back to article Praise for slick six's entries in dirty snaps compo

On 14 April we had old computer buffs salivating over our dirty snaps puzzle, and now we can celebrate the top six Reg readers who sent in their answers to the puzzle. pic_puzller Picture 1 is of a logic element from a first-generation IBM mainframe, the 700 series which used vacuum tubes. The later 7000 series used …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Well done!

Thank you, most of those predate me, so I feel very young and bouncy today.

Well done you bunch of old f*rts!

Re: Well done!

On the other hand, one is humbled by the old techs...we've got it so easy these days, what with being 'abstracted' further and further away from the metal. The days of burnt fingers, chewed tape and the smell of ozone are mostly behind us now.

Silver badge

Ahh that was the contest...

Where the first poster literally found the site those pictures were taken from, one after another, exposing the extremely lazy puzzle making and making it trivial to solve it.

What baffles me is that none of the commentards seemed to read that post.

Pint

Re: Ahh that was the contest...

We read it. We didn't go there. We didn't need to, to answer.

Signed, Olé Fartekodersvater.

... superseded by the 32-bit VAX. That was eventually killed by 32-bit X86-based systems from HP, Dell, Compaq, IBM, etc

Nope. The VAX was superseded by the Alpha. As a product line at least, although I'm aware of a number of Vaxen still chugging along in academic, logistic and industrial environments.

Silver badge
Mushroom

Indeed

VAX production was wound down some five years after Alpha took off, and it was Alpha that was killed after Digital was taken over by Compaq.

We've shut down the last of our VAXes a bit over a year ago, replacing them with DS10's.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Well done!

Real computers have switches and lights.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums