I looked at SkyDrive back in early 2011 and was impressed by the 25GB of free cloud storage that it offered. Unfortunately, it also suffered from the Microsoft’s traditional ‘designed by committee’ syndrome, and lacked the simplicity of rivals such as Dropbox and, more recently, Apple’s iCloud. Skydrive iOS app screenshot …
Who wrote the software?
When I see a couple of questions that require 'yes/no' answers articulated in the user interface with 'on/off' as the options, I begin to despair.
Were the last twenty years of UI development *completely* wasted?
Horrendous support on iPhone
Try opening a .docx file on your iPhone with SkyDrive and the text ends up all over the place, really is unuseable for editing, even reading is best left for emergencies only as text ends up on top of other pieces of text and these are Microsoft's own files.
As a concept it is great but these things need sorting.
Wow, a 2.33MB Snowboarding video; I bet it's awesome.
It's helped me rediscover SkyDrive...
1. Went to cousin's wedding
2. Took some pictures, wife took Canon EOS and took pictures too.
3. Uploaded all to SkyDrive from PC (the web interface for SkyDrive photo upload is *outstanding* now - hats off to Microsoft, it even pops up a progress window for uploads which you can add to on-the-fly while it's uploading - excellent for large numbers of files, left it working overnight, did the lot)
4. Started messing with pictures on iPad after downloading from SkyDrive using app (PhotoForge, InstaGram, etc...)
5. Uploaded to SkyDrive from photo gallery, sent links direct from SkyDrive app to bride, etc
I _attempted_ to do this using some iTools for Picasa, and was simply stunned by how awkard a) the web interface was and 2) all the tools for iPad / iPhone were.
I'm genuinely impressed, and have started using SkyDrive again as a result. And I'm not usually a Microsoft product recommending kind of guy.
7GB vs 25GB
For existing users of SkyDrive, if you log in to skydrive.live.com at the moment there's a link at the top of the page that will allow you to keep your quota at 25GB.
Re: 7GB vs 25GB
Thanks for that, any tips for best andriod app for sky drive quick check dosnt give an offical app as yet.
Re: 7GB vs 25GB
Yes, that's the main reason I installed SkyDrive next to DropBox on my iPad.
Plus, the photo sharing is dead simple and the slideshow view is quite nice. Might use this to share galleries when Apple pulls the plug on MobileMe.
This is the best I've found, called Skydrive Browser. It's not bad for a 3rd party app. Decent amount of functionality.
I do like my SkyDrive...
I just wish they'd make it easier to map to on my desktop computer...
Re: I do like my SkyDrive...
If you're on Windows or Mac, there's the new client that might help. https://apps.live.com/skydrive
Yup - new app even allows you to map Skydrive as a library in Win 7
- Mounties always get their man: Heartbleed 'hacker', 19, CUFFED
- Batten down the hatches, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS due in TWO DAYS
- Samsung Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner hacked in just 4 DAYS
- Feast your PUNY eyes on highest resolution phone display EVER
- AMD demos 'Berlin' Opteron, world's first heterogeneous system architecture server chip