Feeds

back to article Fedora aims cloudwards with Beefy Miracle release

As promised by the new Fedora boss Robyn Bergeron, version 17 of the Fedora Linux build aka "Beefy Miracle" is looking towards the cloud, with an update to OpenStack and new virtualization tools, as well as adding a spiffy new Gnome 3.4 interface. OpenStack gets an upgrade to the "Essex" build, including the most recent versions …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Flame

I just managed to install F16, WTF!!

Trollface

Fedora is all very nice and all...

..but i can't believe you haven't ran a story on the release of Mint 13 yet.

The complete ditching of Unity, which even though it was only half implemented in Mint 12(to reduce UI switch-shock) in favour of a more classic interface is a very welcome shift away from Canonicals pursuit down the crazy-path of fondleslab UI's.

Its going down a storm already, excellent release.

Trollface

Re: Fedora is all very nice and all...

I think the amount of attention Fedora gets here has more to do with the Red Hat being used in business than the popularity of Fedora itself. Ubuntu will obviously get mentions here because it has been very popular for a relatively long time.

Mint may be doing well at the moment, but that may still prove be a blip, however good it is. When the dust settles and Unity has matured (or when folk have gotten used to the different way of working) it may still turn out that Ubuntu is on top. If, over the next couple of years, Mint can replicate the success that Ubuntu enjoyed over the last few years, then I would expect to see reviews and announcements here and on other sites.

Personally, I like Unity but I've just gone back to KDE/Kubuntu, although that is more to do with the fact I feel KDE 4.x has matured than a dislike of Unity or Gnome shell.

Silver badge
Flame

The nice thing about Linux is that if you don't like a UI, you can choose another one. It's easier with some distros than others, but there again one has a lot of choice of distro.

Think I'll be checking out Mint shortly. Also on my list are Trinity (UI derived from KDE3) and Cinnamon (classic Gnome UI implemented with Gnome 3 libraries). The reactionary distro is Scientific Linux (or Centos or RHEL6) which still use Gnome 2 and promise several more years support.

Still think that whoever inflicted the Gnome 3 "everything is a tablet" interface on us ought to face a long time in purgatory. About as much time as he or they wasted of other people's lives, preferably forced to work 24/7 with a truly diabilical ever-shifting omni-awful UI that looks a bit like Metro, but works less well.

Gold badge

Cinnamon

Me gusta.

Gold badge

Also: Cinnamon package is under review for inclusion into FC17. Check bugzilla.

Paris Hilton

Beefy Miracle

There's got to be a rude joke in there somewhere. Paris, just because.

This topic is closed for new posts.