Host recommendations.

This topic was created by Ottman001 .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ottman001

Host recommendations.

I have put up with a terrible host service for years because of company politics. My boss is friends with the chap who provides (resells) what little service we get from our host service provider. I won't mention the company that does the actual hosting as they would probably be a lot better if we were actually their customer directly.

Following the latest failure, I think the boss might listen this time round. I need to pick a new host for the MySQL backed, PHP scripted e-commerce web site I run. Can the wise readers of El Reg share their experiences? I would like to know what other people think of the hosting services they have used or are using. No unconditional slagging off please, I'd like to know what was good and what was not and how recent these experiences are.

1. Other parts
      Thumb Up

Re: Host recommendations.

For MySQL backed and PHP scripted e-commerce web site run you need a better and reliable Cloud server provider and for that i recommend you to check these http://www.cloudpeople.com.au. They provide a best service to their clients as i am also using their service and comfortable said that i am happy with what they provide me.

2. Blofeld's Cat
    Happy

Zen

www.zen.co.uk.

We have similar requirements to your own, and use Zen for hosting them. We have been very impressed with their service.

cPanel, Apache, PHP and MySQL are installed on their Linux hosts as standard. They do monthly contracts and are located in the UK.

They have first rate, UK based Technical Support. Calls are taken by the people who have set up and administer their systems, not some "script monkey".

You will NOT be pestered by sales people.

Highly recommended.

3. pctechxp

Zen

Would agree with the above, the broadband and landline is terrific too.

Happy customer for nearly two years.

4. Ottman001

Thank you.

Thank you people. I shall check out Zen. Anyone else with any suggestions?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More hosting suggestions

Check out this forum thread http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2012/03/23/BristolBachelor_Web_hosting - some more ideas for you.

5. jamesdev
    Unhappy

Previously I would have recommended 1&1 but I'm just in the 10th hour of outage. It took quite a few hours before they put up the notice below. In the meantime in two calls to tech support I could get no idea of how long this would go on. Once the notice went up, I re-pointed my domains to static HTML so I could check my Joomla installations for faults. Then after more than 9 hours, I had a reply to one of my emails, saying that my site wasn't working because I hadn't pointed at any content. At that time, there was still no HTTP/FTP/ping response at all.

Thankfully I've just got HTTP access to my static page.

--

Reduced availability of customer websites on the 1&1 network

Due to attempted attacks on several content management systems including WordPress and Joomla, some customers may encounter a reduced availability of the following services:

- Access to customer websites

- FTP access to webspace

- Administration of content management systems such as Wordpress and Joomla

The attackers attempt to infect these servers with malware. We immediately implemented countermeasures and are trying very hard to minimize the effects.

If you use WordPress, Joomla, or another content management software for your homepage, please check if you use the latest version and update it if necessary. Please also ensure that you use a strong password.

(11.04.2013)

1. jamesdev
      Meh

Follow up

Since this incident, I have discovered from other forums that 1&1 only restricted access to IP that we're trying to access the admin interface of Joomla/wordpress sites. My understanding is that, my site was generally accessible but I was getting blocked because I was accessing the admin interface.

So I have to say 1&1 were doing something sensible in that they were trying to stop attacks on CMS admin system. However, in my case I was about to use the site for a training session to teach people how to manage a Joomla site, so access to the admin interface was more important than the site itself. I had no way of knowing this. I still think one 1&1 should have had some notification on their status page to warn about reduced availability of admin access.

I'd be quite interested if others have had similar situations with other providers? Surely this kind of thing must happen quite a lot.

6. James Ronald

Hi,

Can anybody suggests me the fast server in London ?

7. Lionel Baden

My .02

Heartinternet have very nice servers fast and quick, and knowledgeable and quick support staff.

although not the cheapest I would happily recommend or sell you some hosting.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i would suggest http://waxspace.com/shared-web-hosting as i have been using it from the last 4 months and its servers are really fast and its really cheap at $1/mon

but still there are other also like hostripples,etc

while choosing one has to check many things according to our need like disk space, bandwidth, and many other several things so see and decide

This topic is closed for new posts.