Feeds

back to article Boffins baking big-data single chip architecture

Some use software – caching, in-memory transactions or BigTable-style algorithms to cluster and control groups of servers. For others, the answer lies in the hardware: packing more cores into chips or making the transistors faster. Both schools are looking for ways to make applications, computers and servers capable of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

– half an atomic layer of titanium – (?)

Can anyone explain what this means? (I thought atomic layers would only exist in integer number thickness.)

Mushroom

Re: – half an atomic layer of titanium – (?)

Simple, you just split the atoms.

What?

Bronze badge
Pint

eerrm ...

maybe it's a state where the atoms constituent parts are restrained from adopting an alternative position / state - they remain locked into half the available conditions and therefore stable ? Dunno to be honest just guessing, which isn't the best scientific stand point I know. (pub science is fun but all too often fundamentally flawed - I remain open to clarification)

Thumb Up

This has 'revolutionary' written all over it.

I wish the team doing the research well, and i enjoy seeing research done by other teams being shared and re-used for the greater good.

Bronze badge
Pint

At least ...

... I've now got a home-build project for the drawer and a half full of HB pencil stubs that I have amassed since about 1968! Now to get me hands on some titanium and sandpaper those pesky atoms down to half thickness - theirs, not mine.

Silver badge
Happy

"Graphene saves the day"

Blimey, again? Is there anything that it can't be applied to? Perhaps a (very) short article on that topic could be posted!

Pint

Re: "Graphene saves the day"

I concur. Anyone got the bucky balls to do a "WTF graphene" article?

Facepalm

And in other news...

A revolutionary way to erase personal (in fact all!) data from device memory has been (re-)discovered. The magnet is simply placed in proximity...

Facepalm

rewards

I really don't want to be cynical about this, but judging by precedent:

- Uni of California get the patent royalty payments

- Uni of Manchester get to remind historians of their important contribution...

Bronze badge

Re: rewards

Quite.

We're not great at converting our massively important research breakthroughs into profits sadly.

Oh well, it'll keep the kebabs cheap.

Anonymous Coward

Looks like they are Spiining aimlessly....

Quote [ The really big challenge comes in mastering spin: // “We need to get control over that process," he said. "We’ve done the best anyone can do, but it’s still not enough for this project."]

Maybe its time for a Master Spin Doctor or 2, Call in Mandy or Tony.

They can fix it in no time.

;P

Meh

a bit more critical presentation would be nice

This comes off as quite the rah rah piece. I hope they do succeed in making a cool new device, but it's worth pointing out that spintronics has been the next big thing for over a decade (I remember reading about how it was going to change the world and kill power consumption back in '99).

I'm not sure I really believe claims of "device readiness in three years" for an entirely novel process, driven primarily by academia. Dissertation completion/funding completion in three years, is a different story.

Boffin

Spintronics

Is that a cousin of Spindizzy ?

This topic is closed for new posts.