Feeds

back to article Wild excitement over terahertz wireless demo

Japanese researchers have demonstrated a 3Gbps transmission on a 542GHz carrier. It’s interesting, even exciting, in its own right: at the very least, it’s certain to be surpassed before such technologies become part of the commercial product landscape. Operating radiocomms in the 300GHz – 3THz band poses a host of challenges, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Why so long?

I worked on THz transmitters 15 years ago. I'm amazed they're not in widespread use yet. These things were also supposed to revolutionise medical imaging (hand held "X-Ray" machines) as well. Now the only current use is allowing airport perv^H^H^H security to see through clothes.

I can only conclude that there's not much demand for GBit wireless or hand held body scanners, but there is a high demand for looking at people naked.

Silver badge
Happy

It’s not the messiah, just a very fast modulation

Genius.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

10m?

In free space..

With a couple of roof top dishes it might be more useful for connecting a couple of buildings on a campus till you get fibre in.

100GHz to 400GHz wireless has been around quite a while. I wonder what exactly is new about this.

A very naughty modulation.

But oh so right.

Anonymous Coward

I have to echo 'El Reg' on the irritation about the use of the word Wi-Fi.

Frequencies this high normally require line of sight, are normally very directional and useless at penetrating through internal stud walls, let alone brick. The cost to get any decent sort of power output is high, the losses (in connections, coax) are massive. So in other words, nothing like Wi-Fi.

I do hate seeing buzz words dropped in just because the author has tried to 'stay in touch' with the tech, without fully understanding it.

This topic is closed for new posts.