Feeds

back to article Oz asks how much personal data should telcos keep?

Australia’s government will consult with its citizenry to determine how much data telcos should retain about their activities, and how long it should be retained for. Attorney-General Nicola Roxon has asked the nation’s Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security to conduct public hearings on the topic. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Big Brother

They even need to ask?

Enough data for billing. That's all.

Anonymous Coward

Why Not Here?

At least the Australian people are getting a say in the process! The British public don't seem to be.

Silver badge

Re: Why Not Here?

I've lived in Aus long enough to realise that the various governments here will promise the voters lots of nice sounding things but very rarely deliver. A bit like the UK in that respect.

Trollface

Oh we will be consulted

and the guvmn't will do whatever ASIO and the Keystone Cops (thats the Australian Fed Police for non Aussies) want

Boffin

"how much personal data"

The content/details of communications is not the property of telcos.

It belongs to the sender and recipient.

Some of it is personal, some of it is commercial.

But none of it belongs to a telco.

Re: "how much personal data"

I absolutely agree. The only data a Telco needs is that which allows them to complete their billing accurately, as stated previously.

Any consumer data is none of their business. Deep packet inspection facilities should be banned.

If a Government agency requires to monitor an individual's internet data (with judicial oversight), then that data should be routed by the ISP to a Govt. site that has the facilities to monitor and store that data. I emphasize, with judicial oversight.

disucssion

Really? A typo in the subtitle?

This topic is closed for new posts.