Feeds

back to article Hands on with the Samsung Galaxy S III

Samsung took to the stage last night to unveil its latest flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S III, before opening the doors for us hacks to give it a go. Samsung claimed the S III is "designed for humans", which is a shame because my dog has been drooling for weeks with excitement. It does tap into both our connections to nature …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Holmes

Pricing?

No word anywhere... Get that right and its game over for the rest. Blow it, and its "as you were lads".

Anonymous Coward

Re: Pricing?

Free from £36 PCM at carphone warehouse on a 24 month contact.

Sim free £499.

Anonymous Coward

now i need

A rucksack to carry my phone in.

Hands up who has the biggest phone?

Re: now i need

Me! Galaxy note

Anonymous Coward

Fantastic phone

I've no doubt they will ship millions of these

Thumb Up

Re: Fantastic phone

They'll be shipping one my way unless something very dramatic happens in the 'droid market ...

Anonymous Coward

Camera

Does it has a dedicated camera button?

Not really that fussed, but would be nice.

Re: Camera

I read elsewhere that simply saying 'cheese' is enough to take a picture.

There is also a burst mode, which takes 24 photos and automatically suggest the best photo out of the bunch.

g e
Silver badge

Your move Apple...?

OK, what's the betting on the next Cupertino move being...

A. Innovate

B. Sue

C. None of the above

Seriously, not trolling.

Re: Your move Apple...?

I'm sure they'll have an original, innovative quad core, slightly curved phone out in September.

Anonymous Coward

Apple's next move -

D. Ignore it and sell a shitload more iPhones

Anonymous Coward

Problem is, they aren't Samsung were outselling them with the S2 and will be outselling them even more with the S3.

Apple aren't a manufacturer and rely heavily on Samsung for displays and such. Whatever Apple do, Samsung and Sony have the ability to do better.

Silver badge

Re: Apple aren't a manufacturer and rely heavily on Samsung

Samsung and others, notably Foxconn. And, while Sony is still struggling in many departments I think you have a point that Apple's "asset-light" strategy carries its own risks. Apple designs, commissions and oversees the production of fantastic hardware and develops great software for it. But it is also dependent upon the market producing sufficient volume of tweaked commodity items (CPU, memory, screens, etc.). While that volume gives it pricing power - it has been able to produce phones for the same cost as other manufacturers but sell them at a higher margin - it can create resentment in the suppliers, though it would false be and disingenuous to think of Apple simply as a premium vendor of other people's kit.

Samsung, while seemingly happy enough for the last few years to make Apple's CPU and memory chips, it has at the same time been beefing up not only its production capacity but also R&D. Apple has so far managed to be there or thereabouts with technology: the GPUs in the I-phones are significantly better than the compettion, leading to smoother transitions, a slicker and "better" user experience. Suddenly Samsung appears with technology that Apple cannot currently match - quad-core CPUs and enormous OLED screens. Seeing as the G series SII actually contains CPUs from Texas Instruments it's reasonable to speculate that all Samsung's capacity has been given over to the new I-phone and more importantly the new Exynos. While Apple has been very good at convincing the market that the high resolution LCD screen is something special, good AMOLED screens are simply jaw-droppers because of the eye's preference for contrast and colour gamut over resolution.

Beyond the hardware I think the UX advances are possibly even more notable. They show the same kind of thoughtfulness and attention to detail that has so long been a hallmark of Apple's products. And being first to market in these litigious times gives it a considerable advantage,

Actually, we don't know how many Samsung has sold. They don't disclose that information, only very occasional hints to guide commentators towards optimistic figures. Amazon is the same with Kindle. Apple discloses sales and channel inventory every quarter. (Samsung are clearly doing pretty well with Galaxy, even if the real numbers are 30% lower.)

Anonymous Coward

So you think the S2 outsold the iPhone? Okay, where's the source?

but what's next ?

This will probably be the latest and greatest when it comes out. For a period (unless there is some unlikely horrendous fault) it will be the one to beat, but then Apple will finally launch the iphone 5 and perhaps there will be a new Sony and Motorola and even Nokia ? Each time the later top of the range device comes out there is a good chance it will be an improvement over the last.

I am wondering where the size will finally stop. I seem to think 5 inch screens were laughed at as ridiculous when the norm was 2.8 to 3.5 inch screens but flagship phones are heading dangerously close to this size now !

Silver badge

Re: but what's next ?

Yeah, there isn't much choice in the Small Phone segment any more. The budget phones are bulky, and the the premium phones have over-size screens. Somewhere, I have a Trace SGH-T519 (I can't remember what it was called in the UK- it was the one which was subject to fake viral videos of it snapping in half) kicking around. It's tiny, but usable even for those with sausage fingers. Sadly, it doesn't work in Europe.

Perhaps wider adoption of 7" tablets ( that live on your car dashboard and do double duty as sat-navs, or your jacket pocket as PMPs) will cause people to ditch the 3.5"+ phones in favour of smaller models again- like the classics from Nokia, Ericsson and Motorola. Phone does the all the fancy radio stuff, other gadgets do the screen and HID as and when required.

I can't be the only one who is wary of going out for a few jars with half a grand of gadget in my pocket.

Trollface

The new...

poor man's iphone.

Re: The new...

surely better than the fashion victims Samsung?

WTF?

I'm not a poor man, neither is my partner. She's got an S3 on order today and wouldn't touch and iPhone with the proverbial bargepole, I own a Galaxy Note and wouldn't touch an iPhone with the proverbial bargepole. I assure you that both of us could purchase any Apple offering on a whim!

g e
Silver badge
Trollface

Android users aren't poor.

They just have smarter financial priorities.

I know you were just trolling so I don't take your comment seriously but if the phone does cost £499 sim-free then it's not for poor men (or women)... which instead means your comment should've been "the new [deleted] iphone."

g e
Silver badge
Trollface

Oh, and while I remember

I can switch from my current Manufacturer (HTC) to the Sammy S3 and still use all my installed stuff from the old phone.

Though I get that some people enjoy lock-in like some people get off on BDSM.

Anonymous Coward

Re: proverbial bargepole,

Note - iPhone is not designed to be used with a stylus. Attempting to use a bargepole will cause some serious repetitive strain injuries, and it's especially not recommended on crowded public transport

Thumb Up

PhilW - where has she ordered from?

Anonymous Coward

In the words of Mr Rotten....

"ever got the feeling you've been cheated?"

Anonymous Coward

@Peter Storm, you made precisely the same comment 2 days ago on the comment board here: http://forums.reghardware.com/forum/1/2012/05/02/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_revealed_to_be_a_phone/

It wasn't funny or accurate then, and its not funny or accurate now.

It seems you are the sort of person we all have to endure from time to time, who repeatedly tells the same jokes or "hilarious" anecdotes over and over again to your work colleagues, when actually everyone you know wishes you would just fuck off.

Sorry for the reality check, but I thought you needed to know.

That'll be the iPhone 3GS & 4.

Anonymous Coward

> Android users aren't poor.

Well not those on Google's payroll, that's for sure.

Silver badge

I'm not sure why this phone should be considered the poor man's anything. It's clearly a flagship product and will command flagship price. Even so I suspect that whatever price it ends up costing it will still offer better value than iPhone simply in terms of the technology your money buys. When you buy an iPhone or an iPad you are paying a premium for the logo, not for what goes into the actual device.

Anonymous Coward

> When you buy an iPhone or an iPad you are paying a premium for the logo,

No, you're paying for a well developed system and decent support, including timely upgrades.

Not something one company patched up using some other's freebie shelf.

Anonymous Coward

A Galaxy Note, wow you really fell for the advertising!

Anonymous Coward

My wife just switched from her iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy SII, and I'm looking to swap mine for the SIII.

To be honest I feel the quality of the software (iTunes, iOS) updates from Apple have been falling in recent times; between the iPhone interface feeling increasingly jagged after recent updates and the failure of all recent iTunes updates to install successfully without intervention, let alone the problems I'm having synching to iTunes (not at all currently), I think Apple is not coping well with the pressure of staying ahead of their rivals (although I'm sure the apple fanbois will insist I'm wrong).

Anonymous Coward

Actually, the poor man should go for the iPhone to save in the long term. Will be interesting to see if the S iii changes this:

"At Priceonomics, we firmly believe that resale value is the best objective indicator of product quality. If you wanted to figure out the best cell phone, you could look at all the reviews, test out all the phones, talk to all the experts, but still your assessment will be subjective. Or you could let the market tell you which phones are the highest quality by seeing which ones best retain their value over time."

http://priceonomics.com/phones/#cell-phone-depreciation

Anonymous Coward

Takes one to know one eh!

Bronze badge

Whose definition of poor, Nu Liebour's or Wallace and Balls'?

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Re: Well developed

Well then, explain to me why some of the apps on my fondleslab has started crashing regularly since the iOS 5 upgrade.

Not that I have anything against the fondleslab, but it gets irritating when IM+ just crashes on me in a middle of a conversation with some online buddies.

This isn't a ploy to get me to buy a new fondleslab, is it? I've decided to stick to my first gen one a little longer given how I have to readjust my finances to some other higher priority stuff that crept out. And it's bad enough that Adobe Photoshop Touch isn't allowed to run on it for whatever stupid excuse Apple and Adobe has.

Thumb Up

Laggggg

A lot of reviews are mentioning input lag compared to IPhone/WP7.

Quad core and lag? Amazing.

Silver badge

Re: Laggggg

And other reviews note that it's the smoothest Android experience out there.

What gives?

Anonymous Coward

Exhibiting lag, and being the smoothest Android experience yet are not mutually exclusive

Anonymous Coward

Which reviews are these? I've read several, not yet read about lag.

Links please.

Anonymous Coward

A lot of MS shills / Apple fanbois are just plain making shit up.

Amazing.

Silver badge

Shiny plastic and chrome accents?

Yuck. What was wrong with what they did with the SII/Nexus?

It's reassuring to hear that it's more solid than that makes it look...

Re: Shiny plastic and chrome accents?

My thoughts exactly. I'd love to own one, but still - 500 notes for a handset whose rear looks like something out of the Argos toy section? Makes me think twice.

Anonymous Coward

What?

Pricier than an Iphone and its not an Iphone?

Anonymous Coward

Re: What?

IPhone 4s is 499 for a 16gb

S3 is 499 for I don't know, but you won't get raped for 200 quid to upgrate the storage to 64gb.

Yes, I did see what you were trying to do there.

S3 is currently 499 for 16G (32 & 64 to follow). Praise be, it has a microSD slot - have much storage would you like in that, sir?

Mine's on pre-order with CPW now. Might not have been quick enough to get the free Tab they were offering (but then - meh), but they're giving a free 32GB mSD card and Zagg screen protector. Roll on the end of May...

Anonymous Coward

Can you run all apps from a microSD card? Oops no you can't.

It's also shit for security since every other app can read the card without permission.

Silver badge

"Can you run all apps from a microSD card? Oops no you can't."

The base unit has 16GB. I'd love to see you fill 16GB with phone apps. Even if you could somehow manage this feat, most apps aside from system utils can be moved to SD

"It's also shit for security since every other app can read the card without permission."

You are lying or grossly misinformed. Apps do not SD card permissions to run from an SD card and most apps don't ask for permission because they don't need it. Apps that do ask for permission generally do need it.

Anonymous Coward

> I'd love to see you fill 16GB with phone

I already have. Seems you're set on 16GB being the new 640KB i.e. "should be enough for everybody"?

> You are lying or grossly misinformed. You are lying or grossly misinformed. Apps do not SD card permissions to run from an SD card and most apps don't ask for permission because they don't need it. Apps that do ask for permission generally do need it.

Learn to fucking read before calling out others. SD storage doesn't enforce the app sandboxing that Android, apps can read other's data on the SD card without any permission.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.