Feeds

back to article Twitter signs up for Do Not Track

Twitter has signed up to the US Federal Trade Commission's Do Not Track (DNT) initiative and now offers its users the chance to avoid having their data shared with third parties. Twitter announced the move with a Tweet which says, in part, "We applaud the FTC's leadership on DNT." A new Twitter page explaining the ramifications …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Let's hope for a snowball effect

I know that this won't stop publicity/tracking completely but it does appear to be a step in the right direction.

Silver badge

Re: Let's hope for a snowball effect

The whole idea of "Do Not Track" is like letting the foxes look after hens after they've promise not to eat them. As Twitter is a login service, it's probably worked out that it has more than enough data willingly provided by users. It wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of users aren't using websites anyway but dedicated apps.

Devil

Re: Let's hope for a snowball effect

Twitter is nothing but cynical with their concern over users' privacy. I was about to install their Android client the other day and was unpleasantly surprised about the permissions it requires to run. To name a few:

. Manage the accounts list

- Act as an account authenticator

- Fine (GPS) location

- Read contact data

- Write contact data

So the providers of a service for exchanging short messages in public want the access to my whole contact list as well as my GPS position. Why sure, where do I sign?

Daniel

Silver badge
Coat

So Twitter is going for...

... NoFollow...?

Doesn't that rather defeat the purpose of it?

This topic is closed for new posts.