Feeds

back to article Three kingpin: Mobe termination-charge cuts can't hurt us

Cuts to mobile termination rates (MTRs) are hurting the company that campaigned to get them cut – but not half as much as they are hurting its competitors. Three network's chief financial officer Richard Woodward said today he reckoned he'd be £130m better off if regulator Ofcom hadn't cut the rate. The termination rate is paid …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

"Dogged by a reputation for terrible customer service"

Not going to argue with that. For data have found Three to be pretty good overall but voice coverage / dropped calls are poor and not found their customer service to be on a par with Vodafone (the other network I mainly use).

Meh

Agreed for data they are the better of the offerings. though I have noted that over the past year things of gotten a little unpalatable when all the freebie mobile webbying adding to utilisation of base stations. But compared to others there been alright.

The part that got me was ""turned the corner in terms of perception". "; Why yes they have for me in the past month when on your check allowance page which was before a simple page that gave you the information you wanted. Found itself transformed into a 3 page affair with interjected adverts hosted upon external sites from Three and as such eating into my usage as well as taking the ruddy piss. So yes my personal perception of them has changed for the worse over the past month, soley due to this change.

Beyond that seemed like they were moaning and thought we cared when its usualy us moaning and from experience them not caring so in summary HAHA.

Anonymous Coward

"hurry up and hold the 4G spectrum auction"

Isn't the late timing of the auction due by the TV Analog switchover that is still going on in parts of the UK?

Silver badge

Re: "hurry up and hold the 4G spectrum auction"

No. Obviously they can't start using the bandwidth until analogue TV is switched off but they can at least settle who's getting it so they can start placing orders for the kit.

Anonymous Coward

"turned the corner in terms of perception"

Ooh! Have they changed the India-only CS with long wait times, inaudible reps who don't know what they're talking about anyway and who promise to phone you back but don't and who contradict each other every time you call?

Have they stopped trying to bill over £100 per month extra for data on data-inclusive price plans?

Have they stopped cancelling direct debits without telling the customer and then starting debt recovery proceedings despite you still being in credit?

Have they stopped cutting off customers every couple of weeks for no apparent reason and taking several days each time to reconnect them?

If so I would be interested in using them again, they do have a very good data network. If not, there is no way on earth I would ever consider touching them again. I'll stick with paying more for a poorer network with almost-competent CS, thank you very much.

Silver badge
Meh

Awww, so naive!

> Originally designed as a sweetener to encourage digital networks, it later became a guaranteed money generator for incumbents

The networks are all digital. Telco's just price them differently because they can.

Anonymous Coward

he reckoned he'd be £130m better off if regulator Ofcom hadn't cut the rate

I suspect what he meant was if Ofcom didn't keep finding in our (ex)customers favour and cancelling charges under rules on "aggressive retention". A practice that probably kept 3 afloat for as long as it has been. Still I guess it bought them enough time to actually invest in infrastructure and realise that dodgy handsets were the cause of most problems. Hasn't it?

This topic is closed for new posts.