Dell has added nine new Xeon E5-powered boxes to its PowerEdge 12G lineup as it chases the booming market for quad-socket machines in Asia. These latest workhorses use Intel's new Xeon E5-2400 processors for two-socket servers and the E5-4600 for four-socket servers, and will add to the five rack, tower, and blade servers and …
Noise levels and cooling
Hopefully Dell has learnt a lesson from their 11G tower servers which caused a lot of customer complaint re. noise levels (something that is probably of little concern for a rack server, but rather important for a tower server). The 11G servers suffered from fans blowing out cold air as the thresholds were set too high. Some Lifecycle Controller firmware updates somewhat improved the situation a bit but the servers are still awfully loud.
And it would be great if they also imrpoved airflow over the expansion card section, which was just painfully poor in the PE T410, T610 and T710.
- Review This is why we CAN have nice things: Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- Hey, YouTube lovers! How about you pay us, we start paying for STUFF? - Google
- MEN: For pity's sake SLEEP with LOTS of WOMEN - and avoid Prostate Cancer
- Vid BONFIRE of the MEGA-BUCKS: $200m+ BURNED in SECONDS in Antares launch blast
- Tim Cook: The classic iPod HAD to DIE, and this is WHY