Feeds

back to article Samsung Galaxy S III: A Swiss army knife of wireless tech

Samsung's new flagship smartphone is being admired for its big screen and voice control, which make for easy headlines and pretty photographs, but more interesting are the wireless capabilities of the S III, even if they take a little longer to appreciate. As well as sporting an enormous 4.8" screen which looks so shiny, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

Sounds good but..

This will surely cost an arm and a leg.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "surely cost an arm and a leg"

Is there a joke in there I missed? If not - to quote a previous AC :

"Free from £36 PCM at carphone warehouse on a 24 month contact. Sim free £499."

http://forums.reghardware.com/post/1400924

Same price as a 16GB iPhone 4s.

Anonymous Coward

I agree: £864 definitely qualifies as an arm and a leg. Possibly a leg and a half.

My dad's house cost less. Yes, that was 50 years ago, but the point remains, it's a heck of a lot of wonga for dog.

soooo, how much do you earn in 24 months???? a LOT more that that, surely... :)

If you added up your elec bill, or your drinking bill for 24 months I am sure that would be MUCH more!! :/

Silver badge
Headmaster

@Illiad. At the risk of sounding like dad, you're comment goes a long way to explain what is wrong with our economy. It's not solely the responsibility of bankers and oversold mortgages you know.

"shiny... tech... must... buy..."

Yes the move to smartphones involved a big stepchange with some serious new user / service inteaction flow dynamics opening up. But really, objectively, as compared with the the value of what the S ii already brings, what extra does this do for you? And don't start quoting the minor updated features and specs listed in this article or you're entirely missing the big-picture point I'm making. Mind you I am saying this as one of the greatest tech device owners I know - but at least I recognise my addiction (and hobby).

Silver badge

@illiad

But buying the phone won't mean you don't need a house any more, surely? It's not an alternative, it's an extra.

Anonymous Coward

Hell, I'm not gonna stop drinking because there's a new smartphone out there.

Booz is me way of life ;-) I'll guess I'll settle for some sheep Nokia or ZTE for now.

Although 4,8" makes a hell of coaster. I wonder if it's beer-absorbent ;-)

Anonymous Coward

It's great to have some fairy-tale 4G connection, isn't it?

Or is that a bit too sarcastic?

Silver badge

mines bigger than yours

Will I need a laptop bag to carry it in?

SuccessCase - Re: "surely cost an arm and a leg"

my dad is long gone - I'm 55 with 40 years experience in elec/TV computers and OS...

I was poking fun at those idiots who make stupid additions... crazy to think in years, when you are paid monthly..

- If you can afford £36 a month(orange), and do not want to use credit, it makes sense to do it..

I wonder if people have worked out how much it would cost to just use the phone??

- *any* network for 900 minutes, 1000 Mb data usage, unlimited texts, plus extras like free cinema tickets, unlimited calls to a special number, etc..

Me, I'm still happy with my G SII, that I got soon after that came out, - FREE phone from CPW, so no branding, and pay Orange only £20 a month, and have no worries about any phone bills, and unlike some here, I dont have to worry about how I can save money by changing provider again, due to impatiently spending a lot of money on a phone that will be on sale for HALF the price in about 6 months!!!! :D :D

Silver badge

Re: SuccessCase - "surely cost an arm and a leg"

Personally I see people who spend £36 a month on beer as being extravagant- horses for courses its your money spend it on what you like. I have an S2 that I bought outright and use a sim of my choice (3 - phoned to cancel got good giff gaff beating deal for retention etc). I wont be getting the s3 as its probably too big for me. I do like the specs though.

£900 a year isnt a lot for a "toy". My classic CB500 costs me far more than that.

Would be nice if at least all mid to high end Androids started getting the NFC Wifi direct sharing capability, if not Apple & Windows Phone too.

The number of times me & mrs sit down looking at each others photos and emailing them back and forth between us, its a fiddly process and would be much easier with this system. But ideally we wouldnt always want to have to keep the same model of phone for this to be possible.

Anonymous Coward

bluetooth them! takes seconds.

If you both have android, and a PC with WiFi, then have a look at this..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&feature=search_result

Anonymous Coward

mr and mrs James

Perhaps you'd both should have gotten a Nokia c7-00 then. Cheap and with NFC already build in. And it works great. Tried with C7-00 and 701 a few times.

The big question about NFC is: Is NFC platform independant? Can an SGS3 NFC-send pictures to... say... a Nokia 700? I know that El Reg neglect the Hell out of Nokia's but since these are the most widespread phones with NFC already shipping I must ask.

Because if it isn't then this is all bullshit. Might as well send stuff over via the old-skool bluetooth-pair-and-send method. Which isn't THAT bad really, is it?

Anonymous Coward

Well said El Reg!

"when much of today's "innovation" involves a coloured case or pretty icon, it's nice to see really new things even if it's far from obvious what they're good for"

Anonymous Coward

Taking bets now: After how many months will Samsung stop the OS support?

(a) after 3 months

(b) after 4 months

(c) after 5 months

(d) after 6 months

Anonymous Coward

Samsung are pretty good at updating software in my experience, my SGS is on 2.3 (ICS would be a bit slow on it, i've seen it)

My Wifes SGS II just gut upgraded to ICS, and its pretty nice!

So considering the SGSII is a year old and mine is 2 years old, I expect at miniumum 2 years of support for OS upgrades, as the only reason SGS doesn't have ICS is speed... I doubt the SGS III will have that issue...

RE: Taking bets now:

And the winner... gets an... LG Optimus 7 >:->

Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: Taking bets now:

BETTING ENDS

Bronze badge
Terminator

and

It's got GLONASS as well as GPS. I don't know why I find that impressive, but I do.

Anonymous Coward

Re: and

Most modern GPS chipsets do - great if you want to go to Russia - oh normal GPS works there just fine = no value.

Anonymous Coward

<Insert soviet russia joke here>

Most modern smartphones (e.g. iPhone 4S) have GLONASS.

The reason is simply, Russia is planning to - if it doesn't already - apply a 25% import tax to phones

that don't support it.

Gold badge

Re: and

GPS gives you a basic accuracy of 30M. If you are driving a car, then your satnav guesses which road you must be on, and then tracks along the road, assuming that is where you are driving. If (and that's a BIG IF in cities), If you can see a few extra sats, the accuracy increases, but since each system only has a few more sats than it needs, the chances are you can't see extra ones, unless you are in the sort of area where it doesn't matter.

Now consider that your phone can see all the GPS and all the GLONAS sats; that's twice as many, possibly giving you higher accuracy, so that if you are walking, your phone may be able to work out actually where you are.

My wife went into a mobile shop recently. She had a firm idea of what kind of phone she wanted. Had to have a keyboard, run Android, small screen.

A salesman asked how he could help, she offered the above specifications, and then asked, "What's the processor speed of the HTC ChaCha? What's the battery time? Do you have a device I can test?"

The salesman looked at her stunned and blank faced.

Behind her, she heard a couple of girls asking an assistant - "What phones come in pink?"

Linux

Xperia Pro

I'd argue the screen on HTC cha cha is a bit too small. Keyboard, Android, not too large screen = Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro £200 SIM-free = smooth UI, great camera, reasonable battery, great high density 3.7" screen. Gingerbread, with ICS coming.

Unfortunately, all major UK retailers have been idiotic and completely ignored devices like this. It seems if it doesn't look exactly like an iPhone clone then they aren't interested in stocking it. A guy in Phones4U also gave me the look of death for suggesting that they should actually let users try phones in shop instead of using only dummies.

Thumb Up

Re: Xperia Pro

Ignored by most, probably, but I didn't. I bought a few week old Xperia S for £280, no contract, I rarely use £10 a month in pay as you go credit, so far so good.

Isn't the S3 a just a bit big for your typical hand? Mine are relatively 'big' ,I found the S2 to be a handful and opted for the Motorola Atrix after tiring of the iPhone 4's small screen. Then again the Xperia S isn't exactly small either...

Thumb Up

I don't disagree, you're right the screen is too small. I almost had to disown my wife for picking something so small ;) But actually the big screens mess with her migraines, so hey-ho.

How about the HTC Desire Z

Have a look on amazon for the Desire Z. Getting on a bit now but can be had cheap and does the job. 3.7 inch screen, large pop out qwerty keyboard and quick enough with Gingerbread. Unofficial ICS is highly likely.

Had HTC bothered to market it over the Desire HD and other models, they may have been more popular but hey, up until the One series, marketing wasn't on HTC's mind at all..

Re: How about the HTC Desire Z

hey if you prefer an old mini, instead of a luxury car.....

Silver badge

I won't step foot in that shop.. It always feels like their used car salesmen...

I prefer CarPhone Warehouse when getting a new phone.... They usually have the real phones available to play with, and i've often asked to try a new phone, and they open a new box for me to try as they've just got them in...

Anonymous Coward

I do n't understand

Wby should anyone care what operating system it uses?

Surely you need to know what it does, how long the battery lasts, quality of hold and support, cost.

If you are aware of the o/s it's failed. Sounds like a fashion follower like the girls seeking pink mobiles. When using a television do you question the system running its functions or just look for functionality?

Size is a good question. If you get something needing extra big pockets or a handbag, go the whole hog and get a tablet or notebook.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I do n't understand

"If you are aware of the o/s it's failed."not if you use apps. I don't know of any apps that give you free port to a different os.

Pint

I reckon the reg review will give it 85%.

Joke

85%

You're forgetting the extra 15% for not being *ppl*! - 100%!!

'Your correspondent created something similar around a decade ago...'

Patent war?! Don't tell me you forgot to...

but does it support AdHoc wifi?

From personal recent experience it send that Android and AdHoc connection are fair from a match made in heaven. The good people at XDA saw me through but I had to faff and root my device......just saying it's not always simple.

Anonymous Coward

Re: but does it support AdHoc wifi?

I haven't had problems with AdHoc wifi on android for ages (granted, I haven't used the stock ROM for ages). On the lumia 800, otoh...

Re: but does it support AdHoc wifi?

Stock ROM on my Xperia running 2.3.4 posting this using ad-hoc, connected in no time, working fine.

FAIL

Not the first

Article says that it's the first phone to support both NFC and Bluetooth LE, but I thought that the HTC One X did as well.

Thumb Up

Re: Not the first

You thought correctly, in fact I have one right here.

Seems El Reg's hack drank too much of the PR kool-aid.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Not the first

They're probably supported by Samsung.

Anonymous Coward

Bonk?

"set up a peer-to-peer connection with a bonk where there's no Wi-Fi network to work with"

Am I missing something?

Anonymous Coward

Reg -> English dictionary

Bonk = NFC

PJI
Bronze badge
Holmes

Re: Reg -> English dictionary

When first I lived in England, "bonk" meant, to hit someone, usually playfully on the head. After some years away it had changed to mean the act of sexual intercourse, possibly still playfully. Now the yanks have appropriated it to mean, I think, touching one mobile against another.

Curious. Is this telephone sex?

Silver badge
Happy

Re: "Reg -> English dictionary" As far as "bonk" is concerned it can certainly.......

........be described as "peer to peer communication".

Gold badge

Bluetooth LE

An example of where this may be found is the various sensors on a bike; wheel rotation, crank rotation, even a heart-rate monitor belt. You don't really want to have to change the battery in those every time you ride your bike. The norm is a year or 2 before the sensors give up the ghost and you need to change them.

A relatively expensive bike computer is crap compared to even the free apps on a phone (which will log the route, etc and allow you to upload it to a computer), add speed/cadence/heart-rate into the mix and it makes for a nice experience, and a "bugger off" to Polar.

Re: Bluetooth LE

If only those sensor companies hadn't gone for ANT+...

Would be a pretty cool way to log all kinds of data....

Something i think would be quite useful would be a load of extra clip on sensors (or magnetic) that one could use on an engine. Is there a limit to how many things you can connect with LE at once?

Gold badge

I don't think that BT itself defines a limit, but there is a finite bandwidth (although LE things normally only transmit small packets occasionally), it's more down to the controller about how many things it can link with. For example, my laptop is connected to a couple of keyboards, mouse, Wacom tablet and a couple of phones with no problems at all, however the stupid Parrot thing in the car can only manage 1 connection.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.