Feeds

back to article Microsoft ejects DVD playback from Windows 8

Digital media playback in Windows 8 has fallen casualty to the savage economics of the PC industry and changing tastes in consumer viewing. We knew Windows Media Center would be sold at extra cost in Windows 8, but Microsoft now says you won’t be able to play DVDs on Windows Media Player in Windows 8. If you do want DVD …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Boffin

OH YEAH!

can they also remove the shit from windows 8 too?

Bronze badge
Happy

Re: OH YEAH!

'Cos it wouldn't leave much of an O/S behind would it?!

Silver badge

Can we remove the shit from Gavin Clark? Because what MS are saying is "people rip DVDs and then play the rips".

I can't speak for anyone else but that describes my PC-based DVD experience perfectly.

Happy

removing IE would also help

It is illegal for Microsoft to continue to commingle IE and OS technology. The US Appellate court said so in plain English. Microsoft even appealled that decision (so clearly they know it is illegal) to the US Supreme Court. The Supreme Court said the decision stands.

Dropping a product so few consumers want and few use would also help give consumers the choice of which browser they want on their machines.

And, then Microsoft could be legal again. A prerequisite certainly if Microsoft wants to complain about anything competitors might be doing as far as antitrust is concerned.

Bronze badge

Re: removing IE would also help

how do you intend to download a different browser without using the one they gave you?

Silver badge

Easy! You use a dvd instal...fergit!

Go

By using my old XP Pro SP3 box? Maybe by using my virtual machine running XP Pro SP3? Might even run a LiveCD of Unbuntu. Dunno ... have to think about that I guess.

Go

So hard to get Firefox or whatever your non MS browser is. I mean really ... just hard.

Gold badge

Re: how do you download a different browser

Since "you" in this context is (for 99% of users) the OEM building the machine image, I'd have thought there were any number of solutions to that problem.

"It is illegal for Microsoft to continue to commingle IE and OS technology"

It shouldn't be illegal in the first place. What's next, will it be illegal for car manufacturers to sell cars with built in radio, Sat Nav, i-phone/ipod connectors, etc?

Pint

Shit is for free, so nope, not a chance.

Thumb Down

"rely on the many quality solutions on the market"

Riiiight....so now I have to go out and pay another $50 to get Windvd again just to watch a dvd on my machine if I want? How long till they stop shipping with audio codecs making you have to find something to play mp3s because we all know that internet is killing music. Windows 7 appears to be with me for quite some time.

Silver badge

It wasn't that which was illegal - it was MS lying to the court saying that IE was such an integral part of the OS that no other browser choice was possible after somebody demonstrated you could just delete a couple of dlls. When you are a monopoly supplier you tend to be noticed pulling this sort of thing.

The case started when MSFT blocked O'Reilly's competing web server on NT and claimed it was a fundamental OS design difference that stopped the workstation version handling more than 10 connections - before it was shown to be a single registry switch.

So it's really more like a car maker claiming that their cars can only be used with their brand of MP3 player and having a device that detects using an iPod near the car.

No. They will remove all the good stuff that makes Windows a great desktop OS and turn it into a trashy looking tablet OS that no one wants. Here's a list of removed features: http://xpwasmyidea.blogspot.com/2011/09/features-removed-in-windows-8.html

Silver badge
Windows

Re: "rely on the many quality solutions on the market"

Indeed- it seems that Windows is starting to exhibit all of the traits that were once leveled at Linux- no DVD playback,need to use the command line all of the time (regedit anyone...)- by the MS faithful... What next?

No, in the U.S. anti-trust case it was the fact that M$ started bundling IE for free and illegally used their effective monopoly to eliminate the market that Netscape was selling their Navigator product to.

Wait... your'e happy to pay maybe $250 for a Windows 8 upgrade, even though free and better OS's exist (e..g. Linux). But you're not happy to buy a DVD app?

Anyway why did you write "get WinDVD again"? If you already bought it once just use the old one yoiu already have.

Or better yet install VNC which is, again, both better and free.

Silver badge
Happy

I assume you meant VLC, unless you really do watch DVDs by remote from another machine!

Silver badge

> how do you intend to download a different browser without

> using the one they gave you?

ftp

Note: ftp stands for File Transfer Protocol, just what is needed for transferring files. It can be scripted too.

Silver badge
Coat

You mean like: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, RedHat, SuSe, Debian,...

Bronze badge
Boffin

> do you intend to download a different browser without using the one they gave you?

The old way- using command line FTP. I remember doing that to get Netscape Navigator back in '97. Good times.

Bronze badge
Boffin

Exactly my thoughts too. Just drop in VLC, no big deal.

Or just install FFDShow, though they will need to add DVD/Blu-Ray menu support to it.

I remember when Windows Media Player 7 came out and you need to have PowerDVD or WinDVD installed to have DVD playback. So things have went full circle and Windows Media Player now needs external codecs to play back DVDs and Blu-Rays (and old-skool VideoCDs- remember them?) again.

Bronze badge

Doesn't everyone?

FAIL

Uhh... Kinda stupid isn't ya?

Your brand new laptop with a Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge or AMD APU already has a hardware MPEG-2, H.264 and VC-1 decoder built into the chip and drivers. Your AMD or NVidia chip on your older machines that meet the specs for Windows 8 do too. They don't however have built in support for AC-3. So, Microsoft is simply removing a highly inefficient decoder which requires your CPU to consume an extra 10-35 watts of power during DVD playback favoring hardware decoders which consume milliwatts instead.

So, not only won't you know anything has changed, but you'll consume less power and extend your battery life at the same time.

What was the problem with this again? You had a point I'm sure.

Bought a Win7 machine not that long ago, and it asked me at first boot which browser I wanted to install, and went off and downloaded it for me. i.e. no IE

Bronze badge
Headmaster

"how do you intend to download a different browser without using the one they gave you?"

Easy.

Click on the "Install Web Browser" icon on the desktop (or on Windows 8 I suppose that'd be a tile on the, erm, whatever). InstallShield installer asks you to choose from a detailed list of browsers (complete with glowing descriptions and pretty pictures), fetches your chosen browser using any of several protocols (including ftp and http), then installs it.

There, was that so hard?

Anonymous Coward

Yes but then if the support for playback is already present the removal of media player is not a logical course of action. The question becomes how does the removal of DVD playback software from Windows 8 benefit Microsoft? If I was a maker of such software I'd not be accepting their explanations at face-value and would be watching MS very carefully. Follow the money.

Silver badge
Linux

> So, Microsoft is simply removing

Being unable to play DVDs while the MPEG2 decode support is BUILT INTO THE GPU?

That's pretty counter-intuitive.

What I care about is being able to play my DVDs, home movies, and HD-PVR recordings. Don't care about dodgey marketing rhetoric about "improving efficency". Stuff either works or it doesn't. It either works out of the box or not.

If it's not included, then are you left on your own to sort out things yourself without a proper package manager?

Silver badge

who said licensing was meant to be sensible?

Jop
Facepalm

Another nail in the coffin

Apart from Windows 8 looking totally naff, another reason to stay with Windows 7 or another OS. While many will want bluray players, they still probably have a large collection of dvd's they will want to play. Got a feeling that Windows 8 will be the worst sales performance MS have, even once they force PC manufacturers to put it on new pc's.

Patents and licences go on for way too long.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Another nail in the coffin

Of course! It all makes sense now. Windows 8 is the next version of Vista that will keep Windows 7 selling for the next 10 years (or more).

Oh, those clever marking types at Microsoft.

Trollface

Re: Another nail in the coffin

Nope, the purpose of Windows 8 is to convince you to buy Windows 9

I'm copyrighting the phrase: "Windows 9 - It doesn't suck as much as Windows 8" and planning to retire off the proceeds.

Linux

Linux

My Ubuntu box plays DVDs just fine :P

Anonymous Coward

Re: Linux

Really? Mine doesn't there are still DVDs that randomly won't play and some which have corrupt colours. It drives me up the wall...

Mine can't handle a refresh rate of more than about 10 FPS, so DVDs stutter and flicker.

And that's with a fairly decent spec and recent nvidia graphics card installed, Ubuntu just can't handle anything more complex than running OpenOffice yet.

WTF?

Really??

That's strange because it runs perfectly on my Acer netbook as well as my laptop and desktop, so I don't know what crappy spec machine you must be trying to run it on?!? An Acer netbook is a pretty basic spec...

Silver badge

Something very wrong then.

I use DVDs on all my various Linux boxes without any problems also I can play HD720p on an old Celeron laptop and edit/play mp4 1080/50p videos on an old 2 core AMD using Nvidia/ VDPAU using ~5% CPU.

Sorry I can't really attempt to diagnose what's wrong but definitely something is.

Re: Really??

" I don't know what crappy spec machine you must be trying to run it on?!?"

Dual core CPU @ 2.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, recent nvidia card (1024MB, can't remember the model), Creative 5.1 sound card. All latest drivers.

Video stutters, random coloured pixels flicker across the screen, menus and buttons flicker then disappear leaving artifacts behind.

None of these problems manifest in Windows on the same PC. Just Ubuntu.

Silver badge
Joke

No problem just write your own drivers and hardware accelerators and away you go. That's the good thing about Linux isn't it.

Silver badge

@Oliver Mayes

Almost exact same spec as my box (1GB nVidia GT240) with 7.1 soundstill running 10.10. DVDs play fine.

I suspect PICNIC.

You should get on the forums and resolve the issue - might be the drivers, compositing or just a dodgy config; but this is hardly the place to do support.

Anonymous Coward

I can play SD and DVD content with XBMC on Ubuntu on a Shuttle XS35 (passive cooled Atom dual core with Intel graphics and cost $160).

Have you cleaned the disc and or/is the DVD drive knackered?

DVDs all fine on my (several) Mint setups....

Bronze badge

Hmm, try using the official NVidia drivers. The open source Nouveau drivers often have issues with recent hardware. For full support its better to use an older card (2 or 3 years should do).

Silver badge

I know you are joking but some people may not know that the VDPAU drivers for X give excellent GPU acceleration on modern-ish Nvidia cards

Anonymous Coward

Maybe you are running the Unity 3D interface? My quad-core 3Ghz + GTX460 can't even run glxgears with Unity3D on Ubuntu 12.04 - Turn that s**t off.

That's the point though isn't it? Most people don't want to have to get on a forum in order for their PC to play a DVD.

Thumb Up

How I wish that MS Office could work 100% under wine and without frigging about and without needing to run under VBox. I would happily stay with Ubuntu / Mint for ever and a day.

Anonymous Coward

Ubuntu does not include many codecs by default. A better distribution is Mint 12 or Mandriva that adds the non-proprietory stuff and works superbly.

Anonymous Coward

THe problem exists with some Nvidia drivers - the company does not provide them so someone has to hack and try and emulate, which unfortunately is often not ideal.

Silver badge

"Most people don't want to have to get on a forum in order for their PC to play a DVD."

Most people don't have to !

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.