back to article New UK MVNO offers white list calling for kiddies' mobes

The UK has a new virtual operator, one specifically targeting parents who believe their children need a mobile phone before they're old enough to cope with the pressure of having one. For three quid a month (plus call/text charges), Bemilo lets parents vet potential contacts, read every SMS and lock down the phone at night to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If mobile networks can do this then where is the need for the interception of traffic, filtering and - in Vodafone's and 3's case - the sharing of URLs visited with companies located abroad? It would appear that the filtering that this is supposed to support is not necessary.

Surely all that need be done is limit the sale of SIMs and other internet enabled devices to adults and let them decide what controls if any are required? If no such controls are available on the device level then maybe - just maybe - parents shouldn't be letting their precious little brats run riot with no supervision online with said devices in the first place?

2. The BigYin

Good idea

Get the children used to the concept of total observation, all of the time. It'll make them much more compliant to state spying when they are adults.

All in the name of PROTECTING THE CHILDRENS!

3. Andrew_b65
    FAIL

SIM Swap

This Bemilo 'big brother' proposition is worthless. Any sprog of mine will be smart enough to maintain their privacy by carrying two SIMs, one for dopey Mum & Dad and another for mates & dates.

1. Stu J
      Thumb Up

Re: SIM Swap

Yep, frankly I'd be sorely disappointed in my kids if they didn't think of that.

Then again, I'm sure you could superglue a SIM card into the phone, just to be that bit more bastardly... Your move, son.

1. MrZoolook
        Stop

Most phones nowadays (all that I have used in the past few years anyway) nowadays have a security feature which will lock the phone to the inserted SIM card. Whereby, if the brat/bastard/child/little-darling inserted a new SIM, the phone would require a code to enable the SIM to be used in that phone. Kinda like an inverse SIM code. It locks the phone to 'emergency only' network access if a new SIM is installed.

1. dotdavid
          Facepalm

If the handset is indeed SIM-locked (which I agree is likely) I guess the nippers would instead just buy a £20 basic SIM-free handset from teh internets or Tesco.

No I think this is going to be a poor substitute for educating and *gasp* trusting your kids.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's all very simple if there's such a large market out there (like a number of people (government / lobbiests / blah ) for censored phones and internet, then let the market decide, if nobody goes to the blocking ISP or the blocking Mobile provider then evidently normal people have decided they'd prefer uncluttered cheaper services to protective services.

All for this and if it flops maybe the "protect something or another becouse we have nothing better to do* brigade will stfu.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like