back to article News leech's fresh cash deal with rags 'reasonable' – tribunal

The fees that businesses will have to pay news aggregators of newspapers' online content for their services have been set after a Copyright Tribunal determined the terms were "reasonable". The Tribunal accepted licensing terms agreed upon by news monitoring service Meltwater and the Newspaper Licensing Agency (NLA). Under the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

So how long...

...until they decide that search engine scraping of online news papers is also a breach of copyright.

I can;t understand why papers want to charge aggregators (and even end users of those services) especially as they provide links to the paper's web site - surely this is free promotion of their news paper.

I've probably totally misinterpretted this, but it sounds mad, and if it means newsnow.co.uk has to close I won't be happy.

Devil

Re: So how long...

NewsNow isn’t closing, but it already excludes articles that the NLA claims rights in. The Guardian covered this back when the NLA first started their shake-down campaign on the online media monitoring industry:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2009/dec/15/digital-media-aggregators-newsnow-pulls-links

I absolutely agree that it’s insane for the NLA to do this; companies like NewsNow push readers towards newspaper websites, thus helping their businesses. Restricting the number of would-be readers who receive links to newspaper articles is just crazy.

I also think it’s important to focus on one of the particularly scary parts of the NLA’s position: that reading any online newspaper article while at work requires an NLA licence (or an equivalent licence from the publisher). That is, if you're at work right now, and you go to that Guardian URL, *you owe them money*. I can’t see how anyone could reasonably defend that.

Re: So how long...

If I believed in conspiracy theory and shills I'd wonder just hw much big advertising is paying, whenever copyright and creators rights are mentioned, people to post about what a wonderful favour big advertising is doing creators by ripping off their content for free...

Anonymous Coward

They want to control content.

You will be on their site seeing their adds if you go direct.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums