back to article Official: Apple, IBM are world's most valuable brands

Technology companies dominate a listing of the hottest worldwide brands with Apple and IBM taking the top slots, though how much of a benefit this is for resellers might be open to question. Millward Brown's BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands 2012 survey saw four tech and three comms providers in the top 10. Apple was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Microsoft is the McDonalds of the tech world

McD is the #1 non-tech spot. Maybe check the witticisms make sense in future?

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Re: Microsoft is the McDonalds of the tech world

McDonald's makes the cheap crap that is served to billions and is despised by anyone with taste.

It's a very apt comparison and one that many of us have been making for decades already.

Although I find it hilarious that IBM is considered a valuable brand.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Strangely, while many people abhor the produce of the golden arches, it can unarguably be said to be of higher quality than almost all other types of fast food.

Thinking about the kinds of burgers you get from independent take-aways; food from greasy spoons, pizza houses, chip shops et cetera makes me feel nauseous.

At least McD's is not swimming in grease and prepared by a smelly foreigner in a filthy kitchen.

1. JEDIDIAH
          Childcatcher

> it can unarguably be said to be of higher quality than almost all other types of fast food.

You are simply on crack.

McD's is no less greasy or any less likely to be staffed by illegals.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

boringly...

...although I'm a veggie and have never eaten a McD I find it relatively easy to defend them.

If you've got wedges of cash you can eat at some fancy restaurant. If you've got less then McD provides an opportunity to eat out in a place with good hygiene and fresh cooking via fast turnover of stock. I also understand they have fairly, err, efficient, use of resources. Fair enough. I'm with the Chinese on this: you kill it, you eat it all.

As for using the Linux icon, since that's also about efficient use of resources, I'd have expected a different opinion.

Anonymous because I don't want to publicly own up to being a veggie.

1. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

Efficiency

If you want efficient, there are better and cheaper fast food options.

Or you could skip the restaurant markup entirely. I bet that never occured to you.

Why pay for an absurd markup for something I can do better myself?

2. JeffyPooh
    Pint

'Toyoto' brand valued more than 'Mercedes Benz' ???

The brand name of the world's leading maker of boring and tedius transportation appliances (sitting in warm porridge)is more valuable than Mercedes Benz 3-pointed star? Fail. Complete and utter fail.

A few years ago, a (better) analysis pegged the 3-pointed star as the world's most valuable branding exerecise. One must allow the rise of Apple et al.

1. Armando 123

Re: 'Toyoto' brand valued more than 'Mercedes Benz' ???

But the world *wants* boring, tedious, overrated transportation units, apparently. And value is driven as much by consumer demand as anything else.

1. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

Mercedes is overpriced proprietary nonsense much like Apple.

Whereas Toyota is basic, reliable, cost effective and really does benefit from being boring.

Not everyone buys stuff to impress the neighbors.

1. Armando 123

Spoken like someone who's never driven a Mercedes ... or had his Toyota recalled for brake issues.

Just sayin'.

Seriously, we're in the market for a new car and someone suggested a certified pre-owned BMW. I can honestly say a one-year-old CPO 328i that I drove, at $30,000, is a better car than any other new $30,000 car I've ever driven.

1. JEDIDIAH
            Linux

> Spoken like someone who's never driven a Mercedes

The need to buy things (or pretend to buy things) in order to please others is not a universal affliction.

3. Armando 123

Huh

"So, while telecoms and tech dominate the top 10, there are arguably only two companies in that cosy group that could be classed as good friends to the channel."

Really? I'd say that estimate is one pair too high.

4. Local Group
    Trollface

"Princes come. Princes go."

"An hour of pomp and show."

(For facebook: "Take my hand I'm a stranger in paradise")

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More valuable than toyota?

Surely the following brands are more valuable than Toyota :-

Bentley,

Range Rover,

Aston Martin

Ferrari

Lamborghini

to name but a few.

Who else gets you to pay so much much for a chunk of metal. Don't see Acer / Asus falling over itself to release a Prius laptop.....

1. Local Group
      Stop

Re: BUGATTI

a brand more valuable than any brands on your list

1. Local Group
        Happy

AC - I hope you enjoy this snippet

'and Bugatti (the owner) even refused to sell one to King Zog of Albania, claiming that "the man's table manners are beyond belief!"' (Wikipedia)

Now that's a brand!

2. mark 63 Silver badge

Re: More valuable than toyota?

"Surely the following brands are more valuable than Toyota :-"

Are you confusing "Brand value " with 'company value' , or 'product unit value' ?

6. vang0gh

"Surely the following brands are more valuable than Toyota :-

Bentley,

Range Rover,

Aston Martin

Ferrari

Lamborghini"

Problem there is that even if everyone wants one, the market of people who can actually afford to buy one is much smaller than the market size of people that can afford a Toyota.

7. Rolf Howarth

Brand not product

Remember they're talking about the value of the BRAND, not the quality or price of the product or the company. In other words, to what extent will people base their next purchase decision on the name of the label rather than on the product itself.

You can read that two ways. You could argue that means that there are a whole load of stupid fanbois who will buy whatever rubbish Apple produces at whatever price, just because it says Apple and they were fooled by the marketing. Alternatively, that there are a lot of extremely happy customers who were so satisfied with their previous product they're sure they'll buy Apple again next time. Either way, it's an enviable position to be in.

1. JEDIDIAH

Re: Brand not product

As an overpriced but still accessible consumer product, Apple is in a very good position to exploit hype. Other similarly over hyped brands aren't. Some out of work Spaniard can manage to buy and hold onto an iPhone. You can't say the same for a Ferrari. No matter how much "love" they get, their revenue is capped by the population size of suitably wealthy customers.

The same goes for Mercedes or BMW but to a lesser to degree. Apple computing products similarly fall into that category.

That's why the iThing part of Apple's business does so well while their original core business still continues to lag behind the rest of the industry.

Plus phones and media players are much closer to commodity items.

8. The FunkeyGibbon
    Paris Hilton

Brand is such a fickle thing...

...ask Paris, she knows all about taking a famous brand and then dragging it through the dirt. :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like