODAC, which stores prints from the hundreds of thousands of people seeking asylum in the EU every year. The centralised fingerprint hoard is one of the EU's flagship biometric IT projects - used by national asylum systems to identify …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG
    Mushroom

Then

If you want it to be efficient DON'T give it to any Government department or EU institution to oversee.

Letting Morons manage, overseen by idiots, will only lead to waste and disaster!

2. WonkoTheSane
    Trollface

EU vows to make asylum-seeker database 'more efficient'

By leaving it on the bus?

1. kain preacher

Re: EU vows to make asylum-seeker database 'more efficient'

No by emailing it to any western government that wants it. Of course that email will be infected with a virus that will be blamed on China.

3. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

I've heard the Daily Mail referred to as many things before but calling it an asylum-seeker database is being a bit loose with the terminology if you ask me!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Gives police get powers to use it in 'serious crime' investigations..."

That's all well and good, but what are the police going to do for 'hilarious crime' investigations?

5. Intractable Potsherd
    Facepalm

Well, who could have seen that coming?

" ... national police should be allowed to make checks against the database, ... . National police forces will be able to run checks on the database when investigating serious crime or terrorism ... " Nothing like a little function-creep, which so many of the supporters of ID cards claim would never happen! My major question is, when does a crime go from being "not serious" to "serious"? Who decides - oh yes, that would be the police, wouldn't it?

In the UK at least, this make asylum seekers a group that can be treated differently from the rest of us based solely on their nationality. Don't we have laws against that type of discrimination?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At the moment...

Assange is the only one on the list.

This topic is closed for new posts.